My first run ashore......sort of....

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Kiwi-Fi, Jan 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got back from spending New Year in Dubai. Was out having a few quiet drinks with my mates when an Aussie guy comes up and asks us if the lads can buy us a drink. Turns out they were officers in the RAN on HMAS Arunta and in port in Dubai.

They spent most of the evening trying to talk me out of joining the RN as a rating and joining the Aussies as an officer ( I was having none of it!) But out of curiosity, I had a look at their website, and did you know that they recruit people up to the age of 55!!!!! I was gobsmacked!!! I wonder how many people decide to join up in there 50's? And here was me thinking I was old at 33! :mrgreen:

2. Kiwi - Fi you might be amazed at how many people are jumping ship and opting for a career down under. I personally know many. The Aussies have been over here actively poaching, sorry I mean recruiting in both Portsmouth and Plymouth. Recently they have increased the age to which you can serve , It is now 60!

3. I'd have though it would be an advantage to recruit certain officers later in life.
    Doctors or bible bosuns for instance.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm still shocked that an Aussie bought a Kiwi a drink! You must be fit then... 8O :lol:

5. This looks like a class TV Drama to me - my eye was caught by this description.

"Lieutenant Commander Mike Flynn, the Commanding Officer of HMAS Hammersley, is 38, having joined the Navy at the age of 17 and worked his way up through the ranks, making him what's called in the Navy a "changeover man"."

I would have put a totally different interpretation on the term "Changeover Man"!!!

6. I've been delving into the characters of this clearly wonderful drama and found that the Buffer has a major crush on the NO - I hope that when I was an NO the Buffer didn't fancy me!

I also noted that the XO and NO obviously have a hard time as there sdon't seem to be any other watchkeeping officers, so it's watch and watch about for them then!

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just had a look at the Australian Armed Forces Website and have to say I was very impressed!

They actually recruit between the Ages of 17 and 60, you can make an online application to join the service, you can track your application online to see where you are in the system & whether thay need any details from you, you can "speak" with an online recruiter in an interactive "live-chat" 24/7 to ask specific questions.

The Aussies are light-years ahead of us.

8. Sea Patrol :pukel: I will state here and now that this show in no way reflects life in the RAN. Even though the northern patrollies have a well deserved reputation for being McHales Navy, the shite that this show puts up is over the top.

On a more serious note, I despair for the future of the RAN. Instead of training and retaining our own people, we are still taking the easy option of recruiting trained people from overseas to make up the shortfalls. This is no way to run a navy.

BTW, in Sea Patrol, the NO actually wants to root the Killick Greenie, not the Buffer. - Yes, sadly, I do watch it.

9. Well having consulted the website I can see he is a lot better looking than the average Greenie!

(Covering my head from incoming from all the greenies on here!)

10. [quote="Ninja_Stoker]
    They actually recruit between the Ages of 17 and 60, you can make an online application to join the service, you can track your application online to see where you are in the system & whether thay need any details from you, you can "speak" with an online recruiter in an interactive "live-chat" 24/7 to ask specific questions.

The Aussies are light-years ahead of us.[/quote]

But Ninja you are already single handedly providing us with online 24/7, live(ish) recruitment advice! Or at least it feels like you are anyway :thumright:

And NZB there were actually a couple of female occifers and I think one of them might have been just your type!

11. Sea Patrol looks like Oscar material compared to the UK's recent attempt at a naval television drama.beer boat productions

12. 'Sea Patrol' is dross, rubbish acting (Lots of gazing mistily into the opposite sexes eyes and sighing wistfully/build up of sexual tension obvious and contrived.), but the patrol boats look good and they fire the .50 cal at the drop of a hat.
    I must say that it is the only TV drama series that I have heard "What's for scran today, Buffer?" or some such salty lingo so often in an hour. (Can't really remember if 'Warship' used RN slang or not, probably.)
    Still may be good for recruitment for the RAN, they certainly seem to give the production team owt they require.
    NZB

13. They use very sneaky recruitment tactics too! I got an email from one of them asking if he'd mentioned that the Drog ships are based in Cairns and spend most of their time surveying the barrier reef.......I'm sure I'd get sick of all that clear water, coral and pretty fish very quickly :nemo: ..............now what was that recruitment site again......

14. ....Hemp and chips with red admar gravy :rendeer: :rendeer: