Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Naval Urban Myths

When I left boats and returned to Collingrad a fellow escapee from Faslane went to the Stationery store to get his joiner's allowance of writing material.
He was given a pad of note paper, then he asked if there was any lined paper.
The civvy in the store then told him "Sorry Chief, lined paper is for Lt Cdrs and above only". !!

Presume they didn't get issued with a ruler ?

MCCFairy said:
When I left boats and returned to Collingrad a fellow escapee from Faslane went to the Stationery store to get his joiner's allowance of writing material.
The civvy in the store then told him "Sorry Chief, lined paper is for Lt Cdrs and above only". !!

Do you remember when Reggies and scribes always did their "best" handwriting by writing along the top of a ruler?

clanky said:
MCCFairy said:

Do you remember when Reggies and scribes always did their "best" handwriting by writing along the top of a ruler?

It wasn't confined to crushers and scribes either. Most Clubswingers would stick up their scrawlings on the Sports noticeboard in the same fashion and as I remember, my first ship's ME watch and station bill was appended by the Chief Stoker likewise.

Levers

Levers_Aligned said:
clanky said:
MCCFairy said:

It wasn't confined to crushers and scribes either. Most Clubswingers would stick up their scrawlings on the Sports noticeboard in the same fashion and as I remember, my first ship's ME watch and station bill was appended by the Chief Stoker likewise.

Levers

The modern version of which is the infamous tech office laminator.

What about the story I was told that if you were a naughty boy, the letter with your leave card etc would have the letters WTC on them, apparently it was a warning to the next draft to "Watch This ****"

chockhead819 said:
What about the story I was told that if you were a naughty boy, the letter with your leave card etc would have the letters WTC on them, apparently it was a warning to the next draft to "Watch This *"

True, but usually "WTB" written by the Joss on the corner of the Discharge Note (not your copy, but the one that is sent to your next Unit...)! A good way of finding out who your scrotes were before they caused trouble. And I should know - I probably had it written on many of mine... :twisted:

A killick I knew was on the Ark Royal in the States (whilst 'Sailor' was being filmed onboard) when one of the lads went on the trot. He was sat in the mess one morning when, a few days after he did the runner, in walks the absentee. The couple of lads in the mess explain that his locker has been emptied etc but he says he isn't bothered as he just has a few things to sort out. Apparetntly he goes up to the ships office, tells them he has no cheques left and his new cheque book hasn't arrived and can he have the biggest advance of pay available.....he duly recieves and signs for hundreds of dollars, tells the lads in the mess he is sorted for a job and a bird stateside, says cheerio and is never seen again.............

RINGO said:
The story about "THE BIG ONE" did the rounds on the Hermione. You know the one, each ship had a Special Magazine where they kept the nuclear weapon. When it was loaded onto the Wasp, they knew they weren't coming back, Yeah, Right!! This Special Magazine wasn't on any rounds route, strange that!

Hmmn, Ever heard of "Yellow Key Routine" operating on the Air Weapons mag?

If you haven't that would explain why you never found the special magazine.

Ninja_Stoker said:
RINGO said:
The story about "THE BIG ONE" did the rounds on the Hermione. You know the one, each ship had a Special Magazine where they kept the nuclear weapon. When it was loaded onto the Wasp, they knew they weren't coming back, Yeah, Right!! This Special Magazine wasn't on any rounds route, strange that!

Assuming you were not a double signatory of the OSA, (not the PWO, the WE TMR S/R or J/R, an air rate from small ships, or pilot), then you will not hear about the weapon in question. As we don't have it anymore, some stuff is in the public domain, wiki is mostly correct....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WE.177

What I can tell you is if you know any wasp ratings or aircrew (ex wasp L2 I think might have been one...) they could tell you that the all up weight of the aircraft with the "store" and the endurance of the aircraft make the range shorter than the trip required to drop one, but its more likely that after initiation, the aircraft would not be capable of flying anyway, as I don't think the EMP produced by a 10kt weapon was large, but enough to do a lot of damage to the aircraft systems. I dont think the Wasp or Lynx was tested in this manner, but any AEO/test pilots or Boscome ratings may know different.

So basically Ringos myth is in fact, true......

Ninja_Stoker said:
RINGO said:

No.

..and I never went looking for it!

PinkMafiosi said:
Oil_Slick said:
allwings said:
I heard that Fern Britten got teh scak from presenting a local telly program in the 1980's after she got caught being spit roasted by 2 bootnecks. They didn't catch her, they were doing her.

It was told to me as gospel not a bite, but I've not heard anything more. I emailed This Morning, but have yet to receive a reply.

are you sure that it wasn't judi spiers, the bird who always did gus honeybun with uncle ian . rumour was she loved the royals.She also presented this morning.

Judi Speirs?

I wouldn't mind stroking her pussy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/images/2005/10/03/judi_spiers_350x300.jpg

Yes - I thought it was the insatiable Judi, too.

There should be a Bring Back Gus Movement. Bunny hops all round and press the magic button.

The way I heard it, Judi was green meat, Fern's penchant was for field gunners

Latest Threads