Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

'My best run ashore'

What constitutes 'best' run ashore? Getting your end away, getting p1ssed, getting filled in and then loosing your paybook [or ID card these days] and not necessarily in that order? :D
For me it was probably Recife in Brazil 1960....or was it The Gut, Malta 1958................or was it Alongapo in 1968............or was it Utapao airfield in 1974 where we were put up in a gorified brothel by the RNLO from Bangkok, full board paid for by the navy for a whole weekbecause it was t only accom available? etc., etc.,

My most remembered run ashore was Darwin

Fukc all there the abo's are ugly ,Oz beer is crap thats why they serve it in jugs

AND if ever a Oz taxi driver spins a dit about he was a helo pilot in Vietnam and has a crocodile farm -------------believe him

Guest at Skippers table --- :roll: :roll:

Singapore including Bugis Street
Hong Kong down Wanchia
Amsterdam
St Tropai
And many others around the globe, the best runs ashore were what you made them. Usually I & I (Intercourse and Intoxication )

sidon 55,sorry for not replying sooner,had log in probs,seems good now(thanks admin).Had a typo error on my user name ,should be Tingira.
So both were used as training vessels/hulks for boy seamen,then along comes the newer HMS Ganges/HMAS Leeuwin,think Ganges shut 76,Leeuwin in the mid 80s due to pc bollocks that lads under 18 couldnt go to war----- many 17 year old ords from Leeuwin went to nam.
Presently work with a man ,Ganges he joined.
Thank fcuck we had no button boy at Leeuwin.

PartTimePongo said:
OK , you can pull up a lifejacket, or whatever it is the Tars say , and spin your dits of the best bars and runs ashore back in the day.

What were the best ports and why , where was the best beer and girls?

Let's have your horror stories :)

er! pardon me, is this just for the men or can us girlies pull up a bean bag or two?

Best run ashore - true dit,ne an me mate got legless after an Anzac day march down in Geelong long time ago,Him ringin his missus saying i love etc etc.Get back onbard,put the rig on and exit stage left across midship no gangway.2200,stilll a civilised time,eh not for the wharf guard and oow ,chasing both of us along wharf,we outrun them as you would.
Thumbs out on highway,Big mac stops,hop in fellas,sweet,Sydney -sorry the roads closed,all flooded,nothing to Sydney tonight.DUHH!!!!!!
Skip a few pages,back in Russel st cop shop,they take us back onboard.
Off caps,with the chief coxn smirkin,the captain restraing a blink ,you know what we got - failing to put a short leave card in the box.All chooks were served at sea.Now thats a fair dinkum run ashore.

Hull , Swansea
Kuta beach Bali , Penang . I was a little too young to kick the arse of them still had a cracking time on station leave .
Worst has to be Rothesey after a T-boat had pulled down a fishing boat ,
not welcome at all .

pipthechopper said:
In my humble opinion as a brave keeper of the deep, there are no bad runs ashore only bad runners...Bermadoo is tops though.

I agree with pipthechopper a run ashore is what you make it, but I have to say that the States have always been great especially St Petersburg for Chistmas and New Year.

Tingara said:
sidon 55,sorry for not replying sooner,had log in probs,seems good now(thanks admin).Had a typo error on my user name ,should be Tingira.
So both were used as training vessels/hulks for boy seamen,then along comes the newer HMS Ganges/HMAS Leeuwin,think Ganges shut 76,Leeuwin in the mid 80s due to pc bollocks that lads under 18 couldnt go to war----- many 17 year old ords from Leeuwin went to nam.
Presently work with a man ,Ganges he joined.
Thank fcuck we had no button boy at Leeuwin.

Like Ganges, the lads on Tingara moved ashore to Leeuwin and wore the HMAS Tingara cap tally. After the boy seaman catogory was changed to Junior Seaman the lads wore HMAS Leeuwin and a shoulder patch with Tingara on it. The ship Tingara was a passenger vessel and was rated as top of her class in her glory days. The lads on joining got a sailors outfit and their civvy clothes were tossed overboard. They origionally were only taught the 3 R's and as it was a civvy outfit but when the Navy took it over they then got the same training as Ganges Lads. Don't know what year that was, but I think it was after Ganges was established

Agree with Ratrat, the States has got to be the best - don't even have to work at grippos, baron strangling etc.
"Gee, I really love you british sailors; come home & meet my beautiful 18 yr old daughter, she'll love you too (long time).

Ratrat: wasn't St Petes for chrimbo/new year 1984 in Liverpool was it ?

Latest Threads