Naval Aircraft Handler vs. Marine Engineer vs. Medical Assistant in the RN

Hey R&R's...

This is a loaded first post I know, apologies, but I am looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly on these 3 positions (didn't want to post 3 seperate posts).

I'd like to hear stories, thoughts, routines, likes and dislikes, etc on them please. Share experiences, have a laugh or a rant - it is all things worth hearing.

I have read up about each position online and read through numerous threads on this site - although most threads are from a few years back and I know things change over time. So looking for up-to-date fun and relevant info.

Thanks!!

Hi I would aim for marine engineer make sure to revise maths for RT as it has to be above the regular score think it's 16/30 maths section. Marine engineer has the most prospects and a future outside the navy in my opinion with opportunities to undettake a degree. However if you don't score well enough in RT. I would go aircraft handler which doesn't have a high score requirement, that doesn't meen to say it's a bad job though if you are interested in aviation like me it would be a good option they also undertake HGV and Hazmat licenses I beleive. Medical assistant I don't know much about however you have to gain a high score in RT. From the jobs you have stated I would go for marine engineer first option aircraft handler as a back up medic assistant sounds a completley different spectrum.

Hi I would aim for marine engineer make sure to revise maths for RT as it has to be above the regular score think it's 16/30 maths section. Marine engineer has the most prospects and a future outside the navy in my opinion with opportunities to undettake a degree. However if you don't score well enough in RT. I would go aircraft handler which doesn't have a high score requirement, that doesn't meen to say it's a bad job though if you are interested in aviation like me it would be a good option they also undertake HGV and Hazmat licenses I beleive. Medical assistant I don't know much about however you have to gain a high score in RT. From the jobs you have stated I would go for marine engineer first option aircraft handler as a back up medic assistant sounds a completley different spectrum.
Thanks so much!
I passed my RT with top marks hence why I have the options. I unfortunately have interests in many things and each position is pulling me in for different reasons.
I do understand that this choice is completely my own 100%, I'm just curious to hear others opinions/experiences etc. It all helps!
I have heard that ME has better opportunities after the Navy life, that is a pro. Will keep doing some soul searching :)

Go with marine engineer or another engineering role gain a trade mate. Aircraft handler sounds good but from what iv heard from a mate serving can become mundane with little at sea time mainly based at Yeovil or Culdrose outside naval service marine engineer would gear you up for better prospects. Aircraft handler would gear you up for a job possibly civi airside baggage handling and firefighting Iv done baggage/aircraft handling pays crap and hours you wouldn't want it pal. The biggest appeal with aircraft handler role is gaining hgv license which im not sure you are guaranteed anyway stick with marine or other engineering roles that will take you places mate.

@SafferBlondie This really is decision for you and you only. Anyone can come on this forum and sing the praises of a certain branch while another in the same branch might say give it a miss if I were you. We all have our prejudices and may find it difficult to hide them. All jobs have good days and bad days plus what you learn in the RN you might like to take back to civilian life so a little hard graft may take you a long way later.
Good luck with your application.

ShakeyJakey, what are you basing all of the advice that you are handing out on?
I know somebody serving at Yeovil having met many aircraft handlers bored of their job with little time at sea. Think it's best to aim high as a marine engineer with more prospects for qualifications and possibly a degree.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Some of the advice you've given has not been strictly accurate, it's best to only advise on what YOU know, not second or third hand information. Where are you in the RN recruiting stage are you.

Last edited:
So would you go in as an aircraft handler over a marine engineer?
I was an ME and like janner, a submariner although my eldest was an AET. Personally I think ME have a broader scope of transferable skills over AH or MA. An MA is not as qualified as a nurse or paramedic in civvy street for instance.

That really depends on what you want to do.

What is it about those jobs that appeal to you? What do you like doing?

I'd seriously consider trying to figure out what would give you job satisfaction and go from there.

On the handler side of it, I'd seriously consider going AET over AH. On a squaron you'd do exactly the same as the handlers as a secondary part of your role, and on a small ships' flight you'd be the handler. You can also get your HGV and HAZMAT quals as an AE given the right billet.

EDIT to make more sense:

On a squadron, handlers drive the aircraft tractor, do some refuels, and that's about it. AETs do both of those things as well as turn spanners.

Why do people continue to dish out advise for jobs that they know nothing about and are not qualified to give?

Hey R&R's...

This is a loaded first post I know, apologies, but I am looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly on these 3 positions (didn't want to post 3 seperate posts).

I'd like to hear stories, thoughts, routines, likes and dislikes, etc on them please. Share experiences, have a laugh or a rant - it is all things worth hearing.

I have read up about each position online and read through numerous threads on this site - although most threads are from a few years back and I know things change over time. So looking for up-to-date fun and relevant info.

Thanks!!
If you are keen on the RN as a career and you wish to join any of the 3 branches you mention, then you need to talk to any or all of 3 people:
Your parents
Your careers adviser
An Armed Forces Careers adviser.

If you are trying to decide on what to do with the rest of your life, don't take unqualified advise from some random bloke off the Internet.