Naval Crowns

Discussion in 'History' started by HellofromFrance, Jul 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bonjour Matelots,

Please excuse a mere retired pongo from barging in from ARSSE without an invitation but I have a highly technical question for which I would much appreciate an answer.

At the top of your jack staffs on the pointed end of your ships you have a Queen's Crown - and at the blunt end on your ensign staff you have a King's Crown. Or is it the other way around?

Anyway my question is why the two different crowns?
  2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Should be Queen's crowns on both - certainly were on my last ship. Where did you come across this example?
  3. Twas aboard four little Patrol Boats manned by university boys and girls who called into our local French harbour a few days ago. I believe they are part of the Archer Class.
  4. Simple, royal crown on the stern, naval crown on the jackstaff in the bow. That also sounds right for 42s, given the light they have at the top of them in the bow. Carriers royal at both ends. Somebody feel free to dive in and corerect me- I've confused myself now....

Certainly right for P2000s though.
  5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Thats right - naval crown on Jackstaff, the anchor light would modify the shape - had forgotten about that.
  6. As far as I'm aware it should always be Naval crown on the jack staff and the current royal crown on the ensign staff.

The only ship I know that was different was the Royal yacht which had royal crowns forward and aft.

Photo's to follow as not able to attach from work

Ex yeoman of signals

7. 2 further photos
  8. Many thanks lads. I am now quite clear about your crowns - I think.

Bit worried about Jack with a gun in that photo. Do they let you have real ammo as well?
  9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

If it's anything like my sentry go on the Foc'stle onboard LCT 4064 at Suez, the OOD kept the Ammo on the bridge and said if Ammo was needed I had to come and ask for it........! No sh1t.
  10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Scarily, we do have live ammo. Be afraid, be very afraid! :wink:
  11. 2 things, 11 years in the mob 5 different ships never noticed different crowns. Second thing how come jack still gets guns and live rounds :p
  12. A wonderful LRO(T) in HMS Minerva by the name of 'Dids' Langdon was renovating the ensign staff crown in his hands one day c.1974 when Lt HRH the POW RN hove into view. Allegedly, he thrust the crown towards him and said, "Congratulations Sir. Your B13 has just come through."
  13. Priceless!!!!
  14. Just a little note too add to the above. When the Ensign (or a Queen's Colour) is carried ashore by Naval Guard the staff is also surmounted by a Royal Crown.
  15. My first post but will be trawling through different forum subjects to add my two pennyworth to some.

Had to order a new crown for our ensign staff and myself and an SA spent ages thumbing through the Naval Stores catalogue to get a pattern number.

Finally found it under "Moulding, metal" and then a description as "Royal crown of Saint Edward"
  16. Thats a brill dit NG,thanks for sharing it 8)
  17. 30 years of Naval Service and never noticed the difference in the Crowns! :oops:
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Me neither
  19. Unless the new Monarch opts to recycle the current Crown everything in the Kingdom/Commonwealth bearing the Crown will have to be changed.

Long ago those managing such matters will have laid out their detailed & carefully considered final drafts of Plans A B or C, including whatever length the change-over period is to be.

Thankfully, our guardians of precedent, pageantry and heraldic tradition, (unlike our unworthy politicians) rarely make a faux pas on such matters.