Naval Base Review?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by willsonline, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whats happened to the Naval Base Review?

Have they decided where the axe is gunna fall, from what i read Plymouth was going to gets its pants pulled down, and Portsmouth would escape (mostly) as NBC(P) said no job losses would be needed?

Me none the wiser...

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Simple to work out, see which area has more labour voters. The one that can return more MP's for the dear leader wins. Fcuk the one's that weren't going to vote Labour.

Bums on seats, bums on seats.
  3. ive learnt nothing from this
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

OK, I'll say it slowly..........Which Naval base will cause the Labour Party.......

Still with me on this?.....

.......The least grief to axe........

Hanging on in there?

....With the least damage to the Labour party.....

Push it out, nearly there...

....In terms of votes.
  5. After the last ten years of shite - none of them
  6. The last review was angling towards Guz surviving. Now probably deferred until after the Spithead deep water channel's been dredged.

Funny old world.
  7. Pompeys screwed then…
  8. We all know all 3 bases are being kept but we havn't had any detail - there was talk of FLJ being leased/sold, Nelson Officers Mess being turned into a Hotel and job losses/partnering.

None of this has happened, so, my question is still relevant?

Where is the detail?
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"There was talk..." - the only relevant part of your statement. 8O
  10. Current speculation in Guzz is that due to a drop in the amount of submarine work, Babcock Marine will announce a substantial number of redundancies. Presentations will be made tomorrow, where it is expected that up to 900 jobs could be lost.
  11. By my reckoning they seem to have made a lot of the workforce redundant already - if you are associated in any way with submarine work in Devonport then it is quite apparent that they do not have enough resource to carry out a V boat LOP(R), T boat LOP(R) and T boat RAMP, in parallel. No wonder they never deliver a contract on time. I don't believe the Ocean project is in any better shape. The supposed reduction in submarine work is just a smokescreen.
  12. Well I suppose they can always send the bombers and T boats over to the States for refits…
  13. Just heard on SKY 600 jobs to go in Guzz ........
  14. Radio 2 News announced it as well , kinnell .
  15. It's their own fault, they voted Tory in the local elections and Neue Arbiet lost control of Plymouth Council
  16. What's that got to do with jobs at the Naval Base with a contractor?
  17. Yes - I was trying to work that one out :thumright:
  18. All the naval bases have a "Partnering Agreement" with Babcock/FSL (signed in 2002).

Job losses at BM are as a result of lack of work, obviously. Shame the figure is high though.

But at least its not