Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Naval Urban Myths

Guzzler said:
Capn_Pugwash said:
WO Jack Dusty in NELSON, used to serve on the counter in Slops.

Got people who paid by cheque to make the out to SUPPLY OFFICER NELSON - "just put SO NELSON, that will do".

He had a bank account in the Midlands in the name of SO NELSON!

Only did about £10K before he got caught, cost him his lump sum, pension and whatever else.

It was a POwtr, Sydney Oscar Achilles. Other must be a myth as the Achilles one prompted changing from "SO..." to "Public Sub Account..." and was before WOs replaced Fleet Chiefs.

The NELSON one is a complete myth but it was Stanley Oliver Achilles that he changed his name to. Sorry to be a pedant!
 
A LS(S) on my last ship has spun this dit too. Claims that before joning the mob he used to knock around with the Bros boys before they were famous and wrote a couple of songs with them.
 
jambosun said:
Guzzler said:
Capn_Pugwash said:
WO Jack Dusty in NELSON, used to serve on the counter in Slops.

Got people who paid by cheque to make the out to SUPPLY OFFICER NELSON - "just put SO NELSON, that will do".

He had a bank account in the Midlands in the name of SO NELSON!

Only did about £10K before he got caught, cost him his lump sum, pension and whatever else.

It was a POwtr, Sydney Oscar Achilles. Other must be a myth as the Achilles one prompted changing from "SO..." to "Public Sub Account..." and was before WOs replaced Fleet Chiefs.

The NELSON one is a complete myth but it was Stanley Oliver Achilles that he changed his name to. Sorry to be a pedant!

Fair one jambosun, just pretending to be a little more in the know than I am :study:
 
1. judi Spiers was renowned as an Oggy gunny-bunny, heard some shite about what the Gus puppeteer used to get up to also. Not heard the fern Britten one, but Nina Myskow was a Sun journo and I've heard something about her in a gun bar.
2. ghost stories-most ships have one. Fact- Cornwall had a suicide hanging in the FAMR, always thought that space had a strange atmosphere to it. i was told T22 Sheffield also had hanging in the same space on 1st commiss, but only heard that from 1 guy, anyone else confirm that, because if true, the starter next to where the act was said to have happened started itself for no apparent reason for years afterwards.
 
Capn_Pugwash said:
WO Jack Dusty in NELSON, used to serve on the counter in Slops.

Got people who paid by cheque to make the out to SUPPLY OFFICER NELSON - "just put SO NELSON, that will do".

He had a bank account in the Midlands in the name of SO NELSON!

Only did about £10K before he got caught, cost him his lump sum, pension and whatever else.

i heard something similar to that one but it was so cash, when we cashed cheques on board wernt they made out to supply officer cash ??
 
killikgolly said:
A LS(S) on my last ship has spun this dit too. Claims that before joning the mob he used to knock around with the Bros boys before they were famous and wrote a couple of songs with them.

yeh pricky spun me that one too, i believe him tho.
 
killikgolly said:
A LS(S) on my last ship has spun this dit too. Claims that before joning the mob he used to knock around with the Bros boys before they were famous and wrote a couple of songs with them.

yeh pricky spun me that one too, i believe him tho.
 
It is a true dit (re: LS Pricky Price), but he's been spinning for so long, you'd think the novelty would've worn off by now, wouldn't it? I mean, most young matelots weren't even born when Bros were "famous"... has nothing else worthwhile ever happened in his life? 8O :yawn:
 
tiddlyoggy said:
1. judi Spiers was renowned as an Oggy gunny-bunny, heard some shite about what the Gus puppeteer used to get up to also. Not heard the fern Britten one, but Nina Myskow was a Sun journo and I've heard something about her in a gun bar.
2. ghost stories-most ships have one. Fact- Cornwall had a suicide hanging in the FAMR, always thought that space had a strange atmosphere to it. i was told T22 Sheffield also had hanging in the same space on 1st commiss, but only heard that from 1 guy, anyone else confirm that, because if true, the starter next to where the act was said to have happened started itself for no apparent reason for years afterwards.

My bold, the chap who killed himself in the FAMR on the cornwall was a mate of mine back in the day, It always seemed strange when I got drafted to the cornwall 16 years later, the farm was my least favorite space.
One common ghost story told on ships that had served in the Falklands conflict was that the fridge space was haunted by the souls of the casalties who had been stored in the freezers. I've heard that tale on at least 1 ship that did not even have any casualties.
 
Rincewind said:
"under military law, subordinates can not have more wealth than the officers and commanding officers - or there will not be any respect which is detremantal to the fighting effectiveness of a unit"

so i guess the pools/lottery winnings would result in a commision or a discharge.

Rincewind

Is this true or a myth?

Is there anywhere I could read up on this and other things that the AFCO forget to tell us?

Jack!
 
Jack! said:
Rincewind said:
"under military law, subordinates can not have more wealth than the officers and commanding officers - or there will not be any respect which is detremantal to the fighting effectiveness of a unit"

so i guess the pools/lottery winnings would result in a commision or a discharge.

Rincewind

Is this true or a myth?

Is there anywhere I could read up on this and other things that the AFCO forget to tell us?

Jack!

I'm pretty certain that it's a myth. :? :?
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top