Naval Urban Myths

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Guzzler said:
Capn_Pugwash said:
WO Jack Dusty in NELSON, used to serve on the counter in Slops.

Got people who paid by cheque to make the out to SUPPLY OFFICER NELSON - "just put SO NELSON, that will do".

He had a bank account in the Midlands in the name of SO NELSON!

Only did about £10K before he got caught, cost him his lump sum, pension and whatever else.
It was a POwtr, Sydney Oscar Achilles. Other must be a myth as the Achilles one prompted changing from "SO..." to "Public Sub Account..." and was before WOs replaced Fleet Chiefs.
The NELSON one is a complete myth but it was Stanley Oliver Achilles that he changed his name to. Sorry to be a pedant!

killikgolly

Midshipman
A LS(S) on my last ship has spun this dit too. Claims that before joning the mob he used to knock around with the Bros boys before they were famous and wrote a couple of songs with them.

Guzzler

War Hero
jambosun said:
Guzzler said:
Capn_Pugwash said:

Got people who paid by cheque to make the out to SUPPLY OFFICER NELSON - "just put SO NELSON, that will do".

Only did about £10K before he got caught, cost him his lump sum, pension and whatever else.
It was a POwtr, Sydney Oscar Achilles. Other must be a myth as the Achilles one prompted changing from "SO..." to "Public Sub Account..." and was before WOs replaced Fleet Chiefs.
The NELSON one is a complete myth but it was Stanley Oliver Achilles that he changed his name to. Sorry to be a pedant!
Fair one jambosun, just pretending to be a little more in the know than I am :study:

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
1. judi Spiers was renowned as an Oggy gunny-bunny, heard some shite about what the Gus puppeteer used to get up to also. Not heard the fern Britten one, but Nina Myskow was a Sun journo and I've heard something about her in a gun bar.
2. ghost stories-most ships have one. Fact- Cornwall had a suicide hanging in the FAMR, always thought that space had a strange atmosphere to it. i was told T22 Sheffield also had hanging in the same space on 1st commiss, but only heard that from 1 guy, anyone else confirm that, because if true, the starter next to where the act was said to have happened started itself for no apparent reason for years afterwards.

frogmanfil

Midshipman
Capn_Pugwash said:

i heard something similar to that one but it was so cash, when we cashed cheques on board wernt they made out to supply officer cash ??

killikgolly said:
A LS(S) on my last ship has spun this dit too. Claims that before joning the mob he used to knock around with the Bros boys before they were famous and wrote a couple of songs with them.
yeh pricky spun me that one too, i believe him tho.

killikgolly said:
yeh pricky spun me that one too, i believe him tho.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It is a true dit (re: LS Pricky Price), but he's been spinning for so long, you'd think the novelty would've worn off by now, wouldn't it? I mean, most young matelots weren't even born when Bros were "famous"... has nothing else worthwhile ever happened in his life? 8O :yawn:

clanky

War Hero
tiddlyoggy said:
1. judi Spiers was renowned as an Oggy gunny-bunny, heard some shite about what the Gus puppeteer used to get up to also. Not heard the fern Britten one, but Nina Myskow was a Sun journo and I've heard something about her in a gun bar.
2. ghost stories-most ships have one. Fact- Cornwall had a suicide hanging in the FAMR, always thought that space had a strange atmosphere to it. i was told T22 Sheffield also had hanging in the same space on 1st commiss, but only heard that from 1 guy, anyone else confirm that, because if true, the starter next to where the act was said to have happened started itself for no apparent reason for years afterwards.
My bold, the chap who killed himself in the FAMR on the cornwall was a mate of mine back in the day, It always seemed strange when I got drafted to the cornwall 16 years later, the farm was my least favorite space.
One common ghost story told on ships that had served in the Falklands conflict was that the fridge space was haunted by the souls of the casalties who had been stored in the freezers. I've heard that tale on at least 1 ship that did not even have any casualties.

Jack!

Midshipman
Rincewind said:
"under military law, subordinates can not have more wealth than the officers and commanding officers - or there will not be any respect which is detremantal to the fighting effectiveness of a unit"

so i guess the pools/lottery winnings would result in a commision or a discharge.

Rincewind
Is this true or a myth?

Is there anywhere I could read up on this and other things that the AFCO forget to tell us?

Jack!

clanky

War Hero
Jack! said:
Rincewind said:
"under military law, subordinates can not have more wealth than the officers and commanding officers - or there will not be any respect which is detremantal to the fighting effectiveness of a unit"

so i guess the pools/lottery winnings would result in a commision or a discharge.

Rincewind
Is this true or a myth?

Is there anywhere I could read up on this and other things that the AFCO forget to tell us?

Jack!
I'm pretty certain that it's a myth. :? :?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
What about the one where Jack was nicking mercury which he had hidden in the frame of his bike. On being stopped at the Dockyard gate, his bike fell over and it took 3 ModPlods to lift it......True dit

Or Jack on his bike (again!) having nicked a load of meat from the galley. Same routine, falls off bike at Dockyard Gate, ModPlod sees blood on his clothing.........

Oh please, must be an element of truth?

Guzzler

War Hero
Nicking Mercury in the frame of his bike?

Good job it wasn't somewhere like Collingwood, it'd take years! :wink:

Rumrat

War Hero
SONAR-BENDER said:
What about the one where Jack was nicking mercury which he had hidden in the frame of his bike. On being stopped at the Dockyard gate, his bike fell over and it took 3 ModPlods to lift it......True dit

Or Jack on his bike (again!) having nicked a load of meat from the galley. Same routine, falls off bike at Dockyard Gate, ModPlod sees blood on his clothing.........

Chatham dockyard, Jack approaches dockyard copper and tells him that on Thursday he is bringing out a few thousand fags in a wheelbarrow covered in sand, and if he lets him through he will do a split with him on the profits.
Copper agrees, so to make it look good jack trundles through all week with his barrow.
Comes Thursday he is going out and the copper double crosses him and makes him tip the barrow.
Nothing, and pretending not to be put out he tells the cop its tomorrow. Copper tells him OK clean up the sand and fcuk off.
Thursday night in the "Bootneck", Jacks in there getting paid for all the sand and barrows hes flogged. :roll: :wink:

SONAR-BENDER said:

The secnd one may be a POMEM(M) from HMS Cardiff in 1980. We had one stopped at the gate and he had meat from onboard in his grip. He lost his rate for that one, plus his badges. Whilst waiting for Skippers he was referred to by all the ME dept as POMEM Dewhurst (back in the day when we still had those on the high street). :lol:

Rumrat

War Hero
In '65 at Raleigh there was a tale going round as to how a certain AB had worked his ticket, and I have heard it in various guises since.
This AB suddenly starts wearing a home made crown everywhere he goes.
First he's trooped a few times, but all the time he's claiming to be the king of England.
They send him as far a field as Harley St but still he persists and claims to be King.
Eventually he gets his discharge papers and he's walking through the main gate without his crown.
The RPO call's him and say's "Hey you forgot your crown",

Comes the reply" I've abdicated". 8O 8) :oops: