My medical experience

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by lorna1204, Mar 17, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For those on here with a sharp tongue, I am aware there is an abundance of medical threads knocking about, however I thought I'd share my experience as I was particularly dreading the medical. I was informed by my CA that 90% don't pass first time. I got myself so worked up and worried after reading some of the issues people seem to have stumbled across regarding their medicals. TMU/P8, waiting time if TMU, the issues that caused them to be TMU/P8. It all seemed very stringent and intimidating.

Now all I can say is I'm going to assume it's the luck of the draw re medical examiner, as with things such as a driving examiner for example. It comes down to interpretation of the information they have been provided. Each dr will interpret it differently to a certain extent.

Other than the AFCO failing to provide my questionnaire and opticians report, everything ran smoothly. Luckily I had taken my medical records that related to everything declared on my questionnaire. The appointment went as follows:-

Discussed the issues in my records (recurrent joint dislocation, recurrent headaches, 1 bout of 'depression')
    Answered a series of questions re general medical history
    Eye/ears/throat examination
    Height/weight in underwear
    Laid on a bed and had reflexes/stomach/chest/breathing checked
    5 press ups in underwear
    Urine sample
    Eye test
    Hearing test

And with that I was done, the Dr concluded he wasn't concerned about anything in my records, and that I've passed following the opticians report Being fine (which it is). I was in there all of 15 minutes.

Now I obviously don't want people to read this and get their hopes up, however I found it very relaxed and not at all what I was expecting. I know things will be looked at on a case by case basis and risk assessed individually, I was just surprised at how it went so thought I'd give an insight to any one who maybe have their medical approaching.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Was the doctor called Rolf?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. He also took a chest measurement. Didn't really understand that one either :confused:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. I hope he warmed his hands up first :)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good effort. 90% TMU seems a rather high percentage for most area. But, the fact you had the presence of mind to follow the advice & bring copies of your medical records relating to the the medical issues declared undoubtedly saved you several weeks.

A shame your medical questionnaire & optician report form weren't forwarded by AFCO in time, pooh happens unfortunately, but onward and upward.

Give your AFCO a call to make sure the docs have been sent and ask them if they can send you the PJFT email - be aware they may be reluctant to send the PJFT stuff until they get the med notes signed-off.
  6. yes I'm going to call them tomorrow! If I can get my PJFT done within the next week or so it will have only been 6 weeks from applying! It's all happened sooner than I thought it would!
  7. seems to take an age to get the joining process done these days
    why is that? or is it standard???
    more so when you hear of recruits waiting 12 months+ to get to raleigh
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Generally speaking, most branches have a waiting time,
    of between 3 to 6 months from test to entry.

Most delays are at the medical, due in part to the standards being more stringently applied, unforeseen issues arising, but also because some don't follow the advice to produce copies of their medical notes relating to declared issues, as advised in medical appointment letter.

Other delays occur due to applicants failing their recruit test, interview or fitness test. Some also fail the fitness assessments on PRNC which postpones their entry date.
  9. Can I ask if they contacted your gp for info and how long that took?
    I'm currently waiting for them to contact my gp and send over all the information and I just have a feeling that's gonna drag everything out!
  10. I went to my GP and got the documents before I attended my medical. I knew he would want to see them due to the information I disclosed so I made sure I had them all before to take with me, to stop the delay.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Ah that makes sense... I've not had my medical yet, spoke to them on the phone and they said they're going to request it from the gp before hand...
  12. Same here my pre med phone call was three weeks ago, i have all my records and was just awaiting an appointment ... have heard nothing since.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Presumably you are one of the 'lucky' few trialling the new, super-duper improved medical. This involves a pre-medical screening call to address any potential medical referral issues prior to the first medical appointment.

In theory, this should reduce delays. Arguably it could simply move the delay ahead of the medical rather than after. Fingers-crossed, it does indeed turn out to be faster, but the proof is in the pudding.
  14. I believe so Ninja, got a missed call from capita health rang back and did pre screening with a nurse? ... she got a bit confused when I said the RAF did my ear op as a lad in 94 (dad in army) ... she took this as me being in the RAF and asked for my service record (twice) ... I took her through my birthday, I pointed out i would have been 13 and wouldnt have been in the RAF (she typed away but dont think she got it) ... anyways ... after that she said she would send it 'all' onto the doctor ... didnt hear anything and still havent???? .. rang and emailed afco see if anything i need to do was told to wait ... this is despite saying can we get you on the next course asap? .. oh well as i am older, I will have to wait doesnt mean i am any less keen but bit of a poor show for young ones who are keen .... Thanks though :eek:)
  15. Ninja_Stoker

There are those of a cynical disposition that may conclude the only difference is the point at which the delay occurs. Not me though, never.

Hope it all gets sorted pronto - good luck.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Noted and would NEVER suggest otherwise lol - and thanks
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 15 minutes? seems a lot to get in !.

On the eye exam and eye test was it full snellen? ie looking in your eyes (i wear glasses and contacts is all i am asking for) my eyes are ok but obviously glasses and i can pass the snellen but just wanted to know if i can wear contacts or take the glasses !
  18. I believe he medical letter says to remove contacts about 48 hours before. I think you need to take glasses with you though. It was a look in the eyes with the light and then letters on the other end of the room and read them like at the opticians.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Great thanks
  20. From what I just read you weren't inspected in the groin area. Which is fine I guess.