My Application

Seeing as there are a number of these I'll start my own as opposed to posting snippets in various threads.

End of March I applied online and was then invited to book a Psychometric test less than a week later. Sat said test earlier this week and passed. I've applied to be a Writer in the Submarines. I'll be honest with regards to the test I done the one that was given on the portal and found it relatively easy. Do not fall into the same trap. On the day, in written form and given the question bank is very old it was a whole different kettle of fish. I would suggest you print practice papers off and do it against the clock. Given I'm a bit more mature (was asked if I was 50 by the bloke who conducted the post test brief) it maybe helped.

Went and had my eyes tested two days after I passed (first time in 11 years I was told) and swiftly went back to my AFCO to hand deliver all my medical documents along with a letter containing my NHS number as I did not have this on me the day of the test.

On that note the one piece of advice I would give is not to panic if you don't have certain documents. I didn't have photo ID or my NHS number (joys of not being ill enough I suppose) but had the opportunity to provide these at a later date. If you do not have anything with an NHS number just call into your practice and they can give you something with it on. Also I didn't have my eyes tested at a Boots, so again don't see the form an feel like that is mandatory.

Waiting for my next lot of correspondence now.

Just had a text and an email (in my inbox not my spam) arranging my triage phonecall for this week. Should I be worried I'm having a phonecall or is it common practice? AFCO said I may or may not have a phonecall. Just put a bit of concern in the back of my mind.

OddPot

Midshipman
Just had a text and an email (in my inbox not my spam) arranging my triage phonecall for this week. Should I be worried I'm having a phonecall or is it common practice? AFCO said I may or may not have a phonecall. Just put a bit of concern in the back of my mind.
That is normal. You will go through your medical form you filled out and sent to your AFCO.

Hvrry

Midshipman
Haha, I had a right problem getting my GP to send documents to Capita. The medical is fairly simple I very much doubt you could fail anything 'within' the medical itself. As long as you've not hurt yourself badly recently, you should be fine :)

Haha, I had a right problem getting my GP to send documents to Capita. The medical is fairly simple I very much doubt you could fail anything 'within' the medical itself. As long as you've not hurt yourself badly recently, you should be fine :)
Cheers. How did you resolve that issue? Is it a case of others have said of just going to your GP and persisting until they do?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whilst it's probably too late to make much difference to those posting on this thread - a few tips to help speed up your application:

Get Fit to Join before starting your application. Many delays are caused unnecessarily because people are not fit enough. Make sure you can pass the PJFT on a treadmill.

Make sure you have your birth certificate, a valid passport (ideally at least 12 months to run), your NI number and your NHS number when you submit your online application to join the Royal Navy.

Use the online practice Naval Service Recruit Test.

Prepare for the Selection Interview - know your training pipeline

If you need to declare any medical conditions on the medical questionnaire, you can save a lot of time by obtaining copies of your medical records relating specifically to the declared conditions and submit them at the same time as your Med Questionnaire and completed eye test forms. This can save weeks or months.

Make sure you fully complete your online security clearance application at the earliest opportunity, ideally after the selection interview otherwise, if you leave it until after passing PRMC, you will add a couple of months (or more) to your wait for entry.

Whilst it's probably too late to make much difference to those posting on this thread - a few tips to help speed up your application:

Get Fit to Join before starting your application. Many delays are caused unnecessarily because people are not fit enough. Make sure you can pass the PJFT on a treadmill.

Make sure you have your birth certificate, a valid passport (ideally at least 12 months to run), your NI number and your NHS number when you submit your online application to join the Royal Navy.

If you need to declare any medical conditions on the medical questionnaire, you can save a lot of time by obtaining copies of your medical records relating specifically to the declared conditions and submit them at the same time as your Med Questionnaire and completed eye test forms. This can save weeks or months.

Make sure you fully complete your online security clearance application at the earliest opportunity, ideally after the selection interview otherwise, if you leave it until after passing PRMC, you will add a couple of months (or more) to your wait for entry.
That ought to be a sticky on this part of the forum.

Thanks

The run I'm not too worried about, it's the rest of it. Think I underestimated how unfit I was. Which is concerning but I'm determined to work as hard as I can to get as fit as I can. Will just have to be something I discuss at the 1 to 1 interview perhaps?

With regards to the online security application... sorry? Nothing of this has been mentioned so far by AFCO and can I do this off my own back?

Had my phonecall today. Medical booked for next Thursday but in Bristol! Or I was waiting until August for it in Bridgend. Given my state of being far from fit though I might actually push it back until then.

Had my phonecall today. Medical booked for next Thursday but in Bristol! Or I was waiting until August for it in Bridgend. Given my state of being far from fit though I might actually push it back until then.
My advice would be to do exactly that, on a previous application my potential start date was 18 months away and I took the opportunity of an early medical for the sake of it, passed, and was then put on a PRNC straight after. I wasn't fit enough as I thought I had 18 months and then failed. Here I am basically 2 years later having had to be banned from reapplying for 1 year and then restarting the whole process.

In short get fit ASAP and don't proceed until absolutely ready or you could shoot yourself in the foot.

My advice would be to do exactly that, on a previous application my potential start date was 18 months away and I took the opportunity of an early medical for the sake of it, passed, and was then put on a PRNC straight after. I wasn't fit enough as I thought I had 18 months and then failed. Here I am basically 2 years later having had to be banned from reapplying for 1 year and then restarting the whole process.

In short get fit ASAP and don't proceed until absolutely ready or you could shoot yourself in the foot.
Will phone my AFCO tomorrow. Don't want to kill my chances by rushing the process myself where I'm trying to run before I can walk.

Don't want to do that, be given a PRNC date early, fail it and then ??? Because what does happen if you fail your PRNC? Is it literally a case of failing once, and being banned for a year from reapplying? Definitely not something I want too happen.

No you are made to come back and do it within 6 weeks, then if you fail that one you cant reapply for a year. However 6 weeks wasn't long enough for me to pass.

No you are made to come back and do it within 6 weeks, then if you fail that one you cant reapply for a year. However 6 weeks wasn't long enough for me to pass.
Crikey! Well my medical is now early August, I phoned the following day and rearranged it. I've signed up to a 5 week 'Bootcamp' at a nearby gym beginning the 23rd July. Which involves 3 sessions a week, circuit style, running and weights. Hopefully this will be a big help as I'm struggling at the minute. Following the Army Fitness App at present which is harder. Just need to make a more conscious effort with what I'm eating etc.

I phoned my AFCO out of courtesy regarding the rebooking of the medical. And well, it was indifferent. Just don't say you're doing it to get fitter (that's no reason to push a medical), in my instance there were genuine childcare issues which I quickly added and was told that was a better answer.

Last edited: