My partners first deployment

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by hdutton4, Mar 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi :) My partner is due to go on his first deployment which he was told is 10 months but he said it will not be away for a solid 10 months, but I'm pretty confused. Can anyone explain? Also does anyone know how much contact they normally get with loved ones?

Many thanks :)
  2. Depends how much money they have when they get in port. As long as he has a few quid he can get in contact every night.
  3. Sorry I forgot to mention he is on a submarine?
  4. Not sure if that matters..
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes it matters, he won't be able to phone you when at sea. He will be able to email fairly regularly depending on exactly what the boat is doing and when they can transmit. A submariner type should be along soon enough to tell you how long a break he is likely to get. What branch is your chap?
  6. He is a submarine engineer who will be based on HMS ******
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I would edit what boat he's on if I were you. What type of engineer, marine or weapons?
  8. Oh so ****** is going away is it?
  9. Sure sounds like it but will be home for Chrimbo......hopefully.
  10. Have you thought of asking your partner for clarification?
  11. The unit will be deployed for 10, but there may be opportunity for him to take leave, or more likely fly you out to meet him.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  12. He's talking about 5th watch.

Every boat has more people than required (hopefully) and takes 4 watches to sea, 1 gets left behind and flies out to meet the boat wherever it pops up. That watch stays onboard and the next watch flies home for leave.

When the boat comes into port again, the watch on leave fly back and the next one flies home and so on until the boat gets back to the UK.

Some people manage to get a long 5th watch, some only a couple of weeks. It's all luck of the draw.

If he ends up as what is known as black watch, he'll do the whole trip but there's only a few black watch people, mainly officers but some ratings (the writer being one of them).
  13. Most TWS are black watch these days!
  14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

MOD note;

Edited where needed. Please remember OPSEC.
    • Like Like x 1