Naval engagements off Korea AND in the Gulf

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Naval_Gazer, Mar 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Things are getting quite interesting in certain parts of the world:

South Korean navy ship 'sinking near North'

Naval battle between UAE and Saudi Arabia raises fears for Gulf security

2. The evidence seems conclusive: 'North Korean torpedo' sank South's navy ship - report. Our government is certainly convinced.

In Tom Clancy's world, a North Korean submarine would quietly 'disappear' sometime during the coming weeks.
  3. All we need now is the Koreans at war.....
  4. They have been since 1950, it's just a long ceasfire they're in at the moment.
  5. They were saying on the news just a moment N.Korea have stated if they get punished they will declare all out war on S.Korea. Also they said it may take a little more than just talking according to the person being interview I think it was the foreign minister

Time to go spread some gash buzzes in the Naafi queue :lol:
  6. Does N Korea really pose any threat?, i know they have mass numbers, but technology wise as far as im aware its out dated Russian equipment. I know S Korea are well trained, and mainly use U.S Equipment and their technology.
    I wonder who gave the order to fire ? Anyway as mentioned it's all kicking off on the other side of the world.
  7. The issue isn't really about which of the Korea's can "whup the other one's ass" - it's about who will be dragged into the fray from the Superpowers - nightmare scenario would be a Sino-US war by proxy - not as far fethched as it might seem given the undertakings given by each to their peninsular puppets
  8. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

Potential naval warfare in the vicinity of major areas of sea trade surely not?

Why how can this be when so many have suggeted that the Navy costs too much and should be reduced to a shadow of it former self.

I will laugh my ass off when it costs £200 to fill a car up with petrol from the gulf and new ipod from China costs £1000, people will ask where is the Navy, sorry we cut them to fund the welfare state and people said that getting involved in foreign conflicts was pointless and we should just stay at home and defend the Isle of Wight.

There will be an increasing amount of this sort of small scale naval warfare in the future, generally it will be fought in littoral areas, lets hope we are not caught unprepared.

Rant over for the moment.
  9. So i guess that it's now been confirmed, what move is S Korea going to take ?
  10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This is about the defence of democracy. If we believe in democracy, we have to be ready to defend it.
  11. Darned if I know - thankfully it isn't up to me but also thankfully the attack was by the loony on the sensible one and not the other way round - if it had been a N Korean ship taken out by a S Korean submarine I shudder to think what the response would have been.

Regrettably, this looks like the start to more pushing, grunting and bullying by the North - and if you don't stand up to bullies we all know what happens!