Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Naval Urban Myths

Seawolf said:
ET(WE)Pooley said:
dont know if its been said and cant read all 11 pages,

but wen i got fined in basic training i was told that.

all the fines you get fined in you 22/18 year carerra (cant spell)

you can claim back after your time and once you have left.

dunno if its true.

PMSL :D - If thats the case I stand to get a fortune.

I was Told it about 20 min before i got trooped, was happy at the time am gutted know.

chockhead819 said:
I'm 99% sure the bloke with the video was a killick chockhead, he got back from the falklands & his mrs had cleared everything out of his bank account as well as clearing out the married quarter, left him with **** all & several thousand pounds of debt.

The video from the Wife myth has become so widespread it even found it's way in to the film "Jarhead". Debunked heresnopes

I remember being told by my Dad that in the days of the Royal Yacht the side party would collect turds into an old paint tin that came out of the scuppers from the heads in the staterooms.

These would then be baked, varnished, put on a plinth and then marketed as a genuine Royal Turd.

jossman said:
ET(WE)Pooley said:

dunno if its true.

Load of rollocks, straight back into admiralty coffers. May I suggest you go and learn English, that way you may get your 'ook.
Yes Mr Pooley. Get your namet down to 20/20, learn to do joined up writing and to tie your own laces, and you can then take the Regulator Aptitude while you're at it.

jossman said:
Nigel Benn was definitely a pongo, infantry I think.
Sean Connery was an AB.
Russ Conway was an AB
Don Cockle heavyweight boxing champ in the 50's was a chef
David Jacobs top of the pops presenter was an ERA
Danny la Rue was in the S&S Dept when they wore fore and aft rig.
George Baker ex TV presenter who did the Royal Tournament was a Cdr.
Ludovic Kennedy TV presenter was a wartime LT. (observed the sinking of the Bismark)
George Callaghan ex Prime Minister was an Ord. Seaman during the war.

There are many more but my memory fades. :wink:

Tut, tut, Jossman. All that booze at Nutty's has really done some harm! :wink: GEORGE Callaghan & Baker... I think you mean James Callaghan and Richard Baker. James Callaghan was always immensely proud of his naval service on the Lower Deck too.

Is it true that Sean Connery's service number ended in ...007?

The question about what happens to the mony paid as fines has already been covered in this thread.
Back on topic, has anyone actually seen the fully working gallows thats supposedly located in South Yard?

higthepig said:
Mountbatten and Prince Phillip come to mind

Hig , you must remember Paddy Pantsdown on Bulwark in 1960. He was an idiot even in those days, and has gone on to further glories. I don't give his proper name in case he sues.

clanky said:
The question about what happens to the mony paid as fines has already been covered in this thread.
Back on topic, has anyone actually seen the fully working gallows thats supposedly located in South Yard?

Yes, I viewed it last year, it was built for the French PoW's in Napolionic times to allow the French Officers (who enforced disipline) the full range of punishments. It still works and sends a shiver down the spine when the trap drops.

Quite an interesting trip, it included a trip to the museum they are setting up and we had a very enthusiastic guide who had worked in the Dockyard all of his working life.

Recommended to anyone with an interest in Naval history

I've just remembered a possible urban myth, that I've heard from numerous sources over the years. Perhaps some of our older members may be able to shed some light on the subject.
Apparently a Turkish ship is visiting Pompey, and a member of the Ship's Coy commits a serious offence ashore(sometimes its a rape, sometimes a stabbing). The Skipper of the Turkish ship goes out to international waters, hangs the culprit, then returns alongside to complete the visit. I've heard thi one a sufficient number of times to suspect that it's got an element of truth. Any comments?

PartTimer said:
wysiwyg said:
FlagWagger said:
onions said:
Isn't one of the weather forecasters on Sky an ex Rn Officer?

I don't know about Sky, but one of the weather guessers in Guz is RNR

One of the BBC Kent weather girls is RNR and somewhat gorgeous as well!!!

This young lady I take it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/articles/2005/11/15/natalie_booker_odd_job_feature.shtml

Ding Dong.
So much better than the ex matelot who reads the Pompey weather

Dorcas

clanky said:
I've just remembered a possible urban myth, that I've heard from numerous sources over the years. Perhaps some of our older members may be able to shed some light on the subject.
Apparently a Turkish ship is visiting Pompey, and a member of the Ship's Coy commits a serious offence ashore(sometimes its a rape, sometimes a stabbing). The Skipper of the Turkish ship goes out to international waters, hangs the culprit, then returns alongside to complete the visit. I've heard thi one a sufficient number of times to suspect that it's got an element of truth. Any comments?

I heard it was the Hermes when we handed her over to Pakistan?? and it was rape :???:

ET(WE)Pooley said:
Seawolf said:
ET(WE)Pooley said:

dunno if its true.

PMSL :D - If thats the case I stand to get a fortune.

I was Told it about 20 min before i got trooped, was happy at the time am gutted know.

If the RN did this don't you think Civvy Street would demand the same: lawbreakers who get fined able to claim back the money (with interest perhaps) upon retirement at 60... Some punishment that would be! (Rewarding the wrongdoers!) dream on Pooley! :grin: :lol:

PS: It could have been worse. You could have been made to run up and down a steep hill for an hour on a hot, humid day in full kit without any rest breaks!

Always_a_Civvy said:
PS: It could have been worse. You could have been made to run up and down a steep hill for an hour on a hot, humid day in full kit without any rest breaks!

So when did you do that then shipmate :wink:

Latest Threads