NAMET

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Lingyai, Mar 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a question about modern day NAMET.
    First off, do they still have NAMET or have the binned it outright?
    When I joined in 85 a 7 was a failure, end of story, if you couldn't make 7 you went out.
    You needed at least a 5 to be a WEM.
    But I seem to recall that when I was instructing in Collingwood I was having trouble teaching some of the troops how to do transposition of formulae and fractions etc. and it turned out that some of them had NAMET in the 9 region???
    I didn't even know you could get a 9.
    Is this still the case?

2. I recall the same problem at Sultan with some lads being referedas having mad dog namet 20/20. I also heard tell of some new trainees being taught to tell the time ...

3. I had the unenviable task of WE Training Co-ordinator on a 23. When marking exams it was sometimes like trying to decifer a pissed up doctor's, with parkinsons, handwriting.
    Most of the OMs coming through had to do about 2 resits before scoring enough just so that they could do WE Rounds!! They seemed to expect spoonfeeding every step of the way, a distinct lack of drive, but I guess thats what had to happen just to get them onboard.

4. NAMET is gone.
    I think it got up 12/12 before they got rid.

LANTERN is the new NAMET.
    Literacy And Numeracy TEsting in the RN (I think).

5. So, just out of curiosity, how does the new system work and why, apart from the los of credibility, did they feel the need to change it?

SF

6. 12/12 ?????????? That must be borderline retarded, I am gobsmacked.

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Decifer....could someone Decypher that for me ..... I'll leave shall I :wink:

8. i might be wrong about the 12/12 bit Ling but if you could see the state of some of the mongs we have in the mob these days mate all your hair would fall out!! (Oh, it has, sorry ;) )
    As for the reason for changing, haven't a clue.

9. I joined in 1963 and volunteered fpr the FAA to get in you had to pass something called ETFA (educational test for fleet air arm ratings) If you passed this you were exempt ETLR (educational test for Leading Rate).
    NAMET at that time had not been introduced. As far as I know all FAA ratings had to pass this test before being accepted.
    So please remember guys that the Wafus are the cream of the navy!

Definition of cream...............Thick stuff that floats on the top

10. [​IMG]

11. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

They changed it because NAMET wasn't recognised as a qualification where LANTERN is.

12. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I read the DIN quite a while ago and to be honest haven't had anything to do with it for a while but I think it goes like this:

LANTERN isn't an exam as such, as NAMET was, it's more of a philosophy whereby you study toward a nationally recognised qual. Level 1 is basic numeracy and literacy along the level of the core GCSE syllabi. To get to LAET I believe you need level 2 which is about the level of a full GCSE, to be promoted to POAET you need level 3-A level equivelant. I may be wrong though and I think it's different for individual branches, someone at Sultan would be better suited to explain it as they probably deal with this daily. Most people in the system are already qualified by virtue of their professional courses for their branch so it only fully effects new guys joning up.

13. Lingy,

You joined in 1985?!!! At 16? That's means you're 6 years younger than me! I always assumed you were much older! :shock: :lol:

Steve.

14. Cheeky bugger Steve,
    I am a mere slip of a lad at 37.
    Don't dare call me skin though, KKKKen might be watching :lol:

15. OK Skin , sorry mate

16. Aaaaaaggghhhhhhh, you served with me Don and you know I aint skin :lol:

17. So I did Ling , happy days indeed

18. Ling wipes a tear from his eye, because it's true, sad, but true, the best days of my life.
    Right, enough of that, where's my dumbells?

19. Ah Bless , hope you had tissues , :lol: