NAAFI to Shut Up Shop After a Century of Service

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Passed-over_Loggie, Jun 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Naafi to shut up shop after century of service | UK | News | Daily Express

I personally won't shed many tears over it but I'm sure it will be missed by many. There might be a commercial opportunity there for someone. If I remember rightly, FI NAAFI shop was almost exclusively Tesco.
  2. We, ships and establishments, get quite a lot of money from NAAFI, so we'll miss that.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Are the NAAFI shops on ships no longer run by NAAFI?

Whilst I'm a the NAAFI rebate was reasonable, we paid for it due to the inflated costs they charged.

Going back to the late 1980's shoreside, the CPO & Warrant Officers mess was run by the mess and PO's & Junior Rates bars run by NAAFI. The CPO's mess was about half the price for a pint and a fifth of the price for a short. Not sure that was a good thing, but NAAFI paid no overheads beyond staff wages & the CPO/WO's paid their bar staff a comparable wage. Needless to say, no one used the PO's mess.
  4. I think the EFI (which the ships' NAAFI is part of) will remain. They're talking about the shops in Germany (and other places) where squaddies pay over the odds because they can't be arsed to shop locally.
  5. [​IMG]

I shall miss them.
  6. I remember the old bloke on the ark who could serve half the queue at the same time! (Mick I think his name was?)

I thought they had shut up shop and changed to spar ages ago. It was the EFI in Kaf, Afghanistan.
  7. It went to Spar and then Londis at Raleigh, not sure who it is now.
  8. Spar - Dutch

Londis - British

A step in the right direction.
  9. I foresee many problems!!!

1. Where will the booties queue?

2. Where will all the good buzz's come from if there is no NAAFI?
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Where will the rockapes 'soldier'?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Where are Jock, Geordie and Scouse ladies going to find husbands?
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

13. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Post of the month that.

I remember, as a young sprog, being detailed to the NAAFI to get a Platoons worth of Pump Whitener for the next days PT kit inspection. On entering, i was told to wait for five or so minutes, so i did. Trying to avoid the threatening scowl of the Duty NCO who was with me (we were not, at this stage, permitted to get anything from the NAAFI bar cleaning essentials) i noticed that a member of the NAAFI staff was busy with a price gun in the boot/footwear cleaning section. When she had finished, i was told i could proceed and on getting to the section, saw that they had just put the prices up on Pump whitener.

Farewell NAAFI. I will miss you.
  14. There will need to be a review of security classifications to provide a replacement for "Top Secret NAAFI Cosmic". And although it will be no real challenge for Jack to provide an alternative, it will be a pity to lose: "You lie like a cheap NAAFI watch".
  15. How are all the lads who never eat on board 'because the food is so shit' going to survive? :chef:
  16. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Perhaps they will introduce the incorrectly named "Costcutter" onto HM's fleet.
  17. Wasn't the Naval Canteen Service, whose members served on ships, a separate part of NAAFI?
  18. Anyone remember No.3 biscuits and chunky pies? both around in the 60's and 70's
  19. Yeup! NAFFI chunky meat "tortoises" and meat patties and other such culinary delights - although I think "meat" was actually an optional extra!
  20. Can't remember the biscuits but remember the pies.
    • Like Like x 1