My Grandad

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by padlock, Aug 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone how are ya all?
    I was wondering if someone here could give me a few words of wisdom.
    What it is, is my Grandad died recently. He was in the Navy from the late 40's til the early 70's. We are having a family gathering to scatter his ashes at sea. We leave from Dover on Friday.
    Could anyone recommend some words to say on his final departure???
    Is there a Navy prayer we could recite??
    My Dad has mentioned we could say a verse from "those in peril on the sea"
    But we are kinda unsure what would be appropriate.
    Cheers in advance
  2. Hello Pete.

I am sorry to hear about your Grandad.

I know that contributors to this site will have ideas on this for you over the next few days.

One of us will ask one of the Navy's padres (chaplains) for some suggestions for you, too.
  3. Thanks for your kind words.
    My Grandad lived a good life and had no regrets so we are all happy he is now at peace.
    I appreciate all your input i will talk with my old man and see what he thinks we should do.
    Soleil.... I will be interested to see what the Padre has to say too so please let me know
    Once again thanks everyone.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Unless intending to hold a full committal service conducted by a Naval Padre, which can be requested if desired, the Naval Prayer posted by Webby would be entirely appropriate & befitting of the occasion, without being overly formal.

Generally speaking if you wish to scatter ashes from a commercial ferry, for example, it is best to contact the company beforehand for help & advice on how, when & where is appropriate to avoid any mishaps or family upset if a member of the company has to stop an impromptu gathering amidst unsuspecting fellow passengers.

Hope all goes well.
  5. Take a look here. This page is for ex-RM having ashes spread at sea, but I seem to remember a similar service exists for ex-RN.
  6. We used this at my Fathers service as well as the normal service material. I think it is used at very many Naval Funerals, he wrote it whilst crossing to the Isle of Wight.
    When I go I want to be launched off of the Queen Elizabeth on a Sunday afternoon in August during a World Cup final, that way they will remember me all right. By the time she is built I will be 112 anyway.

Alfred Tennyson, Lord Tennyson

Crossing the Bar

SUNSET and evening star,
    And one clear call for me!
    And may there be no moaning of the bar,
    When I put out to sea,
    But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
    Too full for sound and foam,
    When that which drew from out the boundless deep
    Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
    And after that the dark!
    And may there be no sadness or farewell,
    When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
    The flood may bear me far,
    I hope to see my Pilot face to face
    When I have crost the bar.
  7. Hi,

Sorry to hear your news, but this may help:-

The contact for the Portsmouth Chaplaincy

Trinity Centre 02392 724815 or please contact NB Chaplaincy 02392 722915 Out of Hours contact in an Emergency OOW on 02392 723875 for Duty Chaplain.

8. The Royal Navy carries out the scattering of cremated remains at sea from Portsmouth every Wednesday except in August and at Christmas. For more information please contact: Alan Lee, Verger, The Chaplaincy, Admiralty House, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, Hants, PO1 3LS. Telephone: 02392 724232.

Have just confirmed these details by talking to Alan Lee himself while enquiring on behalf of someone else.
  9. I cant thank you all enough for all your interest in this matter.
    It means a lot to me and i'm sure my Grandad would be proud that all his fellow Sailors contributed so much.
    But after long consideration me and my old man came across this one on the net:
    WE therefore commit his body to the deep, to be turned into corruption, looking for the resurrection of the body (when the sea shall give up her dead,) and the life of the world to come, through our Lord Jesus Christ, Amen.
    My old man thinks this will do the trick ( he is an ex bootneck :roll: )
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks again
  10. that sounds fitting - condolences