Naval General Training (NGT) test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by stufish, Oct 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

anyone have any information on what is likly to be covered in the Naval General Training (NGT) test on week 6 of basic training.

many thanks

Stu

2. Not sure how much it's changed

But NGT Using covers a whole range of topics from ranks and rates, branches, the ships flotilla etc

I found my old NGK book the other day lol

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Going back may moons to my NGT, it was things like Ship location markings, the meaning of the initials 'RAS' & what it entailed (safety), Rank Structure & Badges of Rank (all 3 services), ship recognition & suchlike.

4. Yep it was the same when I did it.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yes but it was much more difficult when we did it, as the Master at Arms used to flog us with a wet lettuce leaf whilst we wrote the answers in the light cast by lamps burning whale blubber, using a sabre tooth tiger's claw on a piece of slate.

You were lucky.

6. lmao :)

thanks for the info guys! I'll try to buff up on my all round Navy knowledge
    before I head off to basic.

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

N_S: You had lights?! 8O :lol:

8. On my last ship as an old bold CPO, when the middies came onto my section for an ME acquiant, if I heard them using jackspeak I used to ask them the origin of the word/phrase and if they didn't know they were detailed off to find out
    Also used used to quiz the lads when they were after a m&m

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Huh! You were lucky... my old Buffer used to make us either:

a. Buy a football lottery ticket
    b. Give him your fag stamps

If you wanted a Make & Mend!

8O :lol:

10. :lol:

11. I seem to remember the GNK exam at Raleigh had questions about cleaning products, such as "what do you use MEP7(?) for" or "what colour buffer do you put on the bottom of the machine to polish the floor!"

"Who cares" was never one of the possible answers though - don't know why !

12. You're not from wales are you, short fella with blonde hair? Ha!

My old CPO(S) did that but with our NBCD booklets and one off random Naval questions, swear he found it funny as hell. The random questions that is!

13. There were different coloured buffers to use? Never knew that! Thought the buffer machine was used for sh*ts n giggle for the dabbers on a slow day! Like a fun fair ride!

There were the typical questions on officer ranks, you would be shown pictures of their epilletes and asked to write down the rank, same goes for SR's and trades. Also, types of ships (recognition), watches, write down the times of the watches i.e. first watch, second watch, dog watch, 1st and last etc