Naval Uniform - What nationality are these men?

Discussion in 'History' started by jamoncho, May 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Can anyone tell me what nationality are those sailors or where this picture might have been taken? I found this picture at my grandmother's house after she passed away. I'm trying to trace some family history. Other than British my nan had family members that where both Spanish and German.
    Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jai

[​IMG]

2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Looks very much like RN to me. Three badges showing on left arm. The way that the caps are worn, typical 'Jack'.

3. Agree looks similar to to some of these 1907 on.royal navy uniform 1907 - Google Search

4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm no expert on this type of thing, but I'd agree with Granny and Topstop too. The lack of pom-poms and ribbons on the cap (very common with European navies) suggests RN to me.

5. wal

wal Badgeman

The wedding dresses are circa 1900s, England

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Looks very like Jack to me too, before he gets stuck into the beer at the reception. With the cloche hats I would date this 1920s.

7. If I remember rightly, German caps had a badge at the centre, so I think that can be ruled out. I would go with British as well.

Also, I've found an 1880-ish illustration of German sailors off-duty in a book of mine. They all appear to have their caps on straight, not like here. It's slightly before the era of this picture, but I suspect it wouldn't have changed radically.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

German Navy uniform up to 1918

9. I think we can rule out Spanish Navy

[​IMG]

10. Cor look ay that one on the left with all the flowers you can see her ankles!! Bet she's a goer!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

One interesting thing is that the matelots are in whites (except for one in blues in the back row 2nd right). So this can't be a wedding in UK. However the civilians are all in normal rig and the little boy in the front is wearing a Christopher Robin type top coat. So it's not all that warm. Malta? This is no spur of the moment thing, family has clearly been rounded up from all over.

12. The houses in the background look like Brit 2up 2down, may be before white tapes?

13. A triple wedding, that was some run ashore wasn't it? I wonder which one dropped first.

14. I wonder which one of the matelot's got his leg over with her, I reckon the badgeman on the right.

15. I think Jack used to wear "summer whites" as they were known back then.
    img068.jpg

16. in addition, the Jack at the far right, back row, appeaers to have three blue GCBs, as does the one in the centre. Three of them also have a tiddly bow over the left eye - gotta agree they look like old time Jacks to me too. :)

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ooh heck.

Guess I'd better take that pom-pom off my cap, then. :toothy3:

18. The bloke back left looks to have his hand down that young ladys top having a sly squeeze

19. Could it be the case that Jack was wearing his tropical kit as it was a "white" wedding.Going by the civvy fashions on show I would date the photo as late 30s or just after WW2.

20. The one 3rd from the right has had a spray tan by the look of it so they could be WAFU's

• Like Like x 1