My Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by CuCkO0, Jan 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my medical in 3 days time. I'm still just slightly over the BMI, which I got told has to be 28 or below. If I fail, am I able to retake it? Also, how long would it be before I could retake it?

I may come across as being sure I'll fail, I'm not. I'm fairly confident. But just in case I thought I'd ask.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unless you have a particularly muscular frame you're unlikely to be passed fit with a bmi over 25, let alone 28.

In the event you are placed TMU on this issue, you'll be given a target weight to achieve. Your application will be deferred or withdrawn until you reach the target.

Good luck.
  3. Oh okay. Well once I had passed my RT, on the same day the lady told me it had to be 28 or below. I got weighed by her and asked my height and she worked it out.

If what you say is the case, should I get in contact and talk to them to get it rescheduled? I don't want to show up knowing 100% I shall fail as I want to pass.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

It's up to you. If you have any medical issues besides weight, it may well worth attending the medical to determine the precise target weight & if needs be, resolve any issues. If you defer the medical, reach the target weight & subsequently attend the medical expecting to be passed fit, you'll be hacked-off if you later find there are other medical issues that may affect suitability.
  5. Alright thank you. I will attend the medical date that has been set for me and work out any issues there. I have no other medical issues. Thanks for the advice.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

The bottom line is that the medical examiner calls the shots, no one else. If I'm wrong, you could otherwise be delaying your application unnecessarily.

Good luck.
  7. Difficult to know which one is correct I guess. I'm not 18 or under so 28 BMI is legitimate no? Then Ninja says differently, but I wouldn't have any idea.

Yeah I saw this coming, I wasn't exactly in the best of shape through school and college. Now I obviously have a solid reason to be.

Hense this thread though, just wanted to know as much as possible. I was pretty damn lazy in the fitness department.

All I can do is continue the healthy exercise path. Anyway, tad off topic. :p
  8. Ninja_Stoker

The BMI upper parameter, so I'm told, also relates to body fat, waist measurement, age & gender. If you are muscularly built, then the discretion maybe applied. 28 isn't a target, it's an exception when entering the service. As stated, don't take my word for it, see what the qualified medical professional advises.

With regard being otherwise OK, without wishing to be alarmist, many don't discover other issues, such as protein in urine, high blood pressure, colour perception deficiency, hearing loss, hypermobility, heart defects etc., until they undergo a medical examination. Again the qualified careers advice is to crack-on with the medical so you know exactly where you currently stand and where you need to be stood for entry into the Naval Service.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Well I'll go Friday as planned. I don't have any other issues as far as I'm aware, but as you said things could arise. However I really do hope not. thanks for the advice
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. In the event something does come up that he didn't know about, is it a straight fail and come back in twelve months or is it a case of go get it sorted and then come back?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  11. Ninja_Stoker

It depends what comes to light. Different conditions have different outcomes, some are a permanent bar, some are temporary and timescales can be anything between meeting a set parameter (weight) or being anything between 12-48 months free from treatment/symptoms etc.
  12. I had to take my BMI down from over 30 and attended my medical with a BMI of 26. I got my waist measured and passed. Waist under 37 inches I hear is the rule.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  13. Hey, thought I'd say what happend today medical wise.

I passed everything apart from my weight, let down really but I knew it was coming. Got told to go back in 2 months.

I rang up the careers office and they set me a date for the 31st of march. Time to work twice as hard!

I got told that the waist needs to be 97cm or below, mine was 115cm. Quite a difference but I'm determined to get it done.
  14. Well thats not too bad then . If you dont reduce your BMI and waist to the correct entry levels then you have shown yourself that you dont have the desire to be in the armed forces . You only have yourself to rely on and it is down to you.

Good luck, work hard and prove to yourself that you are worth it.
  15. 115 cms down to 97 cms in 6 weeks? Phew, good luck with that.
  16. Is 18cm off your waist doable in a month and a half?! I'm surprised a doc would tell you to do that - sounds like it would be an unhealthily rapid loss.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  17. I honestly cannot believe that you would even attend a medical for a branch of the Forces with a weight issue/jelly belly of that size. WTF were you thinking?

Or is it just me?
  18. Maybe they meant the 2 months as a 'check in' point? It is possible to lose weight really fast (year 11 ball dress fiasco), but not healthy especially if you are training as well. Need dem carbs and protein. Did they offer any dietry advice?
  19. He said to me 2-3 months. I sorted out a date with the careers office for 2 months as I want this and am perfectly willing to work my arse off.

Even if I don't make the deadline, all I need to do is ring up and ask for a different date.

He gave me no advice diet wise nor did he fitness wise. Just told me my target and I accepted it.

Was there any point in you commenting, or is it just me? Pointless negativity is really not needed.

I apologise if what I want to achieve offends.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014