Name of the Second Dreadnought Class SSBN

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Yesterday, the Secretary of State for Defence, the Rt. Hon. Gavin Williamson unveiled the name of the second Dreadnought class submarine, Valiant.

He said: "This is an exciting moment – with £400m released for the next stage of the Dreadnought programme. HMS Valiant is a great name, for our ships and submarines have been valiant for 200 years. We are dedicated to making sure our deterrent is the best and strongest in the world.

The name 'Valiant' comes from the Valiant class of nuclear-powered fleet submarines in service with the Royal Navy from the mid-1960s until 1994. The original Valiant submarine was built and commissioned at the Barrow shipyard and launched in December 1963.

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Just guessing here, but I wonder if the third one will start War............

Remember - you heard it here first!!
It’s probably a very good bet, one that I’d back too. The interesting one will be the fourth boat. Could be Churchill, Conqueror or Courageous...or something completely different (to paraphrase Monty Pythons).

If it is a C boat, I’d bet on Conqueror.

fishhead

War Hero
It’s probably a very good bet, one that I’d back too. The interesting one will be the fourth boat. Could be Churchill, Conqueror or Courageous...or something completely different (to paraphrase Monty Pythons).

If it is a C boat, I’d bet on Conqueror.
Yes please if only to irk the Argies

Asasioun

Badgeman
I thought it was standard practice that all boats of a class started with the same letter? E.g all Astute class subs start with an A, so what's gone on here? Did they run out of D's? Or am I just uninformed?

Sent using Tapatalk

pompeyexpat

War Hero
I thought it was standard practice that all boats of a class started with the same letter? E.g all Astute class subs start with an A, so what's gone on here? Did they run out of D's? Or am I just uninformed?

Sent using Tapatalk
Common practice of late maybe, but certainly not standard practice. It's entirely in the hands of the naming committee.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero

Sent using Tapatalk
Antrim, Fife, Glamorgan, Kent, Devonshire, Norfolk, London, and another one!

Dusty70

War Hero
I do my best as a mere skimmer you know.......................................just want to join in your secret undersea society:cool:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Quick history lesson, here are some of the Diesel Boat names and crests from the A Boat era, fitted with gun for the Indonesian confrontation. Thanks to Philip Beattie for the art work.
49535878_2208755782671433_8051541496345657344_n.jpg

Last edited:

Stirlin

War Hero
janner , there were 4 boats in SM7 when I was on the Forth in 68/9....Cachalot , Onslaught , Rorqual and one other which for the life of me I cannot remember ?.:confused:

Latest Threads