Naval medics arrive home from Afghanistan

From Truth Central, this morning;

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...ions/NavalMedicsArriveHomeFromAfghanistan.htm

Men and women who made up the largest deployment of the Royal Naval Medical Services since the Falklands War returned to the UK this week from Afghanistan.

Alongside their medical colleagues from the Army and RAF, the Naval medics landed at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire on Tuesday 21 April 2009.

Over 20 per cent of all medics in the Royal Navy deployed to Afghanistan in support of Op HERRICK over the last six months where they provided the most advanced medical care to British Service personnel injured on operations.

The homecoming of 117 troops from Hospital Squadron was led by Lieutenant Commander Alison Hofman, who ran the British military hospital at Camp Bastion.

Lt Cdr Hofman referred to her hospital as a 'trauma centre of excellence' dedicated to providing the very best level of care to British Service personnel injured in action.

Commanding Officer of the Joint Force Medical Group (JFMG), Surgeon Commander Roger Thomson, said:

"My people performed phenomenally. For many of them it was their first experience of front line service and they can return to their ships and units extremely proud of a job well done.

"I'm delighted to welcome back the men and women of the Hospital Squadron who performed sterling work running what I consider to have been one of the most advanced trauma hospitals in the world."

Patients at the Camp Bastion hospital included not only Service personnel, but also injured civilians and enemy forces, all of whom were provided with advanced care:

"When casualties arrived, they had consultants of every speciality waiting in the Emergency Department [ED]," said Lt Cdr Hofman. "So, we had consultant-led care starting on the front line, right through the ED to the wards."

As part of the JFMG, Surg Cdr Thomson's aim was for his team to provide the very best care under all circumstances from the point of injury or illness, through the medical channels, and on to aeromedical evacuation, where necessary, transferring injured personnel from the front line to Selly Oak Hospital in less then 24 hours.

He said:

"Using the very latest medical techniques, technology and doctrine, often right on the front line, there was never any effort spared in providing care for our men and women on the ground.

"Such was its groundbreaking nature that we have seen injured personnel returning to the UK having received injuries from which, in a previous era, they would not have survived."

In total, 547 medics deployed to Afghanistan with 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines; two thirds of whom were from the Naval Service.
A bit of recognition, for once.

That's all well and good but what are the chances of there being anything about that story in the national press, or for the RN to receive any wider recognition for it's efforts out on the ground in Afghanistan? Joe Public seem to think that Afghan is far too dusty for The Navy to be involved, and the PR machine at Navy HQ doesn't seem interested in changing that opinion from what I can gather.

Well done to all who were serving in the area and no doubt they saved many lives.

However,

Might be able to get an appointment at the sickbay, if they fill all the gaps with those returning.

If you look closer the one one the left is a corporal as is the one background middle. The other is a PO. Well done to all out there.

:p

The PO Nurse RN needs to lay off the pies, she can only just do up the flies of her keks. Bet she's got a lovely bed side manner though. :D

Good effort the scablifters. :wink:

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Great stuff guys, really great stuff. MOD posts a good news story about a bunch of female medics who have done the job for real, and all some of the [email protected] here can do is post lewd comments. Have none of you idiots realised that the press do actually look on sites like this for easy stories - and that you've just given them an easy story - for instance

"Sexist sailors attack returning female soldiers as being ugly and overweight" - cue instant PR nightmare for MOD, and another story that gets dug up. This isn't the fecking mess square - this is an internet site where anyone can read what you say and use it against you.

I know its banter, you know its banter - we all know its banter apart from the tabloid journalist with some column inches to fill by tomorrow morning. If you don't believe me then check out ARRSE or PPRUNE where non stories regularly get lifted to fill space in a paper.

Think guys - this is the reputation of the RN at potential risk here.

Purple_twiglet said:
Great stuff guys, really great stuff. MOD posts a good news story about a bunch of female medics who have done the job for real, and all some of the [email protected] here can do is post lewd comments. Have none of you idiots realised that the press do actually look on sites like this for easy stories - and that you've just given them an easy story - for instance

"Sexist sailors attack returning female soldiers as being ugly and overweight" - cue instant PR nightmare for MOD, and another story that gets dug up. This isn't the fecking mess square - this is an internet site where anyone can read what you say and use it against you.

I know its banter, you know its banter - we all know its banter apart from the tabloid journalist with some column inches to fill by tomorrow morning. If you don't believe me then check out ARRSE or PPRUNE where non stories regularly get lifted to fill space in a paper.

Think guys - this is the reputation of the RN at potential risk here.

Well phuq me!Do you REALLY think that journos have nothing better to do than look for dits like this when the MP's are on the fiddle,The economy in a shoite state,and some woman in Jockanistan appears to be a singing phenomenon?Yes it is Banter and i am sure that the lass in the pic could take a joke as well as the next service person.If not then maybe they shouldnt have joined?Makes me laugh,we havent had a single journo on ROMFT trolling for a dit,and beleive me they would have a field day on there,we were concieved as a "cyber Mess square" as opposed to a regular RN site.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Andy - you don't get it do you. We all know its banter but journalist don't. They do lurk on places like this, and they do file stories - the Guardian has put out reports about squaddies comments on the NAAFI bar on ARRSE, and the Express routinely carries stories from PPRUNE.

Journalists are incredibly lazy creatures and want easy stories (god knows I know enough of them), and things like this are really easy stories to write. They've got a photo, they've got the MOD story and they can dig up a bunch of quotes from people slagging them off - its 30 minutes work and they've got something that will fill a few column inches - thats all they care about.

We're our own worst enemy at times - people here don't get that the banter that we think is fine is not seen that way by people that don't get our values and way of life. It would be all to easy to turn this into a really easy story if they wanted to. In fact, I'm half tempted to drop a tabloid a quick email to see if they run it...

Purple_twiglet, you need to take a chill pill that's service banter and always has been unless of course you are cocooned in fluffy cotton wool? When the day comes that you cannot take the piss out of each other it will be the day to sell off HMS Victory.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
"Purple_twiglet, you need to take a chill pill that's service banter and always has been unless of course you are cocooned in fluffy cotton wool? When the day comes that you cannot take the piss out of each other it will be the day to sell off HMS Victory."

Fink - I know its service banter, but my point is that a lot of the people who may read this site don't know its service banter. We have to remember this, as it can potentially cause huge problems for the RN. Never forget that anyone can see this site, not just matelots...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Current Affairs 8
MoD_RSS Current Affairs 0
PartTimePongo History 47