Name Change

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Alesha, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone

I haven't posted before as all my answers have been answered so just been a lurker.

However something I have put great deal of consideration into is changing my name before I go to Raleigh in October as a CIS.

I don't want to bore anyone with details, but I don't want to carry my family name. If I change it via deed poll will this cause complications?

Or is it fairly straight forward, IE. turn up at Afco with deep poll documents etc.

Thank you for reading
    Alesha

2. Your current surname isn't Bin Laden is it? :wink:

3. Or polesmoker?

I joined with a lad named Flucker, cue years of abuse and the nickname "Mother". He was a thick scottish cnut anyway.

4. Cheeky sods :!:

No it's a weird sounding French name that no one can ever say or spell properly.

I get quite tired when meeting new people who often ask where myself (england thank you very much) or my parents come from.

Puts me in a bit of a weird position to either be honest and say "I have no idea, i'm an orphan" or lie - which I dont like to do.

Seeing as my sur name holds zero value I'd prefer something people here can actually pro nounce. :oops:

5. Alesha

You can, but you will need to take the deed poll docs into your AFCO as soon as possible, so that the allocators can be given the new info and the details for you on the system updated.

One major thing you need to know: you need to get your passport changed over into your new name and you must have your passport with you when you go to HMS Raleigh. Bear in mind that getting a new passport may take some time. Your NHS Card needs to be changed, too.

6. go on, what's your surname now?

and what you changing it to?

7. We're not all called Smith, Jones, Brown or Harris you know.

There's plenty of Le-froundrecoix, Kystzewicyzks, mallondroignertys and Verschwytzenhowtzens in the Navy too you know, no-one is that arsed, you'll just get the nickname of either Frenchy or watzer (whatshername) anyway.

8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Hmmmmm, assuming your a female and enjoy pork sausage, I would keep your surname, because its a fair bet you'll have a name change when married. :wink:

9. Hi Andrew, I'd prefer to remain Annonymous and I'll be changing it to my best friends name who I grew up with and now share a flat with.

Thanks Soleil, I'll get it done as soon as poss then.

Lol Monty, it's not a nice french name though, like La Boussière or something.

The only thing I can equivocate it to is the name "Olga" or "Petunia"!

A

10. I changed my name by deed poll too when i joined up, You must remain strong in the meantime, If you want to PM me with your current situation I will be glad to help you out all i can. PM me your name that troubles you and perhaps we can come up with some ideas.

11. I think "Spamhammer" would be good, or Himmler.

12. I was thinking more along the lines of an MJ tribute. Seeing as he was a nortorious kiddie Fiddler perhaps Glitter or Fritzel or a combination of nonces...

Micheal Josef Sidney Cook Glitter Jackson. RN

13. Some good ones here: Name changes

I particularly like Mr Happy Adjustable Spanners

14. Yep yep, fair enough, worth a try though!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, Mrs Ninja_Stoker has been on at me for ages to change our surname too.

Change of Name Deed Polls are very straightforward, however a few bits of advice, because even solicitors, the Passport Agency (or whatever they're called this week) & Banks can get it very wrong :

If under 18 the Deed Poll must be signed by both parents if they were named on the Register of Births, Deaths & Marriages when your birth was registered. If parents are separated both signatures are still required unless deceased.

If over 18 only your signature is required, however in all cases the Deed Poll must be signed by a Commissioner of Oaths (Solicitor) & it must be date stamped by the Solicitor.

Missing or incorrect signatures make the Deed Poll invalid, even if you have a Passport & Bank account in the assumed name.

Very often at AFCOs we have to tell people they aren't who they think they are, which usually causes a spot of angst :cry: . Very often when parents have separated, it's not realised that they may not assume their mother's maiden name without the Father's signature on the Deed - unless the court has granted written "sole legal custody".

Once you change your name, take the Deed poll to the AFCO together with your passport, etc., in your new name to allow the documentation to be copied & your joining details updated.

16. my surnames REMMER.

Do you think this might get changed to anything??

:wink:

17. Lol, cue the rest of your naval career referring to you as Rimmer and make jokes about ******* :p

18. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Mong, retard or just arssehole.

19. I liked Ima Stapler and Jellyfish McSaveloy 8) , I can just see the joss yelling those names out at the skippers table

20. at least one aspect of my civvy life will be coming with me to phase 1 then. :p