Naples as a WS

I'm currently down in the Falkland island's working at for BFSAI, my drafty emailed me this morning asking how I'd feel about taking a two year draft to Naples, she's not given me much info other than I'd be a security guard working shifts and I'd get my own place, anyone out there or done it and can give me details about it all ? I'm keen to go as I'm only a Sprog and want to get around as much as possible ! Cheers in advance !

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I've only visited the place on a war canoe but everyone I've heard who were lucky enough to get an overseas draft to Italy tell me (repeatedly) they thoroughly enjoyed it.

Why not email the person in the billet to ask?

I'm currently down in the Falkland island's working at for BFSAI, my drafty emailed me this morning asking how I'd feel about taking a two year draft to Naples, she's not given me much info other than I'd be a security guard working shifts and I'd get my own place, anyone out there or done it and can give me details about it all ? I'm keen to go as I'm only a Sprog and want to get around as much as possible ! Cheers in advance !
I'd snap their hand off :)

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
I was there in AFSOUTH in 94.
Great place to be posted for so many reasons.
I would highly recommend you accept as quick as possible.

To elaborate :
Iconic city to live in
Great weather
Food and restaurants fantastic
You can watch Napoli play
You can visit Vesuvius
Amalfi coastline and island of Capri beautiful
You can go skiing in winter
Golf nearby
Obviously a great expat military community
Stunning women (or men or whatever floats yer boat)
Good flight hub

Plus the Neopolitans have a very strong identity, it's them against the wealthy northern Italians. If you get on well there you will really get to feel their identity.

Last edited:

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
I did 3 x trips to the Falklands, 1st 82' (OP Corporate), 2nd patrol F88 in 84' & finally Port Stanley CBFFI again in 84' & let me tell you that if Drafty had given me the option of going anywhere else in the world rather than the South Atlantic I'd have been gone quicker than the RoadRunner & you need to ask if you should accept 2 years in the warm med. I think Drafty needs to ask if you need your head examined buddy ;-)

@Muddy-jnr-2016
I bow to the greater knowledge of Regular colleagues as to the workings of Drafty. Evidently, as anywhere, things depend on those with whom/for whom you are working, and the PiD you are filling. That aside, having friends (both Wardroom and LD) who have done stints in Naples I hear only of good times.

However, you joined the Navy to "see the world" - very little of which exists now, compared to decades former. You are young, free and single. What are you waiting for? I don't think Drafty does gold embossed invites. Take it before someone else does!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MG Maniac Travel & The Great Outdoors 10
Squirrel The Fleet 2
T Bases / Shore Est 8