Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Naval Urban Myths

Maxi_77 said:
Had one of the first Saudis at BRNC when I was there, quite a reasonable guy, always claimed he was sent to the Saudi Navy as a punishment (he had been in the army) because he had upset his family.
Why do you think I had to join up??

delpower said:
clanky said:
The question about what happens to the mony paid as fines has already been covered in this thread.
Back on topic, has anyone actually seen the fully working gallows thats supposedly located in South Yard?

yes when i joined up, we were meant to have a ships tour as part of part one training, none available so we had a indepth tour of dock yard. It is there

Its still there I saw it last year.

I heard that Fern Britten got teh scak from presenting a local telly program in the 1980's after she got caught being spit roasted by 2 bootnecks. They didn't catch her, they were doing her.

It was told to me as gospel not a bite, but I've not heard anything more. I emailed This Morning, but have yet to receive a reply.

are you sure that it wasn't judi spiers, the bird who always did gus honeybun with uncle ian . rumour was she loved the royals.She also presented this morning.

allwings said:
are you sure that it wasn't judi spiers, the bird who always did gus honeybun with uncle ian . rumour was she loved the royals.She also presented this morning.

We rented a house in Alfred Street on the Hoe during refit in the early eighties, she lived next door but one. She didn't go much on matelots I can tell you - called the police when I banged on her door at 3 in the morning to invite her to a party!

Maxi_77 said:
Karma said:
One from when I was at Dartmouth: Apparently in the early 80s one of the Saudi students managed to fail basic training, when he returned to his native country he was hanged for disgracing the family.

It's the suggestion that a Saudi student actually failed the course that makes me think it's false ;)

Had one of the first Saudis at BRNC when I was there, quite a reasonable guy, always claimed he was sent to the Saudi Navy as a punishment (he had been in the army) because he had upset his family.

I worked with the Saudi Air Force for about 12 years all told, and no-one ever failed a promotion course - they were rescheduled at a later date with the same questions.
As for the hanging - I would think this a myth, but thinking about, it might have a ring of truth, as the French trained their navy at some point.

In addition, and nothing to do with the above, I have seen nowt in this forum about frigates, in the 60/70s allegedly carrying nukes in a secret compartment deep within the bowels of the ship in case of war with the bloc ...... Anyone else hear this ?

slim said:
Another naval myth is that all stewards and MAs were poofters. They are not, just most of them.

Any psychologist will tell you that a man who makes jokes about gays is doing it to try to hide his own proclivities. Got your number Slim!

wardmaster said:
slim said:
Another naval myth is that all stewards and MAs were poofters. They are not, just most of them.

Any psychologist will tell you that a man who makes jokes about gays is doing it to try a to hide his own proclivities. Got your number Slim!

Wish I knew what proclivities where, think that I'll just go and mince away and find out :smile:

slim said:
wardmaster said:
slim said:

Any psychologist will tell you that a man who makes jokes about gays is doing it to try a to hide his own proclivities. Got your number Slim!

Wish I knew what proclivities where, think that I'll just go and mince away and find out :smile:
pro·cliv·i·ty /proʊˈklɪvɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[proh-kliv-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties. natural or habitual inclination or tendency; propensity; predisposition: a proclivity to meticulousness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1585–95; < L prÅclÄ«vitÄs tendency, lit., a steep descent, steepness, equiv. to prÅclÄ«v(is) sloping forward, steep (prÅ- pro-1 + clÄ«v(us) slope + -is adj. suffix) + -itÄs -ity]

—Synonyms bent, leaning, disposition.
—Antonyms aversion.

Oh sh!t, I'm a closet pooftah :sad:

andym said:
Nope. Middies are not saluted as they are not yet commissioned. You salute the commission, not the person, remember. Always a handy little factette to have to hand at Raleigh when they go apoplectic because they are not being saluted.

Shame a swift kick in the Knackers isnt PC enough bring them to heel!
I actually new to guys on HMS Cumberland in the 1950's, who did get out of the RN in ways similar to what the thread is:

1st, guy declared himself a "Buddhist" his locker was in the canteen flat, so he would always be seen with it open and looking like he was either praying or talking to "Buddha", as his doors were always open his "Buddhas" statue was right at the front of his locker, for everyone to see..
I think that all the crew saw it as well, and as word got round, it got to the Commanders attention, who had to deal with it.
It seemed to settle down a wee bit, so the guy shaved his head, and within a month, he was gone, it was well short of the month really. He was working his ticket though as he told me so. It did work though, but that was a long time ago. When he shaved his head the hsit hit the fan, as QR's and AI's say[1950 version] that your hair should be long enough to be gripped if you are in the water (probably because of oil in the water)

The other guy, tried first of all to buy himself out, but that was really frowned on at the time, I never knew any-one who actually managed to do that, however, we all had heard about the MP thingy, so we mentioned it too him.

All you had to do was put 200.00 pounds sterling, into a fighting fund for your party, or standing as an independent, you still required to front up with the 200 pounds sterling (no pound sign on this computer) to the electoral committee, who took it from you, never more to return it too you.

You then had to put in a request form for leave of absence to stand for election in "???" constituency as an prospective MP. No one is, or was, allowed to be in the RN and be a prospective Member of Parliament, it guaranteed your request form being given the OK and you were out. This was a really cheap way at this time, although, there weren't many ratings with 200.00 quid to spare.

This guy worked on it for a good year, , obviously until just before the next election, but he dressed like a gentleman with aspirations to become a prospective MP would, cavalry twill cord trousers, Tweed Jacket, Cravat, and kept talking to any-one who would listen to him about politics. Went to the Chaplin, and his D.O. about his "Calling".

Main thing was again that it guaranteed his ticket with no "Quibling" from the "Andrew"

regards pingbosun

knew a po aircrewman who wanted out of a frontline draft & wanted a training/SAR billet, so he got "religious" everyone knew it was bollox.
For some reason it ended up on the skippers requestmen, all seemed well as skipper said he could understand why he didnt want to go frontline because of his beliefs & that he was more interested in preserving life than taking it.
So skipper said then so I take it you would refuse to drop weapons of any kind, PO said yes, right said the skipper you have 24 hrs to return all your kit, discharged from RN snlr

There was a WO1 at Faslane in the 1980's who won on the pools and also owned the chip shop franchise in the mess block. He stayed in but was requested to stop parking his Rolls Royce next to the Commodores Rover 600.

subset said:
There was a WO1 at Faslane in the 1980's who won on the pools and also owned the chip shop franchise in the mess block. He stayed in but was requested to stop parking his Rolls Royce next to the Commodores Rover 600.

I can confirm this was the case. Nowadays, however, a Roller would be the cheapest car in the Northern car park, with the heaps in the zoned parking areas cause the matelots don't get zone permits only the civvies do. (Not that I'm bitter) :twisted:

Latest Threads