Naval Airman (aircraft handler)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ossyboydug, Jun 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know how long the waiting list fot this job is?

2. 22 months.

3. FOOK ME!! :!: i thought having to wait 3 months was bad enough

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Bad news for most trades, the waiting times are fast getting nearer to a minimum of 12 months wait from passing the Recruiting Test to actual entry, with only a few exceptions.

The few trades with less than 12 months wait are mostly within the submarine service & Royal Marines Commandos.

The simple fact is that there are now more applicants than jobs immediately available.

5. Do people every get refussed simply because there isn't any room for them in ther forseeable future?

6. nope, the waiting list just gets longer

7. A mate of mine has been waiting for over a year and has still not heard anything

8. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, that's about it.

Back in 1993 (before I was a Recruiter) we actually stopped recruiting in certain trades. Years later there was a "gap" in the rank structure of those branches, which caused no end of snags.

The RAF "Open" & "Close" trades to recruiting as required, so people can only join in certain trades. The problem with our system, not that I've a suggestion for a better method, is that we always get plonkers joining in a shortage trade in order to "queue jump" to get in- they then swear 'black is white' that the AFCO told them they could simply transfer after they joined.

You can't win really, there are a finite amount of jobs & those that are over-subscribed will have a longer wait.

9. That "Black Hole" is still causing snags!

A question, just to satisfy my curiosity - Once you've gone through the recruitment process and have made it onto the waiting list are the places allocated in order of your position on the list (ie longest waiting gets first place) or is there some sort of selection process from the list once vacancies come up?

10. "That "Black Hole" is still causing snags"

A friend of mine says his biggest job is trying to stop NAs putting in there notice due to lack of job satisfaction - basically no a/c to use on carriers! While people that I joined up with in 77, are being brought back in through the FAA reserve thingy.

11. Ninja_Stoker

For ratings places are allocated in order of your position on the list (ie longest waiting gets first place).

For Officers the "best" get in first. (Believe it or not :lol: )