Naval Strike Wing

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by chockhead819, Aug 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Exactly how many harriers does this consist of? 4/5 like on warship?

when will they ever learn from history about not having a fully fledged fighter squadron onboard?
  2. Or even Bombers and all the other types that they used to carry, suppose it`s because we don`t have them anymore, or The Carriers for them, simple really.
  3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Naval Strike Wing is a bit like a squadron so it has the same number of aircraft as a crab harrier squadron.....12-14 give or take. But it isn't actually a Squadron because 801 haven't reformed hence the term wing as it is made up of personnel from 800 and 801 but it's not really a wing either which is confusing. It has no fighter aircraft because we don't have fighter aircraft anymore just mud movers but they are doing a good job in Afghanistan.

Hope that clears it up :farao:
  4. Any news about 801 standing on it s own 2 feet as yet? I've heard a buzz that it may be soon.
  5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Well it never stood on it's own two feet in my 25 years (3 of them on 801) so I wouldn't get your hopes up, it seems to be doing well on the back of 800 as usual though. :thumright:
  6. 801 was ok when i was on it in 85 but thats coz i was a chockhead!
  7. As it was as well 65/66 Buccaneers 801 squadron before" WINGS" ? HMS Victorious :thumright: coz i was a Pinkey