Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by treshbfg, Jan 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My daughter has recently passed her entrance test, interview and medical with her fitness test planned in a month or so. She has applied for the trade NA(SE). I would be grateful for any views or info on this trade that are not printed in the glossy magazines.

I have served over 22 years in the green side of the forces so although not fully au fait with your lingo am quite happy to hear any warts an all opinions.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3. treshbfg, I have been out too long to be able to give you an upto date picture of the Branch. However if you go to the link I've posted below, somebody there should be able to giveyou some insight.
    During my time they were responsible for all of the Flying clothing and survival equiptment used by Aircrew. I'm sure they do the same today plus!
  4. My son is in the process of re-applying for NA/SE. He did 7 years - sacked it. Now wants in again!!! I dunno youf of today!! :roll:

Cannot tell you what they serve on but the job is as you realise working on the aircraft survival equipment.

That will mean, liferafts, seat straps, all search and rescue equipment. Flying helmets, not only servicing them but fitting them. Normally the section called the 'drill section will take aircrew through there liferaft drills in the event of a ditching.

The phrase survival means they can end up in a section and will give survival lectures to aircrew. That will entail then doing survival training themselves. Ultimately maybe doing the SAS survival training to give them a Combat survival instructor qualification. Needed to get the cushie American exchange draft!!!!!!

As a small trade, promotion can be a bit slow but being a female helps advance that a bit - or so my son says as that was the reason he left!!!!!!

Hope that helps.
  5. Can he do me a dhoby bag, doug?
  6. For a weeks tot they would make you a Holdall, Tho` the Sailmaker would make you a suit out of a bag of rags.
  7. Thanks for all the replies and RoofRat the link was really useful.

8. Even whilst Portland was running - 'rabbits' were stopped!!!

Lost a big trade in dingy covers, (and dhoby bags ginge!! :lol: )
  9. :lol: 28 years I've been outside, and I still have and use my Dhoby bag :lol:
    For those who don't know, it is made of two Aircrew survival suit pockets stitched back to back, fitted with a tape loop handle.
    Thanks Rog. it was well worth a pint.......................... :lol:

treshbfg, you're welcome.
  10. I was talking to an SE a couple of years ago, he said big changes had taken place in the branch especially at VL, the majority of the section was mainly run by ex-SEs on better pay.

11. Dont forget the aircrew suit pen holder stiched to the side to put your toothbrush in!

WAFU dhoby bags, the envy of all fish heads! Gotta love it.....
  12. Got one - two side pockets with toothbrush and razor pockets attached excellent even my missus tries to nick it.
  13. Me too! mines seen far too many turn to's!!!