Naval Uniform - What nationality are these men?

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what nationality are those sailors or where this picture might have been taken? I found this picture at my grandmother's house after she passed away. I'm trying to trace some family history. Other than British my nan had family members that where both Spanish and German.
Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jai

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'm no expert on this type of thing, but I'd agree with Granny and Topstop too. The lack of pom-poms and ribbons on the cap (very common with European navies) suggests RN to me.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Looks very like Jack to me too, before he gets stuck into the beer at the reception. With the cloche hats I would date this 1920s.

admiralscruff

Lantern Swinger
If I remember rightly, German caps had a badge at the centre, so I think that can be ruled out. I would go with British as well.

Also, I've found an 1880-ish illustration of German sailors off-duty in a book of mine. They all appear to have their caps on straight, not like here. It's slightly before the era of this picture, but I suspect it wouldn't have changed radically.

Last edited:
If I remember rightly, German caps had a badge at the centre, so I think that can be ruled out. I would go with British as well.

Also, I've found an 1880-ish illustration of German sailors off-duty in a book of mine. They all appear to have their caps on straight, not like here. It's slightly before the era of this picture, but I suspect it wouldn't have changed radically.

German Navy uniform up to 1918

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what nationality are those sailors or where this picture might have been taken? I found this picture at my grandmother's house after she passed away. I'm trying to trace some family history. Other than British my nan had family members that where both Spanish and German.
Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jai

Cor look ay that one on the left with all the flowers you can see her ankles!! Bet she's a goer!

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
One interesting thing is that the matelots are in whites (except for one in blues in the back row 2nd right). So this can't be a wedding in UK. However the civilians are all in normal rig and the little boy in the front is wearing a Christopher Robin type top coat. So it's not all that warm. Malta? This is no spur of the moment thing, family has clearly been rounded up from all over.

One interesting thing is that the matelots are in whites (except for one in blues in the back row 2nd right). So this can't be a wedding in UK. However the civilians are all in normal rig and the little boy in the front is wearing a Christopher Robin type top coat. So it's not all that warm. Malta? This is no spur of the moment thing, family has clearly been rounded up from all over.

The houses in the background look like Brit 2up 2down, may be before white tapes?

in addition, the Jack at the far right, back row, appeaers to have three blue GCBs, as does the one in the centre. Three of them also have a tiddly bow over the left eye - gotta agree they look like old time Jacks to me too. :)

Could it be the case that Jack was wearing his tropical kit as it was a "white" wedding.Going by the civvy fashions on show I would date the photo as late 30s or just after WW2.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N The Quarterdeck 8
Tas-ape The Gash Barge 8
PartTimePongo History 47