Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first run ashore......sort of....

Just got back from spending New Year in Dubai. Was out having a few quiet drinks with my mates when an Aussie guy comes up and asks us if the lads can buy us a drink. Turns out they were officers in the RAN on HMAS Arunta and in port in Dubai.

They spent most of the evening trying to talk me out of joining the RN as a rating and joining the Aussies as an officer ( I was having none of it!) But out of curiosity, I had a look at their website, and did you know that they recruit people up to the age of 55!!!!! I was gobsmacked!!! I wonder how many people decide to join up in there 50's? And here was me thinking I was old at 33! :mrgreen:

IDOITDEEPER

War Hero
Kiwi - Fi you might be amazed at how many people are jumping ship and opting for a career down under. I personally know many. The Aussies have been over here actively poaching, sorry I mean recruiting in both Portsmouth and Plymouth. Recently they have increased the age to which you can serve , It is now 60!

I'd have though it would be an advantage to recruit certain officers later in life.
Doctors or bible bosuns for instance.

penrecon

Lantern Swinger
This looks like a class TV Drama to me - my eye was caught by this description.

"Lieutenant Commander Mike Flynn, the Commanding Officer of HMAS Hammersley, is 38, having joined the Navy at the age of 17 and worked his way up through the ranks, making him what's called in the Navy a "changeover man"."

I would have put a totally different interpretation on the term "Changeover Man"!!!

penrecon

Lantern Swinger
I've been delving into the characters of this clearly wonderful drama and found that the Buffer has a major crush on the NO - I hope that when I was an NO the Buffer didn't fancy me!

I also noted that the XO and NO obviously have a hard time as there sdon't seem to be any other watchkeeping officers, so it's watch and watch about for them then!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Kiwi-Fi said:
They spent most of the evening trying to talk me out of joining the RN as a rating and joining the Aussies as an officer ( I was having none of it!) But out of curiosity, I had a look at their website, and did you know that they recruit people up to the age of 55!!!!! I was gobsmacked!!! I wonder how many people decide to join up in there 50's? And here was me thinking I was old at 33! :mrgreen:

Just had a look at the Australian Armed Forces Website and have to say I was very impressed!

They actually recruit between the Ages of 17 and 60, you can make an online application to join the service, you can track your application online to see where you are in the system & whether thay need any details from you, you can "speak" with an online recruiter in an interactive "live-chat" 24/7 to ask specific questions.

The Aussies are light-years ahead of us.

Jack77

War Hero
Sea Patrol :pukel: I will state here and now that this show in no way reflects life in the RAN. Even though the northern patrollies have a well deserved reputation for being McHales Navy, the shite that this show puts up is over the top.

On a more serious note, I despair for the future of the RAN. Instead of training and retaining our own people, we are still taking the easy option of recruiting trained people from overseas to make up the shortfalls. This is no way to run a navy.

BTW, in Sea Patrol, the NO actually wants to root the Killick Greenie, not the Buffer. - Yes, sadly, I do watch it.

penrecon

Lantern Swinger
Jack77 said:
BTW, in Sea Patrol, the NO actually wants to root the Killick Greenie, not the Buffer. - Yes, sadly, I do watch it.

Well having consulted the website I can see he is a lot better looking than the average Greenie!

(Covering my head from incoming from all the greenies on here!)

[quote="Ninja_Stoker]
They actually recruit between the Ages of 17 and 60, you can make an online application to join the service, you can track your application online to see where you are in the system & whether thay need any details from you, you can "speak" with an online recruiter in an interactive "live-chat" 24/7 to ask specific questions.

The Aussies are light-years ahead of us.[/quote]

But Ninja you are already single handedly providing us with online 24/7, live(ish) recruitment advice! Or at least it feels like you are anyway :thumright:

And NZB there were actually a couple of female occifers and I think one of them might have been just your type!

clanky

War Hero
Jack77 said:
Sea Patrol :pukel: I will state here and now that this show in no way reflects life in the RAN. Even though the northern patrollies have a well deserved reputation for being McHales Navy, the shite that this show puts up is over the top.

On a more serious note, I despair for the future of the RAN. Instead of training and retaining our own people, we are still taking the easy option of recruiting trained people from overseas to make up the shortfalls. This is no way to run a navy.

Sea Patrol looks like Oscar material compared to the UK's recent attempt at a naval television drama.beer boat productions

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
'Sea Patrol' is dross, rubbish acting (Lots of gazing mistily into the opposite sexes eyes and sighing wistfully/build up of sexual tension obvious and contrived.), but the patrol boats look good and they fire the .50 cal at the drop of a hat.
I must say that it is the only TV drama series that I have heard "What's for scran today, Buffer?" or some such salty lingo so often in an hour. (Can't really remember if 'Warship' used RN slang or not, probably.)
Still may be good for recruitment for the RAN, they certainly seem to give the production team owt they require.
NZB

They use very sneaky recruitment tactics too! I got an email from one of them asking if he'd mentioned that the Drog ships are based in Cairns and spend most of their time surveying the barrier reef.......I'm sure I'd get sick of all that clear water, coral and pretty fish very quickly :nemo: ..............now what was that recruitment site again......

stirling2

Banned
NZ_Bootneck said:
'Sea Patrol' is dross, rubbish acting (Lots of gazing mistily into the opposite sexes eyes and sighing wistfully/build up of sexual tension obvious and contrived.), but the patrol boats look good and they fire the .50 cal at the drop of a hat.
I must say that it is the only TV drama series that I have heard "What's for scran today, Buffer?" or some such salty lingo so often in an hour. (Can't really remember if 'Warship' used RN slang or not, probably.)
Still may be good for recruitment for the RAN, they certainly seem to give the production team owt they require.
NZB
....Hemp and chips with red admar gravy :rendeer: :rendeer:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D South Africa. Used to be a great run ashore for us--Now! Diamond Lil's 9
JedS Best run ashore town/city you visited. The Quarterdeck 18
A Most interesting run ashore History 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp A run ashore in Oz. (Way back, even before Rummers) History 1
BillyNoMates RM run ashore rig unveiled. The Corps 9
stan_the_man What a run ashore that was Diamond Lil's 4
Rodgersthecabinboy That was some run ashore!!!! Diamond Lil's 1
F Run ashore Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Run ashore Miscellaneous 0
stan_the_man The Birthday run ashore Diamond Lil's 1
2_deck_dash Christmas Run Ashore - London Social & Reunions 44
tommo Raleigh Trainees rig run ashore? Diamond Lil's 21
2_deck_dash The greatest trophy from a run ashore..... Diamond Lil's 16
2_deck_dash Rumration run ashore Diamond Lil's 165
ClearDoNothing Run Ashore Ignorance Diamond Lil's 11
jesse Well who would you like a run ashore with? Diamond Lil's 33
silverfox Flaming Joe's - now there was a run ashore....... Diamond Lil's 5
The_Jimmy Run Ashore Diamond Lil's 13
L Run ashore Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
F Own up, what have you 'taken' as a trophy on a run ashore? Diamond Lil's 3
P BEST RUN ASHORE The Quarterdeck 34
rod-gearing Excuse for Birthday Run Ashore Diamond Lil's 8
dondon So whens the next RR Run Ashore in Guzz . Diamond Lil's 25
Ships_Cat Best Run ashore ever? The Gash Barge 1
Father_Famine Run Ashore in London Diamond Lil's 15
golden_rivet run ashore Thursday 22nd March ??? Social & Reunions 11
W My worst run ashore Diamond Lil's 1
Canaldrifter Pompey RR Run Ashore Diamond Lil's 4
The_Caretaker Run ashore Diamond Lil's 0
brazenhussy pompey run ashore???? Social & Reunions 19
G Run Ashore Rig The Corps 1
Jimmy_Green Rum Ration Run Ashore The Quarterdeck 106
alhucoll Once Upon A Run Ashore.................. The Quarterdeck 28
L Uni/ARRSE/RR Crawl - Run Ashore type thing STUDENTS Social & Reunions 1
higthepig worst run ashore Diamond Lil's 66
PartTimePongo 'My best run ashore' History 87
MoD_RSS Somerset rivers stocked with fish in run-up to Christmas MoD News 0
pompeyexpat Capita to run training Current Affairs 15
R 2.4km run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS ACT for Youth: RUN HIDE TELL MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Canadian Diplomats team up for Terry Fox Anniversary Run MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New online register of charities “widens the public’s window” into how charities are run MoD News 0
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Run for Heroes founder wins PM award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trustee operated without oversight at ‘inadequately run’ charity finds Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 'Plymouth's worst fly-tipper' jailed after 3 years on the run MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Serco awarded contract to run Gatwick immigration removal centres MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mother banned for allowing disqualified son to run company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Snowbird Mk IV, accident during ground run and taxi test MoD News 0
MorganCUFC Run Times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1