My Fathers Naval Pension

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by Brian Hicks, Aug 3, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,
    My father was in the Royal Navy from 1944 until 1957. He became a Petty officer and was offered a commission which he refused. When died aged 50 in 1977. My mother got a Civil service pension for three years until she died aged 53. None of my family have any recollection of her ever receiving any naval pension.

Would she have been entitled to anything? And therefore can we claim it for dad's service?

Many thanks

Brian

2. No pension I'm afraid, but have you claimed his Post War Credits?

3. When you father served, he would have had to have served 22 years to be entitled to pension benefits. In those days there was no such thing as preserved pension benefits, I am afraid - they didn't come in until 1973 and, even then, were very limited.

4. Thank you to you both for your replies. Don't think anyone would have claimed 'Post war credits' who do I contact? do you know?
    Thanks

5. Google Post War Credits and follow the Unclaimed bit.TheTreasury tell us they have a large sum remaining unclaimed. Your late father served in the tail end WW2--- so don't book your World Cruise just yet.