National War Cemetery

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wet_blobby, Nov 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

2. I think it would be realy a good idea(like arlington)but i dont think the fammilies would like there loved ones buried so far (in some cases)away from them when they have been repartriated home in the fiorst place

3. We already have a good system of maintaining war graves. A lot of graves in local cemeteries and burial grounds add to a sense of local history eg The graves of airman lost during training in the churchyard closest to the airfield they died at.
    Burying those fallen in their own local cemeteries and burial grounds also means it is easier for the bereaved to visit them, and indeed care for them.

4. I'm sure I've seen reference to this somewere else, but the National Memorial Arboretum has been sited on old gravel works near Lichfield and there is enough space there for any potential War Cemetery. There are, of course, several sites in existence already - Haslar Naval Cemetery and the Army Cemetery near Tidworth are just two.

Having been at the Ride to the Wall event in October, there is enough interest from the general public for something like this to be a success.

5. Don't worry the gubmint will not rush into any decision but more likely procratinate for decades.The more money that is needed the less chance of anything being done unless there are any votes in it.

6. [quote="wet_blobby]"As long as urinating students and ********* with spray cans can be kept out I'm all in favour.[/quote]

Isn't it sad that this is one of our first considerations when discussing something like this?

7. There is plenty of public interest at present (Wooton Bassett effect) and cyclops needs the brownie points, but when things settle and we're no longer 'at war'...it will come... when our lads and lasses aren't getting shot at or blown to bits.. and we have the will to resist following the USA in their foolish adventures (Like we did in the 60's..Vietnam) Public interest will fade... politico's will find other bandwagons to jump on. A project like this isn't going to happen overnight... and I personally think it will never happen. It is the flavour of the month.... a good flavour, but alas it won't last.

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

But thats one o the easiset things to overcome ... just have a duty piquet 24hrs, armed with pick helves and no ROE, simples!!! they would only do it once[/quote]

Cool! Where's the chit? I wanna sign it NOW!! 8O :wink: