'My best run ashore'

Discussion in 'History' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK , you can pull up a lifejacket, or whatever it is the Tars say , and spin your dits of the best bars and runs ashore back in the day.

What were the best ports and why , where was the best beer and girls?

Let's have your horror stories :)
  2. My favorite so far has to be Maputo (Mozambique). The odd thing is I can't put put my finger on why it was such a good run.
  3. Well I`ve been all over the world and the best run ashore was up the river to Newcastle

Would have been even better if I spoke the language.
  4. Gibraltar , Charlies Hole in the wall .Ran by Charlie a puff
    with a bent Boxer dog .Not my best run ashore , but my first
    as a 16 year old green Junior Seaman . Never forget it ,drinking
    JC's whilst waiting for my turn to have a tattoo at the parlour
    over the road .
  5. Subic 72- nearly a month,only time I looked forward to duty watch,1 in 4.
    San Francisco 72 - free love for 7 months.
    Mombassa 73 - Sunshine Club - amazing tiger skin mini skirts
    Hawaii - 75 - sitting on Waimea Bay beach crackin large tins of Fosters the 750ml,watching the body surfers get hammered by the HHHuge Waves.
    Spithead Review 77,cold,windy,cut a long story short I ended up in Havant and Hayling Island ,she was good to marry.
    Havant -the White Stag or like?
    ps-working on sydney harbour........same same
  6. forgot to add the timeline,, 18 years old in 72,
    Bars -in Olongapo , later
  7. Agree with UncleAlbert, Newcastle....Time spent in the FP squad led to some cracking runs in UK and Northern European ports (the smaller ports where the 'larger' warships didn't get to go)

".....Old Buntings never die, they just get hauled down and stowed away."
  8. Noticed the name Tingara. Could there be a connection with Ganges as HMAS Tingara was the Oz equivilant. Somewhere in my possesions I have the complete history of the origional sailing ship Tingara
  9. Has to be Singapore. I was based there on a boat from 1969 - 1971. Went out there again on a boat in 1989 and have been back on hols in 2003, 2004 and 2006 (just got back last week)

Great runs ashore down the ville at Sembawang (Remember buying those sticky greens ?).

Mind you the ville is still there now but now only one bar.
  10. run ashore

You nicked my idea! Think you should put the kettle on and make me a wet :wink:
  11. A swift dozen down the G&D in Gosport then on to the curry house down squeezegut Alley then back to Haslar for last orders and a Burger from the Dolphin Oggy Waggon!
  12. Looking at it the other way round.....

Bad Run Ashore = anywhere in France...

Good Run Ashore = Anywhere else in the world,

UK = probably Hull
    Europe = Hamburg, Lisbon (Gib was always a laugh but I always ended up arrested as a JR, so it was never a fave)
    Rest of World... Singapore, Bali (before it had an airport), and New Caledonia among the gems plus Florida (Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach)
  13. I wasnt present at the time and wish i was but my Oppo Geordie F*nn was sold to a prossy in Hamburg for 200 cigs and a bottle of Johnny Walker.
  14. Ahhhhhhh but I meant historical runs ashore Jenny

"So there we was in Aden right........."
  15. Biaritz. We were visiting nearby St J de Lurs

Got first driving lesson there, from a non English speaking French Basque (I don't speak French) and considering I was pissed at the time made for an interesting event, to say the least.

Dunedin NZ. Like the way the sheep shaggers bring the keg around on a barrow at football matches.
  16. What constitutes 'best' run ashore? Getting your end away, getting p1ssed, getting filled in and then loosing your paybook [or ID card these days] and not necessarily in that order? :D
    For me it was probably Recife in Brazil 1960....or was it The Gut, Malta 1958................or was it Alongapo in 1968............or was it Utapao airfield in 1974 where we were put up in a gorified brothel by the RNLO from Bangkok, full board paid for by the navy for a whole weekbecause it was t only accom available? etc., etc.,
  17. My most remembered run ashore was Darwin

Fukc all there the abo's are ugly ,Oz beer is crap thats why they serve it in jugs

AND if ever a Oz taxi driver spins a dit about he was a helo pilot in Vietnam and has a crocodile farm -------------believe him

Guest at Skippers table --- :roll: :roll:
  18. Singapore including Bugis Street
    Hong Kong down Wanchia
    St Tropai
    And many others around the globe, the best runs ashore were what you made them. Usually I & I (Intercourse and Intoxication )
  19. sidon 55,sorry for not replying sooner,had log in probs,seems good now(thanks admin).Had a typo error on my user name ,should be Tingira.
    So both were used as training vessels/hulks for boy seamen,then along comes the newer HMS Ganges/HMAS Leeuwin,think Ganges shut 76,Leeuwin in the mid 80s due to pc bollocks that lads under 18 couldnt go to war----- many 17 year old ords from Leeuwin went to nam.
    Presently work with a man ,Ganges he joined.
    Thank fcuck we had no button boy at Leeuwin.

20. er! pardon me, is this just for the men or can us girlies pull up a bean bag or two?