Naval discipline

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Popsical, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :? Hi Out there
    PLEASE can anyone tell me, if disciplined, what would 2 days No2 be?
    As regulations probably changed over the years this was in 1945.
    Something else--- KTD indicates that the weather was terrible. What does KTD stand for? Again this was in WWII and related to North Atlantic Convoys.
    Your help gratefully received.
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Welcome to Rum Ration, Popsical.

- No. 1 Punishment was Imprisonment (civilian jail).

- No. 2 Punishment was used to describe Detention; for RN/RM personnel at the time, this would have been at RN Detention Quarters, HM Naval Base Portsmouth (now the RM School of Music). Pre-Naval discipline Act 1957, periods of a few days at a time was not an uncommon punishment awarded by COs.

- No. 3 Punishment was Disrating to a lower rank.

- No. 4 Punishment was Dismissal.

I have no idea what KTD means; perhaps one of our old Sparkers/Buntings can help...

3. 'Kin Tippin Down ? :)
  4. Kinetic Temperature definition=KTD

I believe it is to do with gasses causing pressure which alter weather fronts.
    Corrections welcomed :D :D
  5. So V8 got the 'Kin bit right then :wink:
  6. Fors'kin would be close also as pressure on it can cause changes in Y fronts :D :roll: :oops:
  7. KKA :wink:
  8. :) Thank you sgt pb,V8, Rumrat and Wreck', As he was in the middle of the Atlantic at very end of the war I guess he would have been put in detention on ship. V8 other comment he would have appreciated, I think.
    Thanks a lot
  9. No prob.If you need to know what No. 9's are I can let you know in great detail :D :D
  10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What does No9's stand for? I had 28 straight days once for getting caught. I know what it involves but why No9's....what was No8's?

Stood on the flight deck off one of Her Majesty's war canoes with everyone else forming a hollow square around you whilst your various charges are read out and badges taken away is a giggle, especially when the captain announces what you have done is so serious it's above his head and some Admiral in Pompey has to charge you is real special, what goes through your head is "we're on a warship, the Captain has the power to hang me, fcuk, this is humour they're gonna hang me twice..."
  11. sgtpepperband

Blobs, I think you have your Naval Punishments mixed up. Number 9s was extra work and drill (i.e. extra musters and scrubbing out the Galley, etc.) but 14 days was the maximum awarded. However Number 10s was just stoppage of leave, consisting of numerous musters at certain times of the day, for which the CO could award up to 28 days...

And Number 8s - now called Number 4s! - are Action Working Drill (blue shirt and trousers). :thumbleft:
  12. We had 14's as pun not 10's. 14's was stopped leave and musters, don't know when 10's came about, but I left mob in 89 and still 14's then I'm certain.
    !0's was a dress code, white front, white shorts, black stockings and black shoes. 10A's was No8 shirt, black shorts black stockings and shoes.
  13. Number 9s always included an 1hr period of shuffles, after work as well. On shore establishments :cry:
  14. Thinks it's something to do with Keelhauling,cat O' nines and a damn good flogging.
    About time they moved them back from Soho to the RN!and it was free!
  15. ..and 10AR'S Rummy, shorts,negative top and Chogi sandals, NOT pusser sandals as you know, tore yer ankles to shreds.
  16. In pedant mode AWD is Action Working Dress but you knew that SPB :wink:
  17. :thumbright:
  18. I think 2nd class for conduct wasn't greatly appreciated by those who "won" them...
  19. sgtpepperband

"Second Class for Conduct" - been there, done that... :oops: :cry:
  20. Amateur,...Real men go to DQ's :roll: :D :D :wink: