navy accomodation

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ja5on, Aug 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. when you have passed phase two and are sent to a unit/base. Are you allowed dogs in the accomodation and what happens to your wife if you die on operation does she get help finding somewhere to live?

The reason I ask is I have a dog and a wife and only have my medical and interview to go before I get a start date. Cheers for any help.
  2. NO on both counts.
  3. so What happens if I die then does she just get kicked out of the accomodation?

I can't be the only bloke who has joined a little bit older with a pet and wife there must some sort of legistration on this. I suppose we will have to get private accomodation if the MOD doesn't allow pets.
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Brig I think he means MQ's or whatever the current term is, does the no wife/pet rule still apply :wink:
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Ja5on, I thinks Brigs answer refers to Barracks rather than Married Quarters, but someone with more recent knowledge then me will be along directly, even though I came out some years ago I'm fairly sure that you can still take the wife with you to a MQ :wink:
  6. ok thankyou very much started to panic a bit then.
  7. I like the way you mention your dog before your Wife!
  8. I like the dog better it doesn't nag and I only have to feed it twice a day to keep it happy. The wife well.... ha ha ha Please don't tell my wife I won't live for very long
  9. Why, what have you got?
  10. Border collie named max
  11. I was referring to barracks. You can keep a pet in most married quarters and the wife! :)

DHE will have the full rules regarding pets and the like and you will need to talk with them when you view a married quarter in your respective base port (Plymouth, Portsmouth, Gosport etc)

As for the wife being kicked out of the MQ should you die on operations, from what I remember, unless your wife is also serving she gets around 3 months to find alternative accommodation. Although I also remember a widow being allowed to continue living in the MQ but paying the full rent for that area rather than a very reduced MQ type rent. Don't hold me on this though, as things may have changed since I last lived in a MQ.
  12. I didn't know that was terminal.
  13. Ja5on

You are going in as an AET aren't you?
  14. What's DHE?
  15. yes
  16. Defence Housing Executive and they are in charge of all things Married Quarters for all the services.
  17. Good. OK, here are your answers.

Max can stay with you in your married quarters. When you fill in the form for your housing, it will ask you if you have any pets. You just need to say that you have Max; permission is then granted for you to have your pet with you. Permission is usually granted for pets unless you have something very big or dangerous, you know what I mean.

Re the question about the housing. If something were to happen to you, your wife would be allowed to stay in your quarters for two years while everything is sorted out.

I've confirmed this by speaking to an Information Officer at the HIVE at Yeovilton. HIVES are information offices attached to the various bases and they can help you or your wife with any question you might have.

Two HIVES which might be relevant to you are:

But there are others, of course.
  18. Thankyou very much I am always amazed at how knowledgeable you are you always seem to know the answers to everything. Cheers you have been a great help and thats a weight off my mind.
  19. You're welcome.

The Information Officer at Yeovilton said that she will be happy to help you or your wife, just ring up. Of course, you may not be based there, but it seemed a good starting point, given that you are hoping to go in as an AET.

Keep those links I sent you for easier reference further down the line. The HIVEs are very useful and will help your wife when you are busy with your job.

When is your interview?
  20. next week along with the medical I managed to get both on the same day