NAAFI to Shut Up Shop After a Century of Service

Naafi to shut up shop after century of service | UK | News | Daily Express

As part of a massive Army reorganisation, the institution supplying shops, clubs and recreation facilities on camp will close.

Naafi chief executive Reg Curtis said it “no longer makes economic sense” to remain open. He said the last remaining bases in Germany are due to close over the next seven years after which the “Naafi will actually cease to exist and our people won’t have jobs”.

The organisation employs 2,300 people at over 200 outlets around the world, including Afghanistan, Brunei, Gibraltar, Northern Ireland and the Falklands.

As well as job losses, the closure has led to concerns about how forces will be supplied. Chairman Sir Ian Prosser said: “There will clearly be some places where it is important for the Forces to be supported. How we cope with that is something we are obviously paying a lot of attention to at the moment.”
I personally won't shed many tears over it but I'm sure it will be missed by many. There might be a commercial opportunity there for someone. If I remember rightly, FI NAAFI shop was almost exclusively Tesco.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Are the NAAFI shops on ships no longer run by NAAFI?

Whilst I'm a the NAAFI rebate was reasonable, we paid for it due to the inflated costs they charged.

Going back to the late 1980's shoreside, the CPO & Warrant Officers mess was run by the mess and PO's & Junior Rates bars run by NAAFI. The CPO's mess was about half the price for a pint and a fifth of the price for a short. Not sure that was a good thing, but NAAFI paid no overheads beyond staff wages & the CPO/WO's paid their bar staff a comparable wage. Needless to say, no one used the PO's mess.

I think the EFI (which the ships' NAAFI is part of) will remain. They're talking about the shops in Germany (and other places) where squaddies pay over the odds because they can't be arsed to shop locally.

I remember the old bloke on the ark who could serve half the queue at the same time! (Mick I think his name was?)

I thought they had shut up shop and changed to spar ages ago. It was the EFI in Kaf, Afghanistan.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Where will the rockapes 'soldier'?
Post of the month that.

I remember, as a young sprog, being detailed to the NAAFI to get a Platoons worth of Pump Whitener for the next days PT kit inspection. On entering, i was told to wait for five or so minutes, so i did. Trying to avoid the threatening scowl of the Duty NCO who was with me (we were not, at this stage, permitted to get anything from the NAAFI bar cleaning essentials) i noticed that a member of the NAAFI staff was busy with a price gun in the boot/footwear cleaning section. When she had finished, i was told i could proceed and on getting to the section, saw that they had just put the prices up on Pump whitener.

Farewell NAAFI. I will miss you.

There will need to be a review of security classifications to provide a replacement for "Top Secret NAAFI Cosmic". And although it will be no real challenge for Jack to provide an alternative, it will be a pity to lose: "You lie like a cheap NAAFI watch".