Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler)

Hi everyone,
Im currently in the process of joining the Navy having just passed my recruiting test. I now have to choose my trade that I want to do but im torn between Seamen Specialist and Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler), could anyone give me more of an insight as to what the job of a Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler) involves eg day to day jobs. I know what jobs a Seamen Specialist involve but any extra information on that trade would also be appreciated.
Thanks
 

slim

War Hero
wbashane90 said:
Hi everyone,
Im currently in the process of joining the Navy having just passed my recruiting test. I now have to choose my trade that I want to do but im torn between Seamen Specialist and Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler), could anyone give me more of an insight as to what the job of a Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler) involves eg day to day jobs. I know what jobs a Seamen Specialist involve but any extra information on that trade would also be appreciated.
Thanks

I may be an ex wafu and so ever so slightly biased, Go for Aircraft Handler.
Excellent employment prospects at most major airports when you leave the RN.
Great camaraderie within the branch.
However if you have scored high enough for AET then that would be the better option.
The RN doesn't have to be for life, but the skills you learn will last you a lifetime.
 

soleil

War Hero
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/careers-roles/air-operations-support/naval-airman-(aircraft-handler)/*/changeNav/00h00h002003002/tab/4/
 
Thanks for your help so far people, have an extra question to add, what are the travelling experiences like, eg which job would spend more time at sea or on tour? I have a feeling it would be a Seamen Specialist, if you cannot answer this thanks anyway
 

Karma

War Hero
Try searching the site, there are endless threads with the handlers all telling one another how wonderful they are...
 

scouse

War Hero
wbashane90 said:
Thanks for your help so far people, have an extra question to add, what are the travelling experiences like, eg which job would spend more time at sea or on tour? I have a feeling it would be a Seamen Specialist, if you cannot answer this thanks anyway
correctomondo, however it will still be a better bet being a "Chockhead" but im biased. Sea time is not that romantic!!! Woos know best!!
 

scouse

War Hero
Karma said:
Try searching the site, there are endless threads with the handlers all telling one another how wonderful they are...
Well of course they are :wink: :wink: quote :lol: As we taxied out of the wires of my first arrest,i was immediately struck by the skills of the Handlers, as they marshelled us to within inches, and marvelled at their professionalism :wink: :wink: :wink: :salute:
 

Karma

War Hero
scouse said:
Karma said:
Try searching the site, there are endless threads with the handlers all telling one another how wonderful they are...
Well of course they are :wink: :wink: quote :lol: As we taxied out of the wires of my first arrest,i was immediately struck by the skills of the Handlers, as they marshelled us to within inches, and marvelled at their professionalism :wink: :wink: :wink: :salute:

Veritable legends in their own standeasy
 

Waspie

War Hero
Aircraft Handlers.

Who else could get paid for waving at pilots all day long. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go AH, great fun, great life and smashing goochie fire kit to pose in!!!!!
 

lw188

Newbie
i went with aircraft hanndler and have just got my start date for oct 25th 09 the only down side is that i had to wait 15 months to join!!!! can't wait tho
 

Rookie-WWFC

Lantern Swinger
I've just done an RNAC so whilst i'm not the top authority on this I know a little bit, I'm joining as a WAFU but the branch preference talk was given by an SE and about the FAA as a whole, that includes chockheads.

Chockheads have to learn a lot of fire fighting as one of their big job's on the deck as well as guiding in aircraft, is to take control if an aircraft crashes, similar to WAFU's in that if they're on a ship with only one aircraft and that aircraft's not out or is being worked on then they've not got a lot to do, the thing is that when their is work to be done there's a lot, on ship's with a number of aircraft you can be guiding in aircraft throughout your watch.

Aswell as this the time's when an Aircraft is most likely to have a crash is during bad weather and so you have to be up on deck when the ship is pitching and rolling in foul weather doing your job. You might also have some responsibility for maintenance of aircraft? as well as usual duties for a sailor.

Not sure it's all 100% correct but it's as good as I can re-collect it and i must admit to have been paying more attention to the WAFU part rather than Chockhead.

In short it's a job where you'll be outdoor's in good weather or bad where you get time's where you're not so busy but when you are busy you're as busy as any other job in the RN. You have a lot of responsibility and because it's a small branch you'll be in a tight knit group, I believe there's about 400 Chockhead's in the RN.
 

Latest Threads

Top