Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N News: Big D shows off her 'massive potential' to the Big E

Asst_Ed

Lantern Swinger
Re: N News: Big D shows off her 'massive potential' to the B

soleil said:
I have a gut feeling that you speak German, Asst Ed, and I think that this influences your affinity with the subordinate clause in English ..........

By the way, one of the great joys for me personally is the titling of Navy News' articles - I'm still amazed by "Gaudi, Partners .......", about a ship's visit to Barcelona!

:)

Not so much speak German as read it. It's a lovely logical language... although their love of compound nouns and subordinate clauses inside subordinate clauses can make translation a tad tricky... Plus I did seven years ( 8O ) of Latin... Those loincloth and toga wearers also liked convoluted sentences...

Some readers like puns, some don't. Never pun on a serious story (by serious I mean anything where a dodgy headline might trivialise the contents, such as ops in Afghanistan, SDSR), but otherwise (almost) anything goes.

I take my lead from a sub editor on my very first paper in the days before the Interweb was invented. The town was twinned with Prague, which allowed lots of "Czechs check in" (when the delegation arrived) and "Czechs check out" (when they left...). Anything involving Germans had to feature "wurst/worst" etc etc. My favourite was a schoolboy who raised a load of cash to go to Machu Picchu: "You little t'Inca". :lol: I've resurrected that when ship's companies have visited... :D

As for "Gaudi, partners"... that returned as "Saudi, partners" recently. :)

This month's edition was relatively pun-free and the December edition's looking the same. :( Maybe there will be a pundemic in the new year...

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer

Asst_Ed said:
...This month's edition was relatively pun-free and the December edition's looking the same. :( Maybe there will be a pundemic in the new year...

Why? You gonna invite BR/JJ/MLP into the office as "Guest Editors"?! :shock: :twisted:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Asst_Ed: When the Septics get bored of bombing Iraq and Ghanners and decide to move their attention to other dictatorships, will you be reporting the RN's deployment to East Asia thus:

"HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE KOREA?"

If not, can I copyright that one now, please..? :wink:

Asst_Ed

Lantern Swinger

Nope, cos the Currant Bun used it a few years back. On the cover. With the puppet from Team America. :D

No chance either to use "Korea opportunities" or "Korea change" as I've already used 'em.

I believe "Seoul provider" is free though. :lol:

I'm still amazed I got away with the demise of the R worn by RNR officers... or "Rs end for reservists".

Mind you I got stopped from using one about an RNR conference: "A day of talking Rs" and "Norfolk enchants at maritime spectacular" when F230 visited some festival in Brest... Had to replace the latter with "Norfolk wows Brittany's peers". :lol:

I'll never forget coming down to breakfast during a skiing holiday in Italy to see the brand new bride of a sailor wearing a tee shirt emblazoned with:

[align=center]WE DON'T SMOKE
WE DON'T DRINK
NORFOLK![/align]

(And that was the old County Class DLG/GMD.)

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
...okay, then. What about when the new carrier goes into refit:

"Queen Elizabeth Has Her Bottom Scraped"

:oops: :wink:

sgtpepperband said:
...okay, then. What about when the new carrier goes into refit:

"Queen Elizabeth Has Her Bottom Scraped"

:oops: :wink:

This smacks of the possibly apocryphal signal sent about a certain paddle minesweeper during the Dunkirk evacuation:

"Gracie Fields is making water in Dunkirk and requires immediate assistance."

Sadly, Gracie Fields was sunk during one of her crossings.

Asst_Ed

Lantern Swinger
One never jokes when Her Majesty is involved. ;-)

Anyway, I solemnly promise never to use "Enter the Dragon"... except in a post-modern ironic sense...

Here be Dragon is perfectly ok though.

The previous editor always used the word "wizard" (and associated magical tomfoolery) in conjunction with anything to do with Merlin. "Wizard show from Merlin/Merlin casts its spell...").

The ones I hate are Northumberland, Campbeltown and Somerset - nothing at all I can pun with on those (and Northumberland invariably busts the line when typesetting. :( ) Damn the ship's names committee...

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Good job Rum Ration wasn't around in Victorian times, when the explorer Sir Vivian Fuchs, as the founder and head of the British Antarctic Survey spent a lot of time plodding his way around the globe’s frozen wastes.

His exploits were keenly followed by the media of the day, and he became something of a newspaper hero with stories such as "Savage cold could halt Fuchs" and "Sir Vivian Fuchs at Palace", along with "Sir Vivian Fuchs for Antarctic gracing their columns... :oops:

Asst_Ed

Lantern Swinger
sgtpepperband said:
Good job Rum Ration wasn't around in Victorian times, when the explorer Sir Vivian Fuchs, as the founder and head of the British Antarctic Survey spent a lot of time plodding his way around the globe’s frozen wastes.

His exploits were keenly followed by the media of the day, and he became something of a newspaper hero with stories such as "Savage cold could halt Fuchs" and "Sir Vivian Fuchs at Palace", along with "Sir Vivian Fuchs for Antarctic gracing their columns... :oops:

On my journalism training course many moons ago there was a (possibly) an apocryphal headline from the Torygraph from the 60s featuring some bigwig of the day: Dr Fuchs off to Africa. The sub apparently was fired...

More recently, we did have the German footballer Stefan Kuntz. If only he had ten brothers, than the Germans could have had a team of...

ml05039

Badgeman
Scouse_Castaway said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
"Bid D"? Makes her sound like a bloody peanut!

Mmmmmn wouldnt mind a few 'trials' with her :p

Yeh and I bet just like the article, the American equivalent is much larger and old as fcuk..

(I do realise that this is probably an American ad :p)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Big boost for tiny tech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nuclear employees WiN big at national diversity conference MoD News 0
slim Big Issue Seller News Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister visits small Ipswich company which has played big part in... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Trustworthiness of information from big data sets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Timeline visualisation for provenance-based big data sensemaking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Knowledge based autonomous big data validation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Hypothesis generation and visualisation from big data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: autonomy and big data for defence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: open-source big data insight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Easing big-data information overload and precision navigation MoD News 0
soleil Pompey News: "It’s Like A Big Family" SCC and URNU 0
soleil Navy News: "Big Names For Daring In The Big Apple" The Fleet 0
soleil Navy News: "Big Screen Berets" The Corps 0
MoD_RSS Research News at FCERM MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: change of number for Welsh language helpline MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: Crown Court Digital Case System claims work boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: register for ‘Common Platform’ early adopter rollout MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: tender opens for police station telephone advice work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Edition 23: News from the Adjudicator MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity Commission News: Issue 65 MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news October 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: legal guidance to prepare for 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: rollout of secure file exchange wins praise MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Good News - For RFA, Brit Shipbuiders, RN Support & Brit Taxpayer RFA 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: online guidance for sending hearing fees rollout MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: recruitment launch for Legal Aid Review Panel MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Civil news: opportunity to bid for telephone advice contracts MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news September 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: faster payments and new fees for immigration work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: HPCDS guidance updated as courts restart work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: tender opportunity for housing and debt work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: revised expert witness guidance available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: contract amends for sending hearing fees rollout MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: updated Crown Court fee guidance and new claim forms MoD News 0
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: tender opportunities for telephone legal advice MoD News 0
higthepig Bad news The Quarterdeck 14
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
higthepig Navy news August 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: extension of 2017 crime contract to 31 March 2022 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: expressions of interest invited for HPCDS work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: updates to electronic handbook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: Disbursements billing revised MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: further changes to increase payments on account applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: New contract schedules available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: opportunity to tender for HPCDS work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: CWA codes updated after telephone gateway’s removal MoD News 0