National Service in the RN

Discussion in 'History' started by Seaweed, Aug 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I've just taken the liberty of putting a dit about National Service on RRPedia. Probably only of interest to septuagenarians and older.

2. I joined in 63 and by that time it was an all volunteer navy. Though I met a few who had been conscripted and signed on as regulars.
    Interesting article, thanks

3. Must be thick or summink. I Have explored RRPedia and get only pages under construction.

What the feck is it all about and how do you get to read your article. Why could it not just be put on a Forum page?????? or am I missing the point.

Nutty

4. Try typing national service into the search box Nutty

5. Which brought me straight back to this thread but with the words National Service in Orange, Attempts to double click etc failed to do anything of interest.

Next move is?

Nutty

6. Seaweed

Click on RRPedia and then put National Service into RRPedia's own search box.

7. Thanks got there but surely there must be a list of articles or some form of index.

Nutty

8. National servicemen were not as branch restricted as the article intimates. My new entry class of May '52 included one, ex RNR/RNVR, with whom I am still in touch, (we swap Christmas cards and have met once and phoned perhaps half a dozen times, but we are in touch). He was 18, I was 16 and a 12 year man. We went through training together, then me Pompey, he Chatham. We were officers' cooks.

2BM

9. The link below makes some interesting reading and in particular the time spent with Pusser. Charles Dempsey was called up for National Service in the RN May 1952 and sent to Stonehouse RNH for training as a scab lifter. He later signed on for service and spent a lot of time with the Fishery Protection Squadron patching up fishermen off Iceland reals Boys Own stuff.

National Service

Nutty

10. Seaweed

See also Peter Cobbold's NS autobiography "The National Service Sailor", Quentin Books, 1993. Haven't looked at it for a while but seem to remember he was a stoker in HMS Jamaica in the Med (could be wrong about that).

Some may remember Jack Rosenthal's Channel 4 play 'Bye Bye Baby' about his time as a coder.