NAME THIS PICTURE

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Backpacker1uk, Jun 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Flying into Liverpool took so many pics I lost count.

Would this be Liverpool or Birkenhead?? I can see two grey jobs parked up.

Ta.

[​IMG]

2. If you came in from the Irish sea direction then Birkenhead would be on the right and Liverpool on the left.
    Easy really!

3. that would be birkenhead
    dave

4. The big grey one looks like a Leander type frigate - could it be a museum piece?.

5. Could it be HMS Plymouth, a Rothesay type frigate that is now a museum ship?.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Dunno if it helps, but could they not be old vessels from the Historic Warships Trust, East Float, Wallasey Docks, Birkenhead, which was forced to close on 5 February 2006?

As I understand the situation, the Mersey Docks & Harbour Co. withdrew their lease in favour of yet another development to convert the Rank Hovis wharehousing into luxury apartments.

The ships that were displayed by the Trust were as follows:

- the Falkland's veterans, HMS PLYMOUTH, a Rothesay-class frigate built by HM Dockyard, Devonport, commissioned in 1961

- the Oberon-class submarine, ONYX, built by Cammell Laird, Birkenhead, commissioned in 1967

- the Ton-class, mahogany-hulled, HMS BRONINGTON, completed by Cook, Welton and Gemmel at Selby in 1954 was built as a minesweeper and was converted to a minehunter in 1965. She was commanded by Prince Charles in 1976

- the light vessel, PLANET built in 1958 by Philip and Son, Dartmouth, for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board

:?

7. Quite correct sgtpepperband, take a bow

8. Thanks for all the info. I was being hassled at the time to move away from the window by the other half and some Austrian guy wanted to take a look.

The Ryan Air flight took a flightpath I have never experienced before plus I normally take the moonlight flight.

Visited Plymouth and Onyx many years ago when the lad was a nipper. I also signed the petition to try to have them moved over to Liverpool. Never knew anything about the other two boats. Thanks for the info.

The bridge came out fine considering the window cleaner had not been around for a while.

[​IMG]

9. Nice pic' of Runcorn bridge.
    Road on the right, railway on the left.
    Been over that many a time.

10. DO YOU MEAN THE WIDNES BRIDGE :thumright:

11. They are trying to buy her, and Transfer her to Plymouths Millbay dock "The Plymouth Preservation Trust" :thumright: PS Make sure you visit the Tall Ships Race at the Pool 18/21st July :thumright:

12. Damn we are down Farnborough!!! And Royal usually puts on a good display.