Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Naval Urban Myths

fishmiester said:
What about the one where a coloured rating joins a ship.
Shouts down the ladder to his new mess "Below, have you got any n***ers :oops: in the mess?"
The answer comes back "no F**k off"
New guy throws kit bag down ladder and shouts "Well you have now"

Damn, I fell for that one - I thought it happened on my ship!

(Except the answer from below was just a plain "No, why?")
 
What about famous people who were in the mob?
I was told Jim Davidson was in, then found out he wasn't.
The only one I know for sure was Sean Connery (Watching Rising Sun, so his name came to mind) Know of any others?
 
Lingyai said:
Salute A Midi? That'll be the day. Only if he was OOD doing rounds.

in my time, when I was a baby sailor, I served onboard HMS Isis who was a training ship for the middies at Dartmouth. when we left Vernon to go pick them up I was told by the Jimmy not to salute them, as I was higher in the Naval ladder than any of them,
and none of them were allowed to be OOD because they weren't Officers yet.
It used to piss them off big style when we went ashore and they were left behind as the duty watch.

It was the tradition of saluting the uniform(commission), not the person, this is why we didn't salute an officer who wasn't wearing his cap, because he wasn't in full uniform.
The only time this was done would be when we were on main gate / gangway and the skipper walked through, even in civvies he could be saluted, but was merely a mark of respect and definitely not the law.
 
Sea_Dodger said:
What about famous people who were in the mob?

I was at sea with Prince Charles, is he considered famous?

he liked his kye and marmite toast through the middle watch oops is that contravening the OSA ?

.....mmmmm !!!!
 
Sea_Dodger said:
What about famous people who were in the mob?
I was told Jim Davidson was in, then found out he wasn't.
The only one I know for sure was Sean Connery (Watching Rising Sun, so his name came to mind) Know of any others?

Mike Osman - Capital Gold DJ
David Wells - Most Haunted Psychic
 
Dave Rawson ex-CPOMA , Hypnotist and ex-submariner

Saw him do a gig in Hong Kong recently. Shep Wooley does a gig here quite often also.
 
Chris Kamara - ex professional footballer and now presenter on Sky Sports football shows. He visited Collingwood about 2 years ago and they had him marching around the parade ground.
 
ali_p said:
It was the tradition of saluting the uniform(commission), not the person, this is why we didn't salute an officer who wasn't wearing his cap, because he wasn't in full uniform.

Ali, a commission is a piece of paper signed by the Queen. Still, Spike Milligan tells about how he used to call his ossifer in the morning and salute the cap sitting on the table instead of the ossifer!
 
My Yeoman on my first ship told me that the youngest officer onboard was allowed to grow a goatee "so as to pass as a dutchman in time of war."
 
brigham600 said:
Chris Kamara - ex professional footballer and now presenter on Sky Sports football shows. He visited Collingwood about 2 years ago and they had him marching around the parade ground.

He was an ex-sonar rate. Went to DQs to get hoofed out to go play football.

Levers
 
fishmiester said:
What about the one where a coloured rating joins a ship.
Shouts down the ladder to his new mess "Below, have you got any n***ers :oops: in the mess?"
The answer comes back "no F**k off"
New guy throws kit bag down ladder and shouts "Well you have now"

I heard that this happened on the Brum back in 91/92 when said rating was a killick reggie.

On a similar theme, there was a STWD at HMS Flying Fox back in 10MCM days (redirect to RNR forum....) who was known as Chalky who was an absolute scream; on a run to Lisbon when all muppets and dabbers are sub-bathing on the Carron's sweepdeck, Chalky appears wearing burberry, gloves and scarf, looks at vast array of dazzling white skin and shouts out "fcuking amateurs!" :)

Flags
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top