Navy Commando

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by boxy, Dec 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok i know that there is the Royal Navy and the Royal Marines but i have heard of sombody from the Navy doing the commando course and becoming a Navy Commando.

i have looked all over the careers website for this info but could not find any information on it such as what is required of them and their role in the armed forces etc and their everyday life

also im interested to know what uniform they would have, ranks etc

basically everything :D
  2. If you search All Arms Commando Course (I think), it will show you everything you need to know
  3. There's plenty of them do it. Uniform is unchanged, apart from wearing a green beret, 'Navy Commando' flashes on the shoulders of CS95 gear, and a dagger on No 1s. Rank is the same as before. Job may well end up being the same as well - I know of one green-lidded MO who spend his entire general duties time at sea.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

There's quite a few Navy Commandos.

The most obvious ones that spring to mind are the Medics, but I've known stokers (working with the landing craft sqns LCU's) and schoolies.

If they are with 3 cdo brigade they'll wear the same uniform as their unit, Blue no8's or whatever the rig of the day is called now tends to stand out abit when everyone else is running around in desert combats. However if in ceremonial rig they'd wear jacks best bib and tucker as opposed to Lovats or Blues.

Ninja will be along shortly to give you the inside info.
  5. thanks, im thinking of taking this route just so i can know if i can push myself to it, one of my friends is in 45 commando and it would be good to say to him i did it aswell even though i went RN

edit to add: im not in the navy yet but im planning ahead :D
  6. I saw a real life Chief Royal Navy Commando a couple of weeks ago!
    They were green lids with their normal cap badge, and as said before they have a dagger flash on their no1s, on their combats they have Royal Navy Commando flash on the upper arm with the dagger underneath. Not sure of the criteria needed to do it, but it's not incredibly rare to do it, though I think it's something that is a long way away yet, I would really focus on your trade, I too would like to get the opportunity to do it, you don't do the 9 months, more like ~13 weeks I think commando training, though still culminating in the 30 miler.
    Often lads do it to serve with a commando regiment, a lot of Army do the commando course do, making them.... yep you got it, Army Commandos, my brother in law was one - .aspx
  7. If you want your green lid wont it be better to join the marines ????
  8. It isn't a 'route' mate, it is a course you will do if your job role at the time requires it. If pushing yourself through Lympstone is what you want to do, then do it, join the Royal Marines because the way you are currently trying to approach it guarantees nothing.

If you say what branch you are hoping to join it will give us a better idea of the likelihood of you ever doing the All Arms Course.
  9. Can I do the Commando Course? I'm joining as a Steward.
  10. I am a master at Egyptian PT - reckon i would piss Limp stone
  11. Of course.
    However you should be aware that all the Commando Tests have to be completed carrying the tools of your trade.
    A canteen of cutlery, a 12 sitting Dinner service and copious amounts of KY Jelly in your chosen Branch.
  12. Who'd want to be a RN Commando when you can become an STC. If I was still in I'd know which I'd choose if I was previledged with the chance
  13. For gods sake man!! OPSEC!
  14. Pleeze Ninja how long will it take me to do this. Become an AET so that I can service my chopper, then do Pilots and Observers coure so I can fly and get where I want to be ( I know how to switch on a GPS already).
    Do the All Arms course so I can Kill people.
    As I a already a steward I know how to shake people to wake them up in time. my officer insists that I do it his way but he has sworn me to secrecy on his way.
    I want to complete the above before next Chrimbo so that I can finish my time as an ero
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As has been rightly stated earlier in the thread, those who wish to become a Commando are better off joining the Royal Marines as a Commando as it's the only assured route of undergoing the Commando Course.

Whilst certain trades in the RN, Army & RAF may be required to undergo the All Arms Commando Course (AACC) if working within 3 Commando Brigade, the course is not guaranteed.

Even RN Medical Assistants attached to 3 Cdo, who are probably the largest group of RN Commandos (together with maybe Divers) don't necessarily need to undergo AACC - as demonstrated by young Kate Nesbitt MC.
  16. Is that because she is a girl? Of course, how awful would it be for a girl to pass AACC? Tsk, the sky would fall in.
  17. Holy shit, does this mean pilots and observers have to do the tests towing a helicopter? wow.
  18. I was under the impression that two have passed? One 'properly' (as it was put to me, with that exact word so don't shoot the messenger) and one who passed each test but had more time than usual to rest between each one?

Feel free to put me right.
  19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

As I have now stopped wearing my Pussers issue Submariners long johns (they fell apart after 45 years constant wear) am I now a qualified Commando??????
  20. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Here's another one from the medical world

A CPOMA who is now in the RNR in Birmingham (well, up to a couple of years ago to my knowledge) - photo taken from the HMS Forward photo gallery on the RN web-site.