My running's pretty weird...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by _Tim_, Jan 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to the gym and did a 7 minute mile before flagging- I think it was wathcing the clock that did it rather than the running tiring me out.

I went out on the road tonight, and there's a sign I use as a marker. It used to take me 2:30 minutes to get there, but now it takes me 1minute 40 seconds. However, my total 1 mile time is staying the same- or not improving much. I won't say what it is.

I'm getting faster over relatively short distances, but not improving over long ones.

Ideas or tips anyone?

Tim

2. Whats a long distance to you? hard to gauge from your post

3. Ok. For simplicity's sake, let's say I'm quicker over half a mile on road, but then slow right down after that and my overall 1 mile time is not improving.

But if I go on a treadmill it's MUCH quicker.

4. This is a very simple problem, with a very simple solution.

The problem is that you are trying to run faster than you are capable of running over that distance. You should aim to run at a constant speed, with a sprint at the end if you think you've got the legs for it.

Try running 1.5 miles at a comfortable pace, then gradually increase your speed to what is required over a period of weeks. I suspect that you went to the gym and thought, "I should run this at Xm/s", and set off on the run.

The reasons you can run faster on a tread mill are two fold. There is no friction due to air and wind in the gym running on the spot. Running on a [good] treadmill is generally low impact when compared to running on a road.

5. Its simple really. Just put a sign on yer back saying " if ye catch me ye can shag me " and hang around ouside Thingies place,then off you go. Bet that you speed up a bit.

6. I just spat my coffee all over my keyboard, pmsl :lol:

7. If you're running on a treadmill, set the gradient to 1.5. Apparently this mimics a road surface more as you will never run along a flat road!

8. Its called stamina. Your rates of stamina are just different than they were in the previous case you mentioned. Obviously you've picked up short distance stamina, (the easier one to pick up) now start doing slower 4-8 mile runs and you will pick up long distance stamina too. Dont expect long distance stamina in a week though, a few months and you'll notice a good difference.

9. By the way this has nothing to do with your question but if you want a good tip for doing short runs like that, I always usually run 1.5 miles at the very least as thats the shortest one you should ever get assessed on but anyway.

Tip: You said you set markers on your route, which is a very good thing for training. However you said you passed your marker around 2.20 or something so obviously it was one of a few markers for your mile route. So, my advice is measure the exact half way point and mark that somehow, then make sure you get there in atleast 30 seconds clear of the half way time you will want to complete the run in. Meaning if you start slacking at the end you will only have to keep up your pace to get a good time.

Another thing lol, I always found it easier to push it out at the start of a short run rather than steady and then hard as most do. Simply because once you get past that stage of being knackered and your into your second breath it is far easier to open it up more because your not dieing and choking on your lungs lol. Whereas if you get that out of the way in the first two minutes, you will experience about 30-50 seconds of hard going and then it should be fine after that.

Not saying it will work for everyone, but I took that advice of a PTI a long time ago and my time went from 9 minutes ish to under 7:30 everytime in the space of 2 months.

It will be a tough one the whole way round, but it will turn you into that 'fit guy near or at the front' ;D

10. Thanks for the comments, quate. I found a good hill today so I think I'm just going to do some hill sprints for a couple of weeks and run on the treadmill once a week for the fitness test. I was impressed with myself today at the gym. I had the treadmill on a steady 10km/h for 2 minutes and thought "this is ridiculous" so upped it to 14km/h. Took me 4minutes before I broke a proper sweat. :thumright:

Ps. Do you think if I get some ankle weights and run my 1.5 mile route for 2 weeks with those, it will benefit my 1.5 mile run without the weights?

11. No sh1t!

Unless you set the treadmill on a proper gradient (2.5) then you are just lifting up your legs and putting them down again. But even that doesn't take into account wind resistance etc. As for ankle weights, are you kidding?

There is a proven method to vastly improving middle and long distance stamina. Get off the treadmill and get out and do some:

FARTLEK

12. I'm not exactly a fitness nut, so I'm just looking for advice really. Someone mentioned ankle weights to me, so I thought I'd ask.

The actual fartlek you linked me to...There's no chance I'd manage those. Would it work just as well if I modified it to my own capabilities?

13. The beauty of it is you can modify it as much as you like to suit you. I hit a plateau in my fitness ages ago and this was a godsend. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Just mix it up a it. Jog around at a comfortable pace until your warmed up then pick a landmark like a lamppost and sprint to it then revert back to a jog until you recover. Repeat until shagged.

Or if sprintings too much. Just go out for a run and vary your pace and effort throughout it's course.

You will feel the benefit mate, even in two weeks.

14. I found a good, straight route about half a mile long. I'll run it twice to warm up, I guess.
    If I go out tomorrow and put markers down, how far apart do you think I should lay them?

15. If your just starting out mate then whatevers comfortable for you. Maybe 400m jog then 50m sprints at 80% until you feel you're good and warm. then when it starts to burn, throw in some max effort sprints at the same interval until you're happy you're well worked out. Just make sure you do a good long warm up before the sprints, and warm down thoroughly, let us know how you got on.

16. Thanks, mate.

I'll either do it tomorrow or Thursday. I haven't decided which is my rest day this week.

17. If you find it too difficult then it doesn't have to be that strict, if you need longer recovery after your sprints than do so, as long as you keep moving its all beneficial. Also this isn't a substitute for your other phys, just incorporate this maybe twice a week.

18. I know i'm a bit late on this thread, but to the guy who mentioned ankle weights... DONT!!! they **** up your running gait, they will **** up your bio mechanics over time, if you need to run in boots as they are heavier than trainers and you may need to do it in the service.. especially if a bootneck, but do NOT use ankle weights for running, the only people who use these are those namby pamby cardio boxercise twats! because they think it makes them more hardcore than us real boxers and kickboxers. Rant over :) point being .. dont use ankle weights :)

19. No. But you'll look odd.

What you need to be doing is proper intervals. Find somewhere about 600m long (use Running, Running Maps and Running Routes, Runners Community | MapMyRUN if necessary) and then run that distance at the same pace you can run your half-mile at, if not a little slower. Then rest for 90 secs, and repeat. Do 4 reps to start of with, building up to 10 (add no more than 1 rep a week). The aim is that the first and the last rep should be done at the same pace, so if necessary, start a bit slow.

Once you can do 10 x 600m, increase the distance to 800m and repeat the build up process. Once you can do 10 x 800m, then increase the pace. Then smash the 1.5 mile test.

I would do one interval session a week, one hill reps session*, a tempo run (i.e. a sustained run at a middle distance for you (2 miles maybe?) and then a long run to round the week off (it sounds like you need to be doing about 4 - 5 miles, dead easy pace, something to really enjoy). Make sure you don't increase the mileage too quickly, so if necessary, introduce the tempo run and then once you are comfy with doing that, introduce the long run. Don't run through injury (this is how I currently have a fractured leg), and stretch well afterwards.

Only do a 'test' run once a month.

*a good hills session: run about a third of the way up (100m or so), and then back down, repeat 3 times; then 2/3rds of the way up, repeat twice, then all the way up and down, then 2/3rds of the way (twice), then a 1/3rd of the way up (three times). Rest for 3 minutes, repeat all over again. If you're not dead, repeat for the third time. The first time up the first third should be done at the same pace as the last time up the last third.

EDIT - I've now seen quite how old this thread is. Apologies.