Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Naval novels

Gino

Yes it was Charles Gidley Wheeler that wrote The Raging of the Sea. Excellent book. I remember reading it as Sub Lt some 20 years ago.

He was also a scriptwriter for the BBC, contributing to WARSHIP, WINGS and THE SANDBAGGERS amongst others.

I haven't read Jannaway's Mutiny yet. Searching on the web just now revealed that Vice Admiral Louis le Bailly didn't have much time for it when reviewing for The Naval Review. I must find a copy!

All the books by Patrick Robinson are brilliant, and are all set around about now, lots of submarines and raghead terrorists , and a charactor called Arnald Morgan is excellant ,
must agree though that Send Down a Dove was a great book , i read it years ago.

Oh lord above ,
Send down a dove ,
With wing's as sharp as razor's ,
To cut the throat's of them there bloke's ,
That sell bad beer to sailor's .

I think that was the poem on the inside cover of the above book.

micmic if you'd checked the top of the page , you,d have found that the topic was all about Naval Novels , methink's your an ex RM bandsman who probably used to play the triangle or the symbles .

I used to like Douglas Reeman books, until I realised they almost always have the same plot.

Nice hero but has a skeleton in the closet.
1st officer is a complete w*nker.
Hero meets up with a nice nurse/Jenny sub plotter.
Hero overcomes skeleton to save the day.
Always starts off on a foggy dock in scotland.

Ive read about 10-12 Reeman books. I still enjoyed them though.

dondon said:
All the books by Patrick Robinson are brilliant, and are all set around about now, lots of submarines and raghead terrorists , and a charactor called Arnald Morgan is excellant ,
must agree though that Send Down a Dove was a great book , i read it years ago.

Oh lord above ,
Send down a dove ,
With wing's as sharp as razor's ,
To cut the throat's of them there bloke's ,
That sell bad beer to sailor's .

I think that was the poem on the inside cover of the above book.

Have seen this poem before - tattoed on a PO Tass Ape's shoulder.

Nice to know where it came from - will have to read the book now

I enjoyed the three books by A E Langsford, HMS Crusader, HMS Marathon & HMS Inflexible. In a nutshell, the key character is Capt Thurston VC who is CO of the three named ships; books 1 and 3 are carriers while Marathon is the cruiser on which he wins his VC. The series covers a number of different WW2 theatres including Murmansk run, Med, Far East and also explores some of the difficulties that can be faced when dealing with WAFUs.

blog-image-large-juan-spill.jpg

Latest Threads