Naval Base Visit

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cambsrecruit, Dec 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Im coming up to my AIB and im trying to get a visit in to a Naval base. However I'm not even sure that this is possible. Im located in East Anglia and trying to find one to contact which isn't too far, as im in full time employment and struggle to get time off!

I don't suppose anyone can offer any help/contact details???

Cheers

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth is probably your best bet.

Would that be Weymouth, East Anglia where you're located?

3. Oh right I will look into that then! No im based in Cambridge, funnily enough Weymouth is my hometown, I was looking into Portland Naval base HMS Osprey however I know it closed in 1995 or sometime around then so don't know if any part of it is still functional.

4. Waspie is your man :wink: :wink:

5. Here, let me do that for you, err I mean, let me help you with that!!!

Its not hard to find out!!

Its just a few clicks away

Google is your friend, as is the RN Website (it never ceases to amaze me how much information there is available about the RN on that RN website you know :roll: )

TOP TIPS:

No1 - You will have to be a lot more pro-active and self sufficient if you are going to AIB you know

No 2 - The Internet is a great resource for all sorts of information

6. I did find lots of contact information on Naval bases, HOWEVER I was wondering if Portland Naval Base HMS Osprey is still operational in any way. As you will see their contact details are not included on the page that you so kindly sent me Egg_Banjo.

7. Even if it is operational, which I don't think it is, you would be better off going to Pompey or Guzz.

There is fcuk all to see at Portland unless you are interested in a radio mast and some fishing boats.

Get to Pompey, do the Historic Dockyard, see Victory in all her glory, blag your way around a real life, operational, pusser's grey war canoe if you can, then go out on the smash in Gunwharf, trap and get a room in the Travel Lodge.

This will give you a much better insight into Naval life than anything else.

8. sounds like a brilliant plan 2_deck_dash. Cheers.

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Portland Port as it is now known is completely a civilian port, RFA's use a couple of the berths and there is the odd visit from targets and Boats.

The old accomadation blocks at Castletown are being turned in Yuppie flats

HMS Osprey itself if mainly demolished

The RNAS now contains the SAR (Coastguard) hanger and landing strip. The rest of it is being turned into commercial units, Sunseeker have a big shed there amongst others. The Weymouth and Portland Sailing place is a large part of it and will of course host the sailing events at the next Olympics.

The Officers Field will become some sort of housing estate in the not too distant future.

A new marina has been built adjacent to the Sailing Centre.

There are a few photos on the Dorset Submariners Gallery (click my signature)