Navy Background Knowledge.....

McCloggie

Lantern Swinger
Great reply Hughes!

Yup, that has really put SgtP in his place and endeared you to all on the forum who will no doubt be only too glad to help you with some constructive advice when you ask for it.

You might even become an average officer when you grow up.

McC

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
My comment was a generalisation of occifers who joined the RN because it seemed the 'right thing to do' and only wanted something from the Navy, rather than consider what they could offer the RN.

hughes_ajs said:
...I really couldn’t care.

Me neither... :yawn:

Samson

Badgeman
It’s a shame to see some of the other comments however to this seemingly innocent question. There will be many people like us who are simply seeking more information about the Navy before applying… this is a Newbie forum after all...

Oh don't worry about him. Us potential officers seem to annoy some of the grumpier senior members of the forum. They often seem to forget that we're usually teenagers with little or no millitary experience rather than old matloes with 20 year service behind us. Just because people epress an interest in becoming an officer does not mean they are the finished article ... thats what BRNC is for, not RR.

Topaz

Lantern Swinger
Samson said:
It’s a shame to see some of the other comments however to this seemingly innocent question. There will be many people like us who are simply seeking more information about the Navy before applying… this is a Newbie forum after all...

Oh don't worry about him. Us potential officers seem to annoy some of the grumpier senior members of the forum. They often seem to forget that we're usually teenagers with little or no millitary experience rather than old matloes with 20 year service behind us. Just because people epress an interest in becoming an officer does not mean they are the finished article ... thats what BRNC is for, not RR.

I agree. Most of them are just grumpy =]
But no wounder they get wound up sometimes though tbh....
I mean the thread about asking what iron to buy!

slim

War Hero
Topaz said:
Samson said:

I agree. Most of them are just grumpy =]
But no wounder they get wound up sometimes though tbh....
I mean the thread about asking what iron to buy!

Topaz
I am one of the old grumpy barstewards and my belief is that if a youngster has the potential to become a Royal naval officer he/she should go for it.
If you read my posts in the newbie section I think you will find most of them helpful though I do tend to get carried away when the English language is abused or stupid questions are asked.

Topaz

Lantern Swinger
slim said:
Topaz
I am one of the old grumpy barstewards and my belief is that if a youngster has the potential to become a Royal naval officer he/she should go for it.
If you read my posts in the newbie section I think you will find most of them helpful though I do tend to get carried away when the English language is abused or stupid questions are asked.

Hey I only called you grumpy! In that post I was only saying the fact that most of you only get wound up because of stupid questions like "What iron to buy". I do know that all of you help people!

Is it just me or does everything someone says on this forum get twisted?

instinct

Lantern Swinger
I find the guys on this forum to be great. Pretty soon i will start my own innane questions about the AIB but i hope to have lurked long enough to be to know how and what to ask with out baiting the same great guys into grumpy mode. All in all its a great resource that one must be careful in using so not to annoy the old, bold and cynical amongst us.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Just to add a bit to FlagWaggers point (and yes I know my grammar and punctuation leave something to be desired)

nykie said:
I will soon be a qualified mechanical engineer (BEng) after graduating ...

Actually after graduating you will have Bachelors of Engineering Degree. In the UK there is no such thing as a qualified Engineer. Since A) Anyone can use the title Engineer (this upsets a large amount of practising Engineers) and B) There is no consensus of what an Engineer is let alone what it means to be qualified as one.

However there are titles such as Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Engineering Technician (EngTech). These titles are awarded in the UK by the Engineering Professional Bodies on behalf of the Engineering Council.

To qualify for any of these titles you have to as the FlagWagger put it

FlagWagger said:
a combination of both "responsible" experience and the degree

You may have noticed that FlagWagger has proclaimed he has lots of both (Education & Experience) by the funny letters before and after his name. European Engineer, Chartered Engineer, Member of the Institute of Engineering & Technology and Member of the Safety and Reliability Society.

Yours

Random

MEng(Hons) MIET AMIMechE (Trying to gain enough responsible experience to add CEng :lol: )

Samson

Badgeman
letthecatoutofthebag said:
Samson said:

Hmmnn... I was once a 20 year old who knew nothing about the RN (and my only experiences of the sea were going to the beach with my parents and going on a cross-channel ferry on a school trip) and had absolutely no experience of the military (I wasn't even in the Scouts!). Somehow I managed to do enough research of my own back to not only pass the AIB, but to get a place at BRNC and thence to pass out. The point I and some of the "grumpier senior members of the forum" are trying to make is that there are a myriad of useful sources to find out information on the forces in general before making posts on this website that have already been made before. At the very least, remember Google, Wiki and (not least) the Search Function are your friends!

I quite accept that there are pleanty of lazy posts in this section that get the response they deserve. However I sometimes sence unnessesary unpleasentness directed at some newbies simple for displaying a bit of naivety. By past standards this thread is very mild, but it is not hard to see that someone considering a career in the RN/RM might be rather put out to ask for advice here and get critisised for it.

slim

War Hero
Topaz said:
slim said:
Topaz

Hey I only called you grumpy! In that post I was only saying the fact that most of you only get wound up because of stupid questions like "What iron to buy". I do know that all of you help people!

Topaz
I wasn't complaining. I like being a grumpy old barsteward :thumright:

Is it just me or does everything someone says on this forum get twisted?

instinct

Lantern Swinger
letthecatoutofthebag said:
Too many people who want to be the RN's future leaders and decision makers appear to be taking the easy route of posting a question on this website without bothering to do their own research. Its not really unpleasantness more exasperation... :thumright: :thumright:

Look on the bright side soon(ish) the leaders of the Royal Navy will be on here asking questions like they did when they first joined! You guys get the keys to the asylum!! :w00t:

Latest Threads