Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Naval Urban Myths

My understanding was that on joining, as a Cadet in my day, but I understand this has changed over the years your were commisioned but with a warrant commision, once you had reached the dizzy heights as a two ringer and had your BWC and ONC then you got your Queens commision which is the very nice bit of paper you mention. Despite dating from 1970 I finally got mine framed about two years ago.

Peter
 
Cpuke said:
I'm about to throw a 'thundy' into the commission debate. I was commissioned as a Lt in 1979 some five years after Dartmouth compared with my two brothers in the army and RAF (Crabfat, Pheeewt!) who were commissioned after they passed out of Sandhurst/Cranwell as a one pipper and a pilot officer respectively(both equivelant to a Middy). How should this be so? Well my information is that a Naval Officer is not considered to be fully commissioned until he is appointed Lieutenant (tradition, bearing in mind that Subby didn't exist in Nelsons day) Further, that the Queen would prefer to personally sign the Warrants of Naval Officers over the other two services. This would seem the case as my Warrant appears perfectly authentic whereas my sibs seem to have been 'issued' with a rather colourful and gaudy facsimile not unlike a Crossing the Line Certificate. Where does saluting come into this? Your call but remember the rules. As a 2 1/2 I never expected a salute from a Lt but still saluted a Cdr. I could be wrong and would be pleased to be debunked by this well informed forum as I am one of those duped by the sword dragging myth. I miss the Navy!

I thought that you gained your commission once you passed your Fleet Board. You were then confirmed as a Sub Lt (though there were people who made Lt before Fleet Board, especially the Schoolies). In 1991 ASLt dissappeared as a rank in the RN (though continues in the RNR). Looking at my commissioning parchment, however, it "appoints you to be an Officer in Our Royal Navy" from a date a month before I passed my Fleet Board, and several months after I left Dartmouth, and it's into the rank of Acting Sub Lt.

The chap who used to write in peoples names, rank, dates etc on RN parchments retired in the late 80s, so all parchments are similar to Army and RAF ones - computer generated. Subtle difference like the seal is embossed on mine, while my wifes Army parchment is just a print, ERII is couloured in mine but just plain black on the wifes, different colour paper, etc.

As for the LHM signing them individually, I have been absolutely assured (by the department at Collingwood that used to deal with them that this is a myth, and that a stamp used to be used (now probably computer generated?). Its been decades since any parchments were signed by the Sovereign. That being said, the signatures on my wifes and I's parchments are different and in completely different places.
 
PartTimer said:
I thought that you gained your commission once you passed your Fleet Board. You were then confirmed as a Sub Lt (though there were people who made Lt before Fleet Board, especially the Schoolies). In 1991 ASLt dissappeared as a rank in the RN (though continues in the RNR). Looking at my commissioning parchment, however, it "appoints you to be an Officer in Our Royal Navy" from a date a month before I passed my Fleet Board, and several months after I left Dartmouth, and it's into the rank of Acting Sub Lt.

You are supposed to get your commissioning scroll in the RN upon joining the "trained strength", according to BR 8373. Your commission should be granted when first appointed to the rank of Sub-Lieutenant.

Quite how this works in practice in the RN is beyond me. In the RNR commissioning scrolls are given after Fleet Board, upon promotion to the commissioned rank of Sub-Lieutenant. This is despite the fact that one still has to do branch training to join the trained strength.

But in the RN the initial appointment is to Sub-Lieutenant, now that ASLts have been abolished. Are subbies at Dartmouth therefore commissioned officers? Note that it is possible to be a commissioned officer despite not having a commissioning scroll, as many Army officers who never got theirs can attest. The scroll should have two dates, one the date of seniority (AIB date +/- awarded rank) and the date of joining the trained strength, i.e. the date of issue.

I think a petition to Her Majesty is in order, asking that she resume personally signing commissions, now that the Armed Forces are so small.
 
hammockhead said:
The scroll should have two dates, one the date of seniority (AIB date +/- awarded rank) and the date of joining the trained strength, i.e. the date of issue..

Wel well, the date of issue would certainly tally up - "Given at Our Court of St James' ..... ", 11 months later and when I completed my professional training.

Never got another one issued for my RNR commission though (despite having been SL, so my commission expired on completion of my time on the Emergency List).
 
When I joined the Campbeltown back in *cough* 2000 *cough*, the lads tried the usual trick of baiting me in with tales of the scary kind!

But this one was kind of true, years before a P.O. died in his pit after a night out. Classed as adult cot death or something, any way the dit went like this;

No one would sleep in that 1 bunk, which is the true part after his P.O. died. People have claimed to see him walking about 1 deck in the wee hours of the morning. How ever when it was my turn to do the hourly W.E. rounds, it was bad enough going on the upper deck int he dark as it was. Fred ( dummy used for MOB ex.) was known for turning up in nice places to scare you. My first set of rounds on my own, as usual, I would go up onto the bridge and as the OOW for permission to go onto the upper deck. As I was walking along I could see a shadow moving up on the main mast. I flicked my tourch and screamed! Only realising it was Fred, catching my breath and entering the hatch onto 1 deck I saw another shadow! Shouting down, 'yeah yeah lads, you have had your fun!', I had no answer. Following what I thought to be some one into one of the Annex's, I laughed a bit, but entering the annex there was no one, no exit apart from the one I was standing in, I became worried. I pegged it down to the OPs room explaining what had happened. Expecting the on watch to think I was made, they replied 'Don't worry, he scares every one at first'.

Am I the only one, or did/does this type of 'myth' actually happen throughout the fleet?
 
Jenny_Dabber said:
When I joined the Campbeltown back in *cough* 2000 *cough*, the lads tried the usual trick of baiting me in with tales of the scary kind!

But this one was kind of true, years before a P.O. died in his pit after a night out. Classed as adult cot death or something, any way the dit went like this;

No one would sleep in that 1 bunk, which is the true part after his P.O. died. People have claimed to see him walking about 1 deck in the wee hours of the morning. How ever when it was my turn to do the hourly W.E. rounds, it was bad enough going on the upper deck int he dark as it was. Fred ( dummy used for MOB ex.) was known for turning up in nice places to scare you. My first set of rounds on my own, as usual, I would go up onto the bridge and as the OOW for permission to go onto the upper deck. As I was walking along I could see a shadow moving up on the main mast. I flicked my tourch and screamed! Only realising it was Fred, catching my breath and entering the hatch onto 1 deck I saw another shadow! Shouting down, 'yeah yeah lads, you have had your fun!', I had no answer. Following what I thought to be some one into one of the Annex's, I laughed a bit, but entering the annex there was no one, no exit apart from the one I was standing in, I became worried. I pegged it down to the OPs room explaining what had happened. Expecting the on watch to think I was made, they replied 'Don't worry, he scares every one at first'.

Am I the only one, or did/does this type of 'myth' actually happen throughout the fleet?

Never came across it onboard. Met a female Officer once who said when she was at Dartmouth she remember walking down the Quarterdeck and saluting a Wren Officer, whom she did not recognise, who had blue braid (blue only having been replaced by gold a couple of years previously), an odd cut to her uniform and a rather dated hairstyle. She didn't know at the time that during WWII the Quarterdeck was hit by a German bomb and a WrenO killed.
 
PartTimer said:
Jenny_Dabber said:
When I joined the Campbeltown back in *cough* 2000 *cough*, the lads tried the usual trick of baiting me in with tales of the scary kind!

But this one was kind of true, years before a P.O. died in his pit after a night out. Classed as adult cot death or something, any way the dit went like this;

No one would sleep in that 1 bunk, which is the true part after his P.O. died. People have claimed to see him walking about 1 deck in the wee hours of the morning. How ever when it was my turn to do the hourly W.E. rounds, it was bad enough going on the upper deck int he dark as it was. Fred ( dummy used for MOB ex.) was known for turning up in nice places to scare you. My first set of rounds on my own, as usual, I would go up onto the bridge and as the OOW for permission to go onto the upper deck. As I was walking along I could see a shadow moving up on the main mast. I flicked my tourch and screamed! Only realising it was Fred, catching my breath and entering the hatch onto 1 deck I saw another shadow! Shouting down, 'yeah yeah lads, you have had your fun!', I had no answer. Following what I thought to be some one into one of the Annex's, I laughed a bit, but entering the annex there was no one, no exit apart from the one I was standing in, I became worried. I pegged it down to the OPs room explaining what had happened. Expecting the on watch to think I was made, they replied 'Don't worry, he scares every one at first'.

Am I the only one, or did/does this type of 'myth' actually happen throughout the fleet?

Never came across it onboard. Met a female Officer once who said when she was at Dartmouth she remember walking down the Quarterdeck and saluting a Wren Officer, whom she did not recognise, who had blue braid (blue only having been replaced by gold a couple of years previously), an odd cut to her uniform and a rather dated hairstyle. She didn't know at the time that during WWII the Quarterdeck was hit by a German bomb and a WrenO killed.
Nice dit, although not strictly true as the girl who died was a killick... mind you there have been plenty of real life WRNS officers at BRNC with dated haircuts....(brace brace brace...)
 
Ghost stories are not uncommon. If there has'nt actually been a death onboard then somebody might invent a story about a shipbuilder who got sealed into one of the void spaces.
 
One man onboard is allowed a goatee beard. You can still tar your hair at the CO's discreation. Any truth in these. Steve Harland told me the first one but we all know how communicators LIE.
 
Won't go into the tarred pigtail!! :lol: :lol:


As for the beards I think the wording on the request form is 'to discontinue shaving'

So anything other than a full set ain't strictly legal------also I thought they inspected the 'beard' after a couple of weeks to see if it was full and not unsightly .

Seen quite a few guys with the big sideburns and nobody bothered.
 
Greenie said:
Won't go into the tarred pigtail!! :lol: :lol:


As for the beards I think the wording on the request form is 'to discontinue shaving'

So anything other than a full set ain't strictly legal------also I thought they inspected the 'beard' after a couple of weeks to see if it was full and not unsightly .

Seen quite a few guys with the big sideburns and nobody bothered.

The length, size and position of sideburns are regulated in Uniform Reguations
 
The regulations allowing tarred pigtails where (allegedly) only withdrawn in the late 70s.
IIRC its actually 21 days after the request form goes in that you must have grown a full set.
 
THEONLYGASMAN said:
Steve Harland told me the first one but we all know how communicators LIE.

Not strictly true, we don't lie we just can't tell you the truth as you're not cleared!

You can't beat the feeling of hearing people talking about the gash buzz you've started because it must be true, it came from the MCO!

People will never learn not to believe a word I say in the mess!
 

Latest Threads

Top