Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Names of new Type 26 confirmed

The real names are going to be:
Glasgow, London,Plymouth, Sheffield,Coventry and Edinburgh

I know they are 'city' names, but yet again 2 ships named after the 2 42s that were lost in the Falklands and still nothing for the 2 21s. MOD was quick to name 2 22 Batch 2s after Coventry and Sheffield and at the time I (and many others) wondered where the recognition was for the 21s lost.

Not happy.
(No disrespect meant for the guys who served and especially those lost on those ships, but Ardent in particular is a historic Royal Navy ship name - Jutland and Norway, and I know we don't have the numbers to justify using all our historic names but.........)

Last edited:
I know they are 'city' names, but yet again 2 ships named after the 2 42s that were lost in the Falklands and still nothing for the 2 21s. MOD was quick to name 2 22 Batch 2s after Coventry and Sheffield and at the time I (and many others) wondered where the recognition was for the 21s lost.

Not happy.
(No disrespect meant for the guys who served and especially those lost on those ships, but Ardent in particular is a historic Royal Navy ship name - Jutland and Norway, and I know we don't have the numbers to justify using all our historic names but.........)
I don't see why they could not have called two of the Astute class Antelope and Ardent.

"The anti-submarine Type 26 frigate will be the first one built and eventually be the length of 15 buses."

Interesting, that "eventually".

Does that imply that the ship will be sort of telescopic/expanding?

And although the buses got a mention, they forgot to include the number of sausages etc......

...and football pitches :rolleyes:

Come on now, it is the 21st century... I'm sure we can measure them in rainbows can't we?

*drops line in water*

On a more serious note it is nice to see some historical names being use despite the lack of recognition for the 21's lost, potential to mention it as possible names for a second batch at all?

Latest Threads