Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval Related Obituaries


War Hero
I'm sad to advise the passing of Lt Cdr Julian (Jules) Rogers at the weekend. Julian was an outstanding musician who regularly played with the Neptune Volunteer Band and also a Scout Leader for many years in Helensburgh.
Julian's naval career began in 1986 and included appointments at Dolphin, Valiant, Opossum, Sceptre, CSST, Vengance, Spartan, FOST Faslane, HMNB Clyde, Bahrain and COMFASFLOT.
RIP Julian, Thoughts are with your family x
By Telegraph Obituaries 12 October 2020 • 3:29pm

Vice-Admiral Sir Geoffrey Dalton, born April 14 1931, died September 26 2020
Led daring rescue when a Greek ship sank in a storm, Later he became the first admiral to be president of the Royal British Legion since Lord Jellicoe in the 1920s
Vice-Admiral Sir Geoffrey Dalton, who has died aged 89, led a dramatic international rescue at sea, and as president of the Royal British Legion oversaw the reintroduction of the nationwide two-minute silence.

In the early hours of February 15 1979 off Cape St Vincent, on the south-west tip of Portugal, Dalton was in command of the frigate Jupiter on passage from Devonport to Gibraltar through heavy weather when he heard a distress call from the Greek cargo ship Iris.

Several days of gale-force winds from the south-west had veered to the north-west, raising a heavy, jumbled sea: Iris was shedding her cargo as she broke up, and was sinking. She could transmit Mayday calls, but was unable to receive radio messages and was unsure of her position.

In the dark and confusion, Dalton took charge of several British, French, German, Liberian and Russian merchant ships who made contradictory reports, and Jupiter reversed course several times, rolling violently.

At dawn Dalton heard from the Russian Rusa that she had sighted Iris, whose weather deck was almost submerged, but it was too rough to launch lifeboats, and a few minutes later he heard that Iris was on her beam ends and her crew in the water.

Line squalls with heavy rain and gusts of wind up to 45 knots blew through, but the gale moderated to Force 8 as scrambling nets, throwing lines and swimmers were prepared. Dalton manoeuvred Jupiter into a patch of flotsam, but could not hold her head to sea (with her bows into her wind) because as she slowed the bows paid off from the wind and she rolled through 90 degrees.

Nevertheless, two survivors were rescued when they climbed a scrambling net unaided, but as others held on grimly, they were submerged with each roll. One man was swept under Jupiter and rescued on the other side, while Jupiter’s sailors climbed down the nets to heave others upwards.

Meanwhile, a relay of swimmers, who had to wait until there was clear space between floating wreckage, jumped into the water with strops (short pieces of rope) to rescue men too weak to swim to the ship’s side. For three hours Dalton manoeuvred his ship in conditions which demanded constant and highly professional seamanship to ensure the safety of his own people in the water and on deck, and to avoid endangering the survivors.

By 11:45 only one man was unaccounted for, the chief engineer of Iris who had been seen going below before she capsized. Jupiter had recovered 10 survivors and seven dead; six more were in the German Kehdingerland and four in Rusa, ships who had done well, reported Dalton, despite their lack of manoeuvrability.

In the afternoon the weather moderated, and Dalton was able to launch his helicopter to collect a doctor and urgently needed drugs from the newly arrived destroyer Hampshire. Making a best speed of 22 knots, Jupiter berthed in Gibraltar at 04:00 on February 16.

On Dalton’s recommendation, swimmer-of-the-watch Able Seaman Terry Loftus, who had made seven jumps into the perilous seas, was awarded the George Medal, three other Jupiters were awarded the Queen’s Gallantry Medal, and two more the Queen’s Commendation for Brave Conduct for their skill, selfless dedication, courage and endurance in the greatest traditions of the service.

Dalton himself was awarded a commander-in-chief’s commendation.

Geoffrey Thomas James Oliver Dalton was born on April 14 1931 in Kuala Lumpur, where his father was a rubber planter in Selangor. He was educated at Wick and Parkfield prep, and Reigate Grammar School, and joined the Navy as a special-entry engineer cadet in 1949. Having passed out top of his entry he was allowed to transfer to the seaman branch.

After the training cruiser Devonshire, he served as a midshipman in the carrier Illustrious in 1950. Highlights of Dalton’s early career included: the search by the frigate Loch Alvie for the missing submarine Affray which had been run down in the Channel in 1951; operations off Korea at the end of the war there; and patrols, in the destroyer Cockade, in the Formosa Straits to prevent Chinese Nationalist gunboats from interfering with merchant ships trading into the Chinese mainland; as a lieutenant in command of the minesweeper Maryton patrolling off Cyprus to prevent gun-running by EOKA terrorists; and as first lieutenant of the frigate Murray, on fishery protection off Iceland, where he made his initial acquaintance with bad weather.

As a lieutenant-commander and first lieutenant of the frigate Dido, Dalton’s operational experience was expanded during the opening stages of Konfrontasi, the irregular war with Indonesia, and attempts by guerrillas to cross the Malacca Strait.

Dalton enjoyed three frigate commands: Relentless in 1966-67, when he enforced the blockade of Beria, the naval operation to enforce an oil embargo on Ian Smith’s Southern Rhodesia after UDI; Nubian in the Persian Gulf in 1969-71; and Jupiter in 1977-79. When Jupiter was delayed in refit in Devonport and Dalton exerted himself to get her out of the dockyard’s hands, a wag on-board spread the rumour that his initials (GTJO) stood for “Get The Jupiter Out!”

Dalton was a student on the staff course at Greenwich in 1962, and at the Royal College of Defence Studies in 1975. Two prominent and unusual shore appointments were his too: commanding officer of the School of Physical Training and Sport, and Captain, Royal Naval Presentation Team, when he spoke to invited audiences in towns and cities, universities and industry about the importance of defence and the role of the Royal Navy.

However, it was his appointment as assistant director of naval plans, working on the future size and shape of the fleet, which prepared him for becoming Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Policy) in 1981. This appointment was remarkable too: he spent his early months implementing the planned reductions to the Navy mandated by the Nott Defence Review, and the later months reinstating many of those cuts after the “lessons learned” from the Falklands War.

His last appointment was as Deputy Supreme Allied Commander, Atlantic, in Norfolk, Virginia, in 1984-87; he was knighted KCB in 1986.

On leaving the Navy, Dalton decided that he had more to offer in the world of charities than business, and he succeeded Brian Rix as secretary-general of Mencap. Other charities in which he was active included the Regular Forces Employment Bureau, the Ex-Service Fellowship, and Combat Stress.

In 1993 he became the first admiral to be president of the Royal British Legion since Lord Jellicoe in the 1920s: he recalled his four years in office, covering the 50th anniversary of D-Day and the reintroduction of the two minutes’ silence on Armistice Day, as “truly inspiring”.

Many generations of Dalton’s family had been members of the Drapers’ Company, one of the 12 great livery companies in the city of London, including two former masters, and Dalton became master in 1996. A final rare appointment became his when he was made honorary colonel of the 71st (Yeomanry) Signals Regiment.

Despite his wide operational experience and senior rank, Dalton remained diffident and unflamboyant, therefore it was a surprise when in his 80s he took to wearing a full suit of black leathers and arriving at the Rowlands Castle Tennis club (where he was president) astride a 1,000cc Triumph motorcycle.

He married, in 1957, Jane Baynes, a WRNS officer who he met when he was flag-lieutenant to the Commander-in-Chief Nore. She survives him with their four sons.


War Hero
Courtesy of the DT

Vice-Admiral Sir John Webster, frigate captain, naval tactician and artist – obituary​

Helped the Navy respond to the Argentine invasion of the Falklands and his landscape and marine paintings were exhibited by London galleries

ByTelegraph Obituaries21 October 2020 • 12:00pm

Vice-Admiral John Webster

Vice-Admiral John Webster
Vice-Admiral Sir John Webster, who has died aged 87, was a successful frigate captain and naval tactician who combined his naval career with many fine landscape and marine paintings.
He joined the Royal Navy in 1951, and, after specialising in the art of navigation, was lent to the Royal Australian Navy for two years. On return to Britain he served in the frigate Lowestoft, on the staff at Dartmouth, in the frigate Dido, and on the staff of the Navy’s Tactical School at Woolwich, before commanding the frigate Argonaut.
After an outstanding performance as staff officer warfare in the MoD, Webster was promoted early to captain in 1973 and studied at the Canadian National Defence College before becoming Royal Navy Liaison Officer in Ottawa. Next, from 1977 to 1980 he commanded both the frigate Cleopatra and 4th Frigate Squadron, before appointment as the Director of Naval Warfare in the MoD

Oil painting by Webster of The Silver Jubilee Fleet Review, 1977: The QE2 passing through the fleet, with the frigate Cleopatra in the foreground

Oil painting by Webster of The Silver Jubilee Fleet Review, 1977: The QE2 passing through the fleet, with the frigate Cleopatra in the foreground
It was the time of the Nott defence review, with its swingeing cuts to the Navy. Webster did not allow these to distract him from his task of delivering weapons and tactical capability to the fleet, despite reduced resources, and contributed significantly to the Navy’s ability to respond to the Argentine invasion of the Falklands in 1982.
Promoted to rear-admiral, as Flag Officer Sea Training he dealt equably with the heavy demand on himself and his staff to turn the “lessons-learnt” from the Falklands War into training and tactical doctrine, and showed himself a good, fair judge of the character of the captains and officers and their ships.
As chief of staff to the Commander-in-Chief Fleet in 1984-85, his clear-sighted vision and grasp of management enabled his chief, Admiral Sir William Staveley, to concentrate on his duties as a major Nato commander.
Webster was promoted again while at Northwood and knighted KCB in 1986. He became Flag Officer, Plymouth, where he handled the civilian and uniformed naval management and his representational duties with aplomb.
John Morrison Webster was born in Ceylon on November 3 1932, the son of an architect, and educated at Pangbourne College.

Though he had no formal art training, Webster painted and drew throughout his life. His work was first appreciated when, while serving as midshipman in the battleship Vanguard, his illustrations in the midshipman’s journal which every young officer used to be required to keep, were seen by the future Vice-Admiral Sir “Roddy” Macdonald, also an accomplished artist. Macdonald encouraged Webster, and in 1953 two of his paintings were accepted by the Royal Society of Marine Artists for exhibition. Nearly 50 years later, in 2001, he was made a full member of the society.
Meanwhile, while serving in Canada in 1976 Webster held a one-man exhibition at the Provincial Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. His work was inspired by his travels and he worked outdoors whenever possible, only taking larger scale works back to his studio.

After leaving the Navy, he became a full-time painter, and, over the next quarter of a century, held 13 one-man exhibitions in London as well as in Winchester and Jersey. He said that he painted subjects which had enriched his life and that his motivation came from the joy of painting. His work included landscapes from Czechoslovakia, France, Morocco, Spain, Sri Lanka and Venice as well as from across Britain.
Geoff Hunt, president of the RSMA said of Webster, “His paintings all look deceptively simple, fresh and uncontrived, but great skill and long experience lie behind these delightful effects.”Webster was a life member of the Armed Forces Art Society (chairman, 1990-96) and on the board of the Royal Society of British Artists (2002-08). He was particularly pleased to have exhibited with the New English Art Club, founded by a group of artists dissatisfied with the Royal Academy.

In retirement Webster was a governor of Canford School and of Pangbourne College (chairman from 1992). He was president of the Royal Naval Benevolent Trust (1991-98), and a Younger Brother of Trinity House from 1970.
Serious-minded and well-read, Webster had a commanding presence but he remained a private person.
In 1962 he married “Val” Villiers, daughter of Vice-Admiral Sir Michael Villiers, and later dedicated his 1999 exhibition at Tryon & Swann gallery in St James’s to “Val, long-suffering, encouraging and supportive as always”. She and a son predeceased him, and he is survived by two daughters.
Vice-Admiral Sir John Webster, born November 3 1932, died October 5 2020


He was FOST when we went through shakedown before our work-up in 1984, and to be honest I don't know about his own staff but the officers on our ship were shit-scared of him, or rather his reputation, which was pretty fearsome. From memory he only came onboard once, joining us at sea by helo (flown by HRH) for a serial and then stood at the back of the bridge (putting the entire bridge-team, except our skipper Toby Frere, on our nerve-ends) when we entered harbour as OTC in company with 2 other ships later that evening. I don't think we saw him again after that, which we took as a good sign.
Interesting that on the HMS Argonaut F56 page on Wikipedia, which lists all the COs, he's the only one that's missing (1971-1973). Strange....
By Telegraph Obituaries 28 October 2020 • 4:49pm

Vice-Admiral Sir James Jungius, who has died aged 96, took part in a daring raid behind enemy lines and later became Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic.

Vice-Admiral Sir James Jungius, who took part in an audacious raid on the Adriatic coast. He led a landing craft in Operation Devon, during which the German commander was captured in his pyjamas and a valuable harbour was won. Shortly before midnight on October 2 1943, east of Termoli on Italy’s Adriatic coast, the 20-year-old Jungius was in command of one of several Landing Craft (Assault), or LCAs, of the 59th Flotilla, under tow of a larger Landing Craft (Infantry), or LCI, when the towing ship grounded on an uncharted sandbank. Just then, a squall with strong winds and driving rain blotted out visibility.

Casting off the LCAs so as not to foul the towing hawsers, the LCI ran on blind towards the intended release point, the night so dark that no land could be seen and the accompanying LCAs only dimly glimpsed. At the release point Jungius and six other LCAs each embarked 30 men of 3 Commando, before running in the last 1¾ miles to the beaches. Jungius’s LCA hit the beach at 0214, one minute before H-hour, and his passengers stepped ashore dry-shod.

Operation Devon, the code word given to the amphibious landing by British commandos at Termoli, 30 miles behind the German lines, was an outstanding success. The German defences were pointed landwards and southwards, and the commandos reached the centre of the town before the Germans were alerted, capturing their commander in his pyjamas.

German vehicles and motorcyclists were still driving unknowingly into commando ambushes at midday. Over the next two days, while the 16th Panzer Division launched vicious counter-attacks, the LCAs ferried reinforcements and stores ashore and took off prisoners of war. Despite repeated shelling and air attacks, the LCAs’ shallow draft saved them from all but direct hits by bombs.

By the time the advancing British Eighth Army arrived on October 6, the commandos had won a valuable harbour in what the Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean called an outstanding operation: it turned the hinge-pin of the enemy line, was boldly conceived and executed, and was an excellent example of the effective deployment of sea forces.

The report of proceedings referred to the splendid work of the highest order, and the cheerfulness and devotion to duty of the LCA crews; Jungius was Mentioned in Despatches.

James George Jungius was born at Barnes in London on November 15 1923. He was educated at Dulwich Prep and learned to love the sea on holidays at Polperro and from reading The Wonder Book of the Navy.

He entered the Navy in 1937 and benefited from the Admiralty’s belief in its own immortality: despite the outbreak of war, training for young career officers continued at a leisurely pace, and Jungius was given appointments at sea as a midshipman in the battleship Rodney, the cruiser London, and the destroyer Arrow. He saw action on Arctic convoys, spent Christmas under air attack in Malta, and hunted German surface raiders and blockade-runners in the Atlantic.

On June 21 1941 Jungius was about to be ducked by King Neptune’s bears in the traditional crossing-the-line ceremony when London found the German supply ship Babitonga, who scuttled herself; her crew were surprised to be picked up by men in fancy dress – grass skirts and painted faces.

Jungius returned to Britain for his sub-lieutenant’s course before being appointed to the 59th Flotilla LCA, and he completed his war in the destroyer Lauderdale. In 1945 Jungius became second-in-command of the captured German Elbing-class destroyer T28, with a mixed crew of British officers and German PoWs conducting trials in the Solent. He carried out his duties efficiently in the somewhat trying and unusual circumstances, and showed tact in dealing with the German personnel.

Jungius specialised in navigation, and in 1946 became navigator of the brand-new sloop Sparrow on a two-year deployment based on Bermuda. After carnival in Trinidad, a 900-mile passage up the Amazon to Manaus, and the relief of Castries, St Lucia, after a disastrous fire, Sparrow visited Georgetown in British Guiana. There he met the 20-year old Rosemary “Bullet” Matthey, and on the sixth day of the visit he proposed and she accepted.

Over the next few years, Jungius’s reports reflected that he was an outstandingly good navigator and a first-class ship handler. An unusual name and a court-martial are regarded as ways of getting ahead in the Navy, and Jungius was duly court-martialled in 1953 for smuggling cigarettes: the conviction was quashed (intent had not been proved), and, after commanding the anti-submarine frigate Wizard during the Suez Crisis, he was promoted early to captain in 1963.

After two years in command of the frigate Lynx, the last ship on the old South Atlantic and South America station, Jungius was appointed assistant naval attaché in Washington, where he showed himself to be an outstanding officer who, with his wife, made a memorable contribution to the special relationship between the US Navy and the Royal Navy.

1603979854524.pngHaving commanded an LCA 30 years before, there was satisfaction that in 1971 he was appointed to the commando-carrier Albion, which carried her own landing craft and commando helicopters. Jungius was remembered as a born leader of a happy ship whose people liked and respected him, while Albion embarked a succession of air squadrons and commando units for exercises from the Arctic to the Mediterranean and the Far East.

From 1972 to 1974 as a rear-admiral, Jungius was Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff (Operational Requirements), and on promotion to vice-admiral he was appointed Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic (1975-77) based in Norfolk, Virginia. Jungius struck up a good working relationship with his American boss, Admiral Isaac C Kidd Jr, believing strongly that the special relationship was important to both countries.

Jungius was knighted in 1977 and served as the Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic’s Representative in Europe from 1978 to 1980.

In retirement, he bought a smallholding in Cornwall where he raised beef for several years, and was deputy lieutenant of Cornwall.

Jungius was dry, but was known for the wonderful smile which lit up his face, even after he had delivered a well-deserved reprimand to a junior officer. He was genuinely interested in others, regardless of their station in life, whether stoker or dignitary, grandchild or farming friend. Everyone enjoyed his company, and he wore his success in life lightly.

He married Rosemary Matthey in 1949; she died in 2005. He is survived by two sons; another son predeceased him.

Vice-Admiral Sir James Jungius, born November 15 1923, died October 14 2020

RIP, Sir,


  • 1603979787997.png
    570.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1603979854869.png
    448.4 KB · Views: 0


War Hero
Telegraph Obits - met him a couple of times seemed a good egg

Vice-Admiral Peter Dunt, who served under Sandy Woodward during the Falklands War – obituary​

He provided crucial logistical service in the South Atlantic before taking responsibility for MoD properties around the world

ByTelegraph Obituaries5 November 2020 • 5:27pm

Vice-Admiral Peter Dunt

Vice-Admiral Peter Dunt
Vice-Admiral Peter Dunt, who has died aged 73, was secretary to Admiral “Sandy” Woodward during the Falklands War.
In 1982, Dunt was a commander and admiral’s secretary to then Rear-Admiral Sandy Woodward, embarked in the guided missile destroyer Antrim, from where the admiral was conducting the fleet’s annual spring exercises off Gibraltar.
All changed overnight when Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands. Dunt flew home to London for briefings at fleet headquarters in Northwood, then on to Ascension Island, where he re-joined Woodward.
When Woodward and his staff transferred to the carrier Hermes, Dunt was additionally designated Task Group Logistics Officer. Despite limited communications with Britain some 8,000 miles away, he successfully prioritised the supply of everything from food to missiles.
Dunt, left, with his brother John

Dunt, left, with his brother John
He was also responsible for the embarked members of the Press, not all of whom were easy to handle as they clamoured to release copy, all of which had to be monitored.
After the conflict, back in Portsmouth, Dunt tackled a mountain of reports and letters to be written as well as an overflowing diary, all of which he managed with equanimity. Woodward concluded his personal report on Dunt by describing him as “an invaluable alter ego, organiser and administrative right-hand man, ashore and afloat, under the most testing conditions. Dunt has passed a major trial with flying colours.”
Peter Arthur Dunt was born in Liverpool on June 23 1947, but when he was four his parents moved to Kenya where his father was ICI’s representative in Mombasa. He was educated at Kenton College and the Duke of York School, Nairobi, and at Merchant Taylors’, Crosby. Dunt excelled at sports, often opening the batting with his brother for Kenya Combined Schools, and played rugby for the first XV.
Back row, second left, with the Navy cricket team in 1971

Back row, second left, with the Navy cricket team in 1971
He entered the Navy in 1965 and spent his midshipman’s year in the frigate Arethusa, before specialising as a supply officer.
After the Falklands War, Dunt, now secretary to the newly promoted Rear-Admiral Jeremy Black, joined the carrier Invincible for a deployment to the Far East and Australasia. His older brother John was the weapons engineer commander in Invincible, which caused some confusion among the ship’s company.
Later, his career was centred in the Ministry of Defence, and when promoted to captain in 1987, he was one of the youngest supply officers to achieve this substantive rank in peacetime. In 1992-94 he commanded the Navy’s new entry training establishment, HMS Raleigh, at Torpoint in Cornwall.
The Dunt brothers off Mombasa

The Dunt brothers off Mombasa
Promoted to rear-admiral in 1997, as chief of staff to the Second Sea Lord he sometimes attended Navy board meetings where his brother was a full member, one of the few times that two brothers have ever attended the board.
In 2000 he became Chief Naval Supply and Secretariat Officer, and at that time he changed the department’s name to the Logistics Branch. In 2002, following an open competition, he was appointed Chief Executive, Defence Estates, and was promoted to vice-admiral, becoming responsible for the defence estate around the world, an £18 billion portfolio; in the next five years one of his largest deals was to sell Chelsea Barracks for £900 million.
After leaving the Navy Dunt embraced a wide range of jobs, including chairman of the Royal Surrey County Hospital, 2010-15, when he improved the trust’s finances, and by regularly “walking the decks” improved the staff’s moral.
With Lesley on their wedding day: the cake was made at the Supply School, where they met

With Lesley on their wedding day: the cake was made at the Supply School, where they met
He was appointed CB in 2002, and Deputy Lieutenant of Surrey in 2011.
Cricket was his main sport: he and his brother were capped for the Navy at Lord’s in 1971, and in 1997 he captained his local Blackheath XI to the semi-finals of the national village knock-out competition. Later he turned to gardening, golf and grandchildren.
In 1974 Peter Dunt married Lesley Gilchrist, whom he met when she was a third officer, WRNS, and who survives him with their two daughters.
Vice-Admiral Peter Dunt, born June 23 1947, died October 13 2020


War Hero
Telegraph Obits - another Admiral crosses the bar

Rear-Admiral Richard Burn, brave Sea Harrier test pilot – obituary​

As a passenger in a twin-seat Harrier, he seized control of the aircraft from his rear seat when the pilot froze and could not fly the plane

ByTelegraph Obituaries10 November 2020 • 8:50pm

Richard Burn during his three years on exchange with the US Navy at Patuxent River, Maryland

Burn during his three years on exchange with the US Navy at Patuxent River, Maryland
Rear-Admiral Richard Burn,who has died aged 82, was a talented and courageous test pilot who later raised millions of pounds for the Poppy Appeal.
On the night of October 11 1979, Burn was the passenger in a twin-seat Sea Harrier as the first night-flying trials of the “jump-jet” were about to begin. Expert opinion was that the aircraft was too much of a handful for the average front-line pilot, who would never be capable of night-time deck operations, and the trials were expected to prove that; others warned that the trials pilots were too inexperienced.
It was a dark, clear night with a good, natural horizon as Harrier ZA250, flown by a civilian pilot from British Aerospace Hatfield, approached the deck of the carrier Hermes for what was to be his first deck landing. Suddenly, as the pilot looked from the darkness over the sea to the bright lights of Hermes’s deck, his vision failed, and he was unable to read the red lights of his instrument panel.
He froze and became incapable of controlling the aircraft in the most dangerous part of its flight path. Burn seized control of the aircraft from his rear seat and made a safe land-on.
He had not only saved the aircraft from a watery grave: more importantly, he had defied the naysayers and saved the trials programme, ensuring that the Sea Harrier came into service in time to play its decisive role in the Falklands War.

Richard Burn (r) and his observer climbing into a Sea Vixen

Burn (r) and his observer climbing into a Sea Vixen
Richard Hardy Burn was born at Amersham on May 26 1938, the son of an engineer who built bridges around the Empire. He was educated at Berkhamsted, then entered Dartmouth in 1955 and trained as an engineer at the Royal Naval Engineering College, Manadon, in Plymouth.
Before learning to fly, Burn qualified in steam engineering in the destroyer Broadsword in 1958. He qualified as an all-weather fighter pilot in 1961, flying the Sea Vixens of 890 Naval Air Squadron in the fleet carrier Ark Royal (1961-62).
On May 1 1962 Burn and his observer Lieutenant Don Ross were at 2,000  ft over Manila Bay at night when their Sea Vixen, XJ528, suffered a severe blow, or explosion, during an interception exercise. The aircraft fell out of control, but Burn and Ross ejected using their Martin Baker ejection seats and were picked up unhurt by USS Caliente.
He qualified as a maintenance test pilot in 1966, and for the next few years he undertook test flying, including three years on exchange with the US Navy at Patuxent River, Maryland, where, in 1968, at the end of a gruelling eight-month course, he was awarded the prize of outstanding student at the US Navy’s test pilot school.
From 1975 to 1978 in the MoD’s procurement executive, Burn was responsible for the Sea Harrier’s acquisition, but by 1979, at the time of the trials incident, Burn was no longer in a flying appointment, but was operations officer at the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment. He subsequently held increasingly responsible appointments in air engineering.
When he stopped flying, Burn had flown more than a hundred types of aircraft, both fixed and rotary wing, in some 2,975 hours.

Rear-Admiral Richard Burn

Rear-Admiral Richard Burn: a love of speed
In retirement he became an habitué of the Chelsea Arts Club, where he used the bridge table as a recruiting base for the Chelsea and Kensington Branch of the Royal British Legion, of which he was chair for over 20 years. In October each year he became preoccupied with the details of poppy-selling, and through his diligence and organising ability Burn made the branch the Legion’s highest earner in the annual Poppy Appeal, raising nearly £300,000 annually.
Burn gathered many awards: the Air Force Cross in 1971; a commendation from the US Navy in 1974; a fellowship of the Royal Aeronautical Society in 1984; the Médaille d’honneur of the Société d’Encouragement au Progrès in 1989; he was made CB in 1992.
Burn’s love of speed extended to motorcycles and cars, and BMW was his favourite marque: while he thought the BMW 5 series “cornered like a pudding”, he liked the 6 series, saying it was one of the last of the hand-built cars, and he rode a 900 series bike. He loved his children and stepchildren, but terrified them all with his driving lessons.
In 1966 Burn married Judith Sanderson (née Tigg), the widow of a flying colleague. She survives him, along with a son and daughter and two stepchildren.
Rear-Admiral Richard Burn, born May 26 1938, died October 4 2020
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Naval Careers Portal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
A Question for the Naval Engineers Submariners 2
P Late fathers Naval history History 7
D Naval nurse Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil Portsmouth Naval Base Christmas Card Competition Bases / Shore Est 1
M Can you please Help reading naval record please Miscellaneous 9
M Help reading naval record please Miscellaneous 18
MoD_RSS From Portsmouth to Odesa, UK and Ukraine naval cooperation on show as Ukrainian President visits HMS Prince of Wales MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
soleil "Carrier Sailors Lead Naval Involvement In VJ Day Commemorations" History 4
soleil FB: NAVYfit - Royal Naval Sports Awards 2020 - Cancellation Sports and Adventure Training 1
soleil FB: Royal Naval Benevolent Trust - Go Ahead For RNBT’s Centenary Care Home Project, Admiral Jellicoe House. Charity 2
K Looking for my deceased fathers naval records Submariners 8
soleil FB: RN: Submarine Specialist Naval Reservists Join HMS Queen Elizabeth Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
soleil FB: "Whittall Division Are Making History At Britannia Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil RN Website: "Britannia Royal Naval College Lights Up For VE Day" Bases / Shore Est 3
Juliaann99 Naval Nursing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil FB: Naval Service Family & People Support - Downloadable Colouring Sheets Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3
soleil Guardian: "Huge UK Naval Figureheads Rescued From Obscurity To Go On Display" History 14
soleil Afloat: "Large UK Naval Auxiliary Replenishment Ship Completes Special Survey In Merseyside Shipyard" RFA 3
soleil Naval Technology: "HMS Prince of Wales to begin F-35 trials in January 2021" The Fleet 1
BFRS Naval Specialist Training Instructor Opportunities The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
soleil Tw: Commander Maritime Reserves - Royal Naval Reserves & Royal Marines Reserve Survey 2020 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
F Naval nurse selection process Joining the Royal Navy 6
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose: "820 Naval Air Squadron Training In The Mist" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil TwoSix - A Fortnightly 60 Second Update From Across The Naval Service The Fleet 26
soleil The Times: "Captain Mike Booth, 70: Helicopter Pilot In The Falklands, Naval Attaché And Cabinetmaker" The Fleet Air Arm 3
O Naval Nurse specialisms Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil Shephard Media: Naval review 2019: The never-ending Year of the (Royal) Navy The Fleet 3
soleil RN Website: "World's Oldest Christmas Pud On Display In Naval Museum" History 0
BFRS Technical Training Instructor - Naval - Dhahran The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose "The Game On Every (Naval) Aviator’s Christmas List." The Fleet Air Arm 17
G Royal Naval Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
G Royal Naval Pilot Joining the Royal Navy 5
J Naval Staff Roles Joining the Royal Navy 4
sampost First Russo/Sino/SA naval exercise set for November International 8
N Joint Naval Operations The Fleet 11
R Naval Medical Appeal HELP! Joining the Royal Navy 3
U HMS Raleigh for naval reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
MoD_RSS News story: Join DASA to launch the search for the future of the Naval operating environment MoD News 0
D Naval service recruitment test Joining the Royal Navy 4
J Naval Party 8902 Falkland Islands - Hovercraft SRN6 The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS News story: UK & USA test Naval power systems MoD News 0
B Royal Navy start date Naval airman 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 2
Spiced Buoy Naval Boarding Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
SafferBlondie Naval Aircraft Handler vs. Marine Engineer vs. Medical Assistant in the RN Joining the Royal Navy 43
T naval deployment The Fleet 1
L Naval Nurse Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
R Greenwich, a home for Naval Pensioners? Current Affairs 25
MoD_RSS Press release: PM hails biggest Naval defence contract for a decade: 28 June 2018 MoD News 3
Similar threads

New Posts