Navigation in submarines

Something that has puzzled me for sometime is the subject of navigation when a submarine is dived. I can't imagine that a magnetic compass is all that reliable when surrounded by tons of steel, not to mention magnetic fields generated by sonar, coms etc. Astro? er no. Satnav? also no. Radio nav aids? given the piss poor propagaion of EMR underwater that sounds like a non starter.
Look out on the bridge? could be something for the SBS. That leaves INAS with its attendant problems.

Or is there something else?
 

upallroundlook

Midshipman
It's all to do with pools of error, clever inertial nav platforms, bloody accurate charts, using our chum the echo sounder, high standards, good training, experience and a large dollop of good luck.
 
Contributor Mode

Time and Speed give a Distance Run on a Course steered by a expert helmsman plot on chart. Its Rocket Sience.

Now I will have to eat my PC cos I have given the secret away.


Nutty

PS As I heard the Captain say to Vasgo on the Bridge, "Steer East and when you get Ireland on the Seaguard (radar if it has had a name change) tell me"
 

MCCFairy

Badgeman
upallroundlook said:
It's all to do with pools of error, clever inertial nav platforms, bloody accurate charts, using our chum the echo sounder, high standards, good training, experience and a large dollop of good luck.

Except on Revenge - the number of things she ran into !
 
Nutty said:
Contributor Mode

Time and Speed give a Distance Run on a Course steered by a expert helmsman plot on chart. Its Rocket Sience.

Now I will have to eat my PC cos I have given the secret away.


Nutty

PS As I heard the Captain say to Vasgo on the Bridge, "Steer East and when you get Ireland on the Seaguard (radar if it has had a name change) tell me"

Thank you Nutty, this high tech method is otherwise known as dead reckoning. It's interesting to see that a method that served Columbus and others of his era or even the Romans is still alive and well. :thanks: So don't eat your PC, although it is low on calories and BSE free.

I assume from the other replies that the writers are not navs or daren't admit it.

So if there are any navigators out there, don' t be shy give me a bit more gen please, without compromising national security that is.
 
MCCFairy said:
upallroundlook said:
It's all to do with pools of error, clever inertial nav platforms, bloody accurate charts, using our chum the echo sounder, high standards, good training, experience and a large dollop of good luck.

Except on Revenge - the number of things she ran into !

How could that happen? After all it's not as if a woman was in command or at the helm. :w00t:






Sorry Ladies.
 

spearfish

War Hero
Laser inertial reference systems plus a gps fix every so often = very accurate position.OOps the men in the black cars are knocking on the door!
 

SELJUK

War Hero
SINS.
Ships Inertial Navigation System..........Which, if you told it exactly where it was it would tell you roughly where you were.
On Swiftsure....a mighty fine submarine and Cold War warrior who should NOT be rusting away up in Rosyth by the way......had a sign on the SINS door. It said in plain English, along with the other message of dissembowlment and wotnot if you let slip any of what goes on behind the door along the lines of.
SINS is a multi million pound piece of electronic equipment that, if you tell it exactly where it is - it will tell you roughly where you are. Keep your mitten grrrrabben hands in pockets.....relax.....sit back and watch the spitzensparken. On no account are you to say ANY multiplication tables out loud.
The SINS room.....always a quiet space in which to boff up on your Part Three quals....if you could handle the continuous high frequency whine. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. It was like tinnitus in a cup. :slow:
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top