My dad's dagger

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Ians_lad, Oct 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (Maybe not in the right place; if not, then sorry)

I recently inherited my dad's commando dagger, from his days in 45 ('56-58 ). I was suprised to find that the edges weren't sharpened; is this normal for this weapon.

I'm an ex-infanteer, and the dagger was partly the cause of the PTSD that blighted the latter part of my old man's life, so please don't think that this is just a question from a walt who wants to charge around his living room showing the cat how hard he is. It just seems odd to me.

Thanks

2. Hi i'm not an expert but have a mate in the RM and i think its to do with the fact that the commando dagger is meant to stab and not slash or saw, if that makes any sense, but i may be corrected.

3. The Dagger is in its original 'as issued ' condition -sharp tip and the edges
    ground but not sharp. It was a users option to do the 'sharpening'

Its worth more as it is !!!

4. Nice keepsake and despite the value I would hope you wouldn't part with it.

I agree with ma(sm). I'm pretty certain that I read something along those lines in the past. regrettably I can't quite put my finger on exactly where.

There is some related info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbairn-Sykes_fighting_knife if you're interested.

SF

5. Thanks gents, that makes sense. I won't be selling it, though!