Naval Aircraft Handler vs. Marine Engineer vs. Medical Assistant in the RN

Engineering trades will give you skills and qualifications which are easily transferrable to a civilian environment.
Engineering is Engineering be it military or civilian.
Aircraft Handler will also give you transferrable skills but you will be more limited in which civilian area you may wish to work. If you are going to be an aircraft handler i would sugest that you use your annual educational allawance to study for Heath and Safety qualifications. These should widen your employment hopes drramatically.
Medical assistant should lead to employment within the health service.

Having said all this I know of a WO2 Engineerig artificer who on leaving the service became....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................A Paramedic :)

Engineering trades will give you skills and qualifications which are easily transferrable to a civilian environment.
Engineering is Engineering be it military or civilian.
Aircraft Handler will also give you transferrable skills but you will be more limited in which civilian area you may wish to work. If you are going to be an aircraft handler i would sugest that you use your annual educational allawance to study for Heath and Safety qualifications. These should widen your employment hopes drramatically.
Medical assistant should lead to employment within the health service.

Having said all this I know of a WO2 Engineerig artificer who on leaving the service became....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................A Paramedic :)
One of the paramedic at my surgery is ex Remember, even though he has done some contracting as a medical with Royals.

I do have personal experience of aircraft handling. Also YES I am giving advice from somebody currentley serving at Yeovil.
That person you are speaking to at Yeovil IS NOT an RN recruiter , the advice YOU are dishing out to impressionable youngsters is wrong and you should cease forthwith. It is their future you are messing with so leave it to the experts at AFCO. If you continue to give duff advice I will report you to the owners of this site to have you banned.

Similar to Slim, I know an AET and a POAET who are both training to become paramedics right now, as well as an MA who decided to do the same.

Good call, Slim. I forgot about those two.

AH is a good branch whilst you're serving, the skills learnt aren't directly transferrable, OK aircraft firefighting will get you an interview at an airport but there are not hundreds of vacancies.

ME is a good all round engineering job with loads of transferable skills, my mate (ex PO MEM) services the generators at my workplace.

MA, ok whilst serving we all joke that they issue tablets and bandages, we all saw the young female RN Medic getting awards for her time in the Stan. One of our RNA members was an MA and is now a fully qualified Cardiac Physiologist to the A list stars :)

I would seriously thing about ME or MA over AH, and that's coming from an ex WAFU. However AET is the king of all trades :)

Last edited:
Cmon Tazztiff surely by now after all this time you must have learned that the Wafus are Gods chosen people :p
Only when they used to share the flight nutty with the Hangar Services and Air Weapons Maintainer on board - i.e. me!
(Mostly just before they had a complaint about something not working)

Last edited: