Navigation in submarines

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Tritech said:
Mmmmm UHT, but MILAC is even better! Nectar of the gods, tastes good in everything, even neat (only if ice cold tho). Its great when the food and milk starts running out and we have to go onto dry provisions. Cant wait to get back to sea! :dwarf:

UHT is bad enough but MILAC is complete ming.

:dwarf:

Frigate34

Badgeman
Background to Dit.

`63/64 Artful leaving GUZ approaching Drake Island.

Skipper to pilot " Where are we Pilot?
Pilot " I`m lost sir" (missed his bearing it was afterall night time!!)
Great mirth - "O happy days"

Anybody recall the under water telephone "Comming up, comming up"
whose listening - Ivan?

Bluetot

Lantern Swinger
Maxi_77 said:
Any one remeber the old mechanical cow used in diesels to reconstitute Milac into what was supposed to taste like real milk.
I remember the old mechanical cow, the result still tasted orrible.

Pirellibelli

Midshipman
x4nd said:
Nutty said:
Tritech said:
You are so right. Every now and again they do a position fix, but mostly its just Abduls corners shop with the dvd's, milk and bread mix. A very very cushy number if you can get it! :thumright:

Wots this milk don't they still use evaportated milk out of tins?????????? How do they keep it fresh all that time.

Nutty

UHT, the milk of kings.

:dwarf:

UHT and Alpenx2 sachets. YUM YUM.

Yorkie_S/M

Lantern Swinger
I always enjoyed the very large tins of frozen milk we got in Canada, has it thawed out it became deliciously creamy, get that on your corn flakes Boy oh.
Getting back on thread. We always prefered the long peice of wire tied to the jetty, the big problem was turning corners, triangulating and going backwards.

Contributor Mode

We can of course revert to the tried and tested 1950/60/70's method of Navigation.

Stop any passing fishing boat and accuse him of fishing inside 12 mile limit, restricted zone etc.

He will reply "No I am not my position is Blah blah blah"

"Thanks Skipper and depart scene"

You know where you are and he has a great dit to tell.

Skipper "You ain't going to believe this comrade but I was stopped by a British submarine"

His mate "Not the one with S53 painted on the side"

Skipper "How did you know"

His mate "That bastard lost again"

Nutty

Nutty said:
Contributor Mode

We can of course revert to the tried and tested 1950/60/70's method of Navigation.

Stop any passing fishing boat and accuse him of fishing inside 12 mile limit, restricted zone etc.

He will reply "No I am not my position is Blah blah blah"

"Thanks Skipper and depart scene"

You know where you are and he has a great dit to tell.

Skipper "You ain't going to believe this comrade but I was stopped by a British submarine"

His mate "Not the one with S53 painted on the side"

Skipper "How did you know"

His mate "That bastard lost again"

Nutty

Regretably that doesn't work now, no fishing boats, not even Russians, that's why they had to develop GPS.

Tritech

Midshipman
letthecatoutofthebag said:
rod-gearing said:
Latest thing now is digital mapping,no need for charts any more.
Does that make the navies yeoman redundant?

AFAIK, most of the Surface Flotila is now equipped with some form of electronic charts (WECDIS = Warship Electronic Chart Display and Information System). It consists of a couple of displays on the bridge, with a laptop backup/ planning aid in the Charthouse. There are a number of GPS inputs (for redundancy) and there are radar, ARPA (Automatic Radar Plotting Aid) and AIS (Automatic Infomation Service) overlays. It can also be interaced with Total Tide (tidal prediction software) and can show realtime predicted tidal information. It's based on ECPINS 5000 made by a Canadian company called OSI. Ships who have received WECDIS accreditation can reduce their paper chart holdings to a minimum, though they are still required to correct these and all the publications that take up space in the charthouse. I don't know if they have got rid of NYs but they were going to close the CMUs.

They have started the roll out to the submarine flotilla but have had some snags implementing dived navigation on the system. That chap I was chatting to a couple of weeks ago implied that the software writers are having some snags writing the code to deal with pools of errors and such like; they are finding it much more difficult to write the software than anticipated.

BTW, I'm a surface navigator not a submariner so I may have some of the dived navigation aspects incorrect. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

Its not like that on bombers matey. Its all black arts and voodoo. Oh and dvd's, bread mix, cereal, uht etc :afro:

AfterSSE

War Hero
"one ping" and only "one ping" number one...
12.gif

Topstop

War Hero
It`ll be great untill water/condensation gets in and it will then it`ll be "Oh 5h1t, where the f£$% are we????" or they`ll want a hard copy of everything so they`ll need more printer paper than they carried charts. :dwarf:

Latest Threads