Naval food slang

:roll: New ones to me!!! 1 Cacklebeery ie Egg. 2 Spithead Pheasant ie Kipper. 3 Train Smash ie Tinned Pilchards in Tomato Sauce. :wink: corrected spelling mistake :oops: :oops:

scouse said:
:roll: New ones to me!!! 1 Cracklebeery ie Egg. 2 Spithead Pheasant ie Kipper. 3 Train Smash ie Tinned Pilchards in Tomato Sauce. :wink:
I thought it was cackleberry? And Train smash was Pot mess?

Teddybears ears - Prawn crackers. = that's my favorite.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
?Cackleberry (negat crackle..). Whistleberries per contra being baked nbeans. Always understood that train smash was tinned tomatoes. Herrings In were always Herrings In. Supplied (like Corned Dog and ship's biscuits) as emergency rations, which had to be rotated to keep in date, so tended to turn up rather regularly. The corned dog was in 56lb tins so rather a problem in a minesweeper to get through a tin in one sititng as it were.

scouse said:
:roll: New ones to me!!! 1 Cacklebeery ie Egg. 2 Spithead Pheasant ie Kipper. 3 Train Smash ie Tinned Pilchards in Tomato Sauce. :wink: corrected spelling mistake :oops: :oops:
Perhaps if you'd spent some real time at sea you'd have heard these expressions..... :lol: (Ducks to avoid Scouse's incoming projectile)

Cheesy, Hammy, Eggies - best ever.

Skinheads on a raft - Beanz on toast.

Jewish hand grenades - Pork Pies

HITS - Herrings in tomato sauce.

Jap wedding cake - Rice Pudding

Baby Spew - Sandwich spread

Babys heads - Steak & Kidney Pudding

Yellow Peril - Smoked Haddock

Action man pillows = Ravioli.
Snorkers in fearnought(spelling??) = battered sausage.
Ballerina Shit = strawberry angle delight
Monkeys spunk= Semolina
Mermaids piss = Vinegar
Fullers earth = pepper
Piss filters = Kidneys
Tank tranks = that funny looking strip of kebab meat.
Apples (ie pint of) = cider
Banjo = filled roll (any one know where this one comes from???)
Moo juice = milk
Goffer = fizzy drink
Rats coffin = pastie
elephants toenail = pastie
janner kebab = pastie

Thats it im spent!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not bad for a Woo i think!

I would say

"train smash" was Arigoni's (tinned toms) and sausages at worst the tinned type or rashers of bacon.

"Elephants feet" Spam fritters.

Go to this page if you want the receipes for thes delightful creations.

Jacks Grub

Nutty

[quote="
Banjo = filled roll (any one know where this one comes from???)
[/quote]

I have always taken it from Egg Banjo where after completion you always find egg yolk down your front and attempt to wipe if off. The wiping motion being akin to playing a Banjo, well thats what my sea dad told me!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Brown flavour = gravy/chocolate custard
Yellow flavour = cheese sauce/custard

Shit = everything else
Fried egg on top = leftovers ("You'll keep getting it until it's gone!")

:thumright:

type42stoker said:
scouse said:
Perhaps if you'd spent some real time at sea you'd have heard these expressions..... :lol: (Ducks to avoid Scouse's incoming projectile)
Don't have to spend time at sea, I heard those expressions as a teenager, that is about the time that Pontious had just gained his wings.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Current Affairs 3
Tartan_Terrier The Quarterdeck 67
PartTimePongo History 47